***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Windscreen washer pump dead?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

NinjaSlice
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Windscreen washer pump dead?

Postby NinjaSlice » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone ever had their windscreen washer pump die?

I just got back from a 3 week holiday, and the first time I started my VRX, the windscreen washer refused to spray. The wipers are still going, but no motor/pump noise coming form the engine bay, and no spray.

Has anyone had to replace the pump? Is it pretty easy to do?

Cheers

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Windscreen washer pump dead?

Postby lancerdarryl » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:15 pm

Fairly easy to get at you just need to unclip the plastic inner guard on the RHF to access the tank. Before you remove the pump give it a couple of gentle whacks it may start working if not replace the pump.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:34 pm

Check the simple things in life first
Lost count the amount of times a simple unplug and reseat the connection got something working again

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:42 am

After three weeks of sitting there a little corrosion could have built up around the plug and contacts, especially if it has been particularly muggy. As the others say, a quick check over before going through the hassle of removing it will save you some time if it is minor fix.

Still got water in the tank? I know when it is hot here the tubes dry out and they take a while to spray, and sometimes you don't realise its empty.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

NinjaSlice
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby NinjaSlice » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:37 pm

Definitely still got water in the tank, first thing I checked :)

Thanks for the advice guys, will unplug/re-plug and give it a little kick in the ribs to see if it wakes up! Will do that tonight and update on what happens!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:50 pm

If you need to replace it take loads of photos.

A while back I had a pump/tank issue, there was a leak when filled over half way. Spent time taking it apart (more on that later) and found the grummet was leaking, replace it but the leak was still their. I checked the bottle without the pump and no leak, this was just before a road trip so put any further action on hold. Anyway tested it later and filled it to the top and it didn't leak anymore, so not bothered with fixing it until now.

So taking it out I jacked up the front right, took off the wheel to get the lining off. Also took out the fog light to reach some of the bolts, you'll need to check the service manual for a PDF of the bottle to get an idea where the bolts are.

One issue I had was I could not get the wire plug off which made things difficult. Now if I had a pic of just how the plug slides in to know which part need levering with something flat to get it off. I've even got a replacement plump months ago to finish the job, if it starts leaking again.

Anyway good luck with this and take some photos of the plug please :)
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

NinjaSlice
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby NinjaSlice » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:00 pm

I finally managed to make time to take a look at it last night. Removed the pump and gave it a couple of firm whacks, re-seated the connector a few times, but still no go. I checked the voltage on the connector - it was getting 12 V when the spray lever is pulled, so I think it is safe to say that the pump itself is cactus.

I think i found the right one to replace it at Supercheap, but they don't have it in store, so I had to order it for delivery; will take a few days to arrive.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/nic ... 84753.html

Lancer1993 wrote:If you need to replace it take loads of photos.

So taking it out I jacked up the front right, took off the wheel to get the lining off. Also took out the fog light to reach some of the bolts, you'll need to check the service manual for a PDF of the bottle to get an idea where the bolts are.
Anyway good luck with this and take some photos of the plug please :)

Luckily I won't have to go through as much trouble, as it was pretty easy to just remove the pump from behind the wheel arch lining.

Will definitely document the process with photos for each step, no problem!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:46 pm

Thanks

I found it a bit tight to get to the pump off the tank, but in the end had too as I could not unhook the power lead. Only removed the tank to check for leaks, and clean it. Much easier to do once off the car.

Might top up the tank right now an see if there is a puddle in the morning LOL
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Return to “Maintenance”