***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Auto Tensioner Flange Recall

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: Auto Tensioner Flange Recall

Postby sarusa » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:10 am

If its prone to cracking but hasn't (YET) How can you be sure it isn't going to! Strange!!!!

PS Can this be classified a safety issue, car suddenly coming to a stop in heavy highway traffic :? ?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:04 pm

http://www.clubcj.net/workshop/SEARCH/2008/index_M1.htm

Hint, copy the address of any diagram and past into a new tab, change the end to PDF and you can zoom in for a closer look!
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

MadMax
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MadMax » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:20 pm

Thanks for the link.
I have that manual but it's missing a lot of the pictures.
It insists on using Internet Explorer. I will keep looking for a .pdf version. I have a .pdf manual for my 2016 Outlander, much easier to use.

Looks like the tensioner is easy to get to and remove. Remove front wheel, splash shields, crank tensioner, lock it off, remove belt, undo one or two bolts.
Going to look at it at some stage to see if any cracks are visible. If so, put it together and go to the dealer for a free, new tensioner.

benyamin
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby benyamin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:54 pm

MadMax wrote:Anyone got a link to the manual, or a picture of where the tensioner is, or more importantly, which part develops the fatal crack? At one of the bolt holes, I presume?
It could be that the flange shears off from the spring sub-assembly... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MadMax wrote:Going to look at it at some stage to see if any cracks are visible. If so, put it together and go to the dealer for a free, new tensioner.
I'm pretty sure they just check the part number (I presume it's stamped, embossed or labelled on the part somewhere) and replace it with a non-defective part (which has a different part number) where necessary. You may not be able to see signs of potential failure without x-ray equipment - or at all if the defect is internal to the auto tensioner's sub-assemblies.

It's also definitely worth noting that the inspection should be free of charge...
MY09 VRX one of these: (cj-sb-red)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:25 pm

In this case they check the part number and depending on that and a visual inspection they replace the part. You may need to wait before they can book you in so they have the parts on hand and you don't need to come in again.

And yes its FREE, will only cost you some time. Drop it off for the morning is usually all that is needed. Luckily I work not for from the dealer so dropped it in, and picked it up at lunch.

Falcoon
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Falcoon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 am

Folks, I took my VH Outlander in for the belt tensioner inspection this morning; prompted by recent belt slippage during engine start and on hard steering whilst parking. Not a moment too soon as shown by the attached photo. The tensioner was already severely cracked. My CJ Lancer will be booked in next.

I've also attached an image showing the new tensioner which has a stronger flange. Access is via right wheel removal and removal of the plastic wheel well splash guard.
Attachments
Belt Tensioner.JPG
Belt Tensioner.JPG (58.51 KiB) Viewed 9077 times
Failed belt tensioner.jpg
Failed belt tensioner.jpg (143.59 KiB) Viewed 9077 times

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:50 am

Just in time mate :shock:

looking at part number 1345A008 fitted to my CJ (which isn't on this current recall but could have been on a previous one) comes up with varying versions of both the good and the bad tensioners, many are still available on Ebay, and even the FEBEST Australia listed one seems to be from the bad bunch. What was the service interval on these parts? were they perhaps pushing them too far?
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:34 pm

They never said if mine was faulty, do they have to?

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:52 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:They never said if mine was faulty, do they have to?

Probably not, but if if was they'd most likely tell you and have replaced it. With most assembly lines you have multiple suppliers for the same parts to reduce downtime or shortages, but should one suppliers product let you down you either have a few or a lot of inspections to carry out to ensure not all of that particular part or batch were a failure.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Falcoon
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Falcoon » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:55 pm

They probably don't have to but a polite but firm "Could you please check with the mechanic to see what state mine was in etc" usually works. I initially got the story that no replacement was needed until I asked him to check, given I'd had some recent belt slip noise. He came back with "this is one of the first we've seen".
BTW, the car has 80k, with only the last 20k ours.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Like most visits to the dealer I just wanted my car and didn't really think of it at the time, I'm sure they can check their records if I really needed to know. Mine was one of the first they checked as we needed it done before our road trip, 10,000km so we worth getting checked before we left.

Return to “Maintenance”