***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

3rd/Third Gear problem M/T

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tonee
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

3rd/Third Gear problem M/T

Postby tonee » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:32 am

SOLVED: Changed the gearbox oil and it's all fixed!

Hi All,

I just picked up an 09 Sportback M/T and I regularly have trouble getting into 3rd gear particularly when down shifting from 4th. At some occasions it would go into gear at the first attempt however most of the time I would have to try more than once after a wiggle or shift it back into 4th then 3rd again to work.

From reading on the net it seems to be a common issue however none of the threads I've read has a solution. I don't coast in Neutral or with the clutch (maybe the previous owner does?). All other gears click in fine.

It's currently at 102k which according to manual us due for a gearbox oil change, however I doubt an oil change would fix the issue or....would it?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Last edited by tonee on Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Re: 3rd/Third Gear problem M/T

Postby Viking » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:47 pm

Mine does the same thing, and pretty well has since I bought it. (It has ~210k km on the clock, and I bought it with ~166k on it.)

If it doesn't go in the first time, I either push harder, or leave it in neutral then let the clutch out and in again. Seems to work OK.

Although, thinking about it, it goes from 4th to 3rd without any hassles if I'm doing some serious engine braking and the engine speed is fairly high.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:51 pm

Try changing the gearbox oil as it may help

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Just read another post where someone had a similar issue and long story short Mitsubishi replace the GB under warranty because the sync in a couple of gears were shot.

My VRX now has just 133k on it and not had this issue. Only issue is when I screw up at low speeds and my brain and left foot aren't talking at I try changing from 1st to 2nd too quick and mesh the gears. But hey its a manual, if anyone is gonna stuff up its the muppet behind the wheel, not the computer in a CVT or SST :lol:
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:44 pm

As Troy said change the gearbox oil.It quite often sorts out any little problems.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

tonee
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby tonee » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:04 pm

Great feedback thanks guys, I'll change the oil and hopefully it solves the problem.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:15 am

Think mine was done at the last service, its under warranty and as stated I've had no issues changing gears beyond my own stupidity.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 am

lancerdarryl wrote:As Troy said change the gearbox oil.It quite often sorts out any little problems.

Can confirm, old Magna had plenty of trouble in the shift up from 2nd to 3rd, then started from 1st to 2nd. After a g/box oil change all sweet...

Almost 270K on the lancer and I'd say mine is also due for a change given it is starting to have similar issues to yours tonee.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:31 pm

As for changing the oil, I can offer some insight as I recently changed mine 3 times within a couple of months...

First, go get a 24mm ring spanner if you haven't got one. You won't get a 24mm socket and ratchet in between the gearbox and the subframe to undo the drain plug. Trust me.

Second, get one of the pump bottle things so you can pump the oil into the filler hole. Means you don't have to try to remove any stuff from the engine bay or do any trickery to get new oil back in.

Third, I would suggest you measure the oil you take out and put the same amount back in, don't just go by some number you find on the internet.

Finally, prepare for a ghastly smell, especially with those km's you guys are running. It was honestly one of the worst smelling fluids I've ever experienced, so definitely worth taking extra precautions to make sure you don't spill any, and dispose of it properly. It's a very harsh smell that gave me a headache pretty rapidly, which was very strange for me.

Anyway, good luck and hopefully it helps with your gear change issues (it helped with my second-to-first blocking issues)

tonee
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby tonee » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:11 am

Fantastic Skrallas!

It's actually getting worse since I posted this thread, will have to do it this weekend.

Thanks!

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:09 am

measuring what you take out is a good idea Skrallex, I use a length of 12 or16mm nylon tube or hose, and a cut open soft drink bottle to fill with, you can mouse the nylon tube wherever you need to. When you get close you just drip fill, and use your finger to feel the level inside the filler hole. Most manufacturers specify the bottom of the filler hole is the level to fill the gearbox to.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

tonee
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby tonee » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:57 pm

What grade/brand do you guys use? The Manual only says Mitsubishi MTF, I'm looking to get something from Supercheapauto or Repco.

Ta

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:33 pm

I went with either Castrol VMX-80 or 75, can't remember exactly. I imported some Redline stuff but it honestly performed pretty crap so I changed back to the castrol stuff.

Edit: Just make sure it's GL-4, as I believe GL-3 contains additives that can damage transmissions designed for GL-4 onward

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:24 pm

Valvoline duragear 75w/90 is fine.It works fine in most front wheel drive transmissions
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR

"Don't back off until you hit something"

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:46 am

I used PKGS7585 Peak Semi Synthetic Gear Oil 75W85 GL-4 in the Magna, it also suits the Lancers. You can pick it up from any Bursons store, they brand it as their oil.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

Return to “Maintenance”