***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Sunroof Recall

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

benyamin
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Sunroof Recall

Postby benyamin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:52 pm

So I've been a bit worried about cracking around my polyurethane seal on my sunroof and some warpage too. This is what bonds the glass to the metal assembly. Looking up spares I noticed that there was a new part listed (MW400247) to replace mine (5850A104), but it wasn't available whereas the old one was (at about $600). :?

I was about to bite the bullet - so to speak - when I noticed an AP article about a MMNA recall for about 56,641 odd vehicles with 100% affected rate...! Apparently a couple (i.e. two [2]) Japanese drivers lost their sunroofs whilst driving it would seem...! The aforementioned seal material was replaced by the manufacturer (Webasto Japan Co) in October 2009. All previous sunroofs will be affected. :shock:

So after attending a dealer today regarding a couple of outstanding recalls and making enquiries I was advised that my vehicle will be subject to the Australian recall and that it was definitely coming... :D

Here is the updated NHTSA Recall Report: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2018/RCLRPT-18V071-2644.PDF
Last edited by benyamin on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY09 VRX one of these: (cj-sb-red)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Re: CJ Sunroof Recall

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:28 pm

Thats both good and bad, good you sound out before you paid for the repair but bad its been a known issue for so long.

Still wish my VRX had a sunroof some days.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:47 am

My VIN was listed in the recall list also, but thanks to some little so and so's mine was replaced at my expense late last year, so I don't see me getting a recall letter for that one.

Here are the spreadsheets for one of the three current recalls, i think the last recall only affected ASX and Outlander, I'll throw the other one up in the tensioner thread.

Sunroof VIN list
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

benyamin
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby benyamin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:27 pm

Quismiff wrote:My VIN was listed in the recall list also, but thanks to some little so and so's mine was replaced at my expense late last year, so I don't see me getting a recall letter for that one.
Oh that sucks..! If it came from old stock on the old part number, you might get a newie yet...

Check the Mitsubishi link - the data's been updated...

benyamin
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Re: Sunroof Recall

Postby benyamin » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:30 pm

Mitsubishi must have also updated their back end in the last couple of days. Searching with my VIN via their tool reveals:

Recall ID: ADV015 - Advance Notice Campaign 010147 : Sunroof Replacement - [Waiting On Parts Availability]

The sunroof glass outer frame adhesive may become weak due to inappropriate resin material. As a result the sunroof glass may detach from the outer frame when driving. If the sunroof detaches from the frame while the vehicle is in use it may pose an accident or injury risk to the vehicle occupants and other road users.

Recall ID: ADV012 - Advance Notice Campaign 010144 : Engine Accessory Belt Tensioner Inspection - [Waiting On Parts Availability]

The engine auto tensioner flange may crack under high load driving conditions, and this may cause the drive-belt to fall off. If the drive belt falls off, the engine warning light will illuminate, a loss of power steering assistance will occur, the battery will discharge and the engine may overheat and stall. This may pose an accident risk to the driver and other road users.

Will cross post in the Auto Tensioner Flange Recall Thread too...

benyamin
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby benyamin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:35 pm

Got a new sunroof today...! :D

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:43 pm

I got my letter in the mail, rung Dandenong Mitsubishi, and mine is booked in for replacement on the 19th, apparently the batch right up to the recall were also deemed faulty so have had to manufacture new ones. Is yours a Mitsi genuine piece of glass Ben?
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

benyamin
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby benyamin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Yeah, pretty sure it had the triple diamond. Will let you know if not.

Interesting that you heard they needed to manufacture new ones. I wonder if other MY's will get added to the recall...

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Damn I’m growing envy for the two of you and yours sunroofs :x
We are all in it for the fun!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:13 pm

I thought they were just replacing the rubbers or seals, not the whole thing... damn wish the original owner on my VRX had sprung for the sunroof... and chose white instead of black LOL
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:25 pm

Hey the black and yellow looks great together!
We are all in it for the fun!

Return to “Maintenance”