***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Potentially damaged wheelbearing?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Potentially damaged wheelbearing?

Postby Skrallex » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 am

Hey all,

So I've started having this strange issue with my Vrx. Occasionally, when I get the car onto the highway and can do 100+ km/h for a sustained period of time (probably a good 10 or 15 minutes) I start hearing a circular, rhythmic whistling sound that appears to come from I think the front right wheel. This goes away when I drop speed.

The other odd thing about it is that it's only there when the car is driving straight. If I turn the wheels at all, even only a few degrees, it stops, and returns once it settles straight again. It's very frustrating.

Also, my wheel alignment is out because I have replaced so many suspension components and haven't had the time to go get an alignment. The car does actually drive pretty straight if you let go of the wheel so I don't think the alignment is completely terrible, but it certainly still needs one.

Anybody got any idea what this could be? My thoughts are potentially the wheel bearing. How easy is it to do this myself? Is it critical that it gets done ASAP if this is the case (have heard horror stories about bearing failing)? And finally, if it's a wheel bearing, how could I confirm that it is and which wheel it is?

Thanks everyone :)

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Potentially damaged wheelbearing?

Postby lancerdarryl » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:12 pm

You will need to put the car on a hoist so you can spin each wheel and have a listen.You made need to even run the car in gear and drive the front wheels and listen.As for changing yourself you will need a 10 tonne press to get the bearing out. A repair shop could do the job in an hour.Also check the nut on the end of the driveshaft is tightened up to spec ( can't remember what it is sorry) they sometime come loose ever so slightly and the end of the driveshaft moves in and out.
PS Don't leave it too long if it is a bearing and it fails it does get very expensive when you have to replace hubs,flanges,brake rotors and driveshafts.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Thanks for the insight, will take it to a shop soon then. Will double check the driveshaft nut also :)

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:27 pm

So I pulled my wheels off and I guess my alignment is a lot worse than I thought. Lots of uneven wear on the front tyres. Would this cause the noises? Or has the bad alignment damaged my wheel bearing?

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:27 pm

So I also thought I would be smart and see if I could hear any noise even at low speeds, to try to work out which wheel it was. I put the car on jack stands and put it in first gear so the wheels could spin. After about 5 seconds the ASC/ABS lights come on, which I figured, okay, that's to be expected since the wheels are just free spinning. I stopped, and unplugged the battery for an hour or so. Just connected the battery again and started the car and I still have the ABS/ASC warnings.... Surely I can't have actually damaged them, they have just stored the fault code somewhere that even the battery won't reset?

Does this mean I have to go into Mitsu? God sometimes I hate all the electronic stuff they put in cars now... :(

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:08 pm

Will need a scan tool to reset those fault codes.Your tyres may be the source of the noise.If they need to be replaced probably do that and a 4 wheel alignment first then see how you go.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR

"Don't back off until you hit something"

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:22 pm

A scan tool such as an OBD2 tool? I have an OBD2 adapter and torque pro but it said there were no fault codes :(

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:08 pm

So I guess a panicked prematurely. Error codes went away as soon as I drove 50m down the road :)

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:59 am

ABS warning will come on as the rear wheels aren't moving so car thinks fronts are slipping. Only way to do that kind of test would be on a 4 wheel dyno.

Return to “Maintenance”