***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

What engine oil do YOU use?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

aussie027
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Re: What engine oil do YOU use?

Postby aussie027 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:04 am

I have written a few responses to several Q re oil in other threads over the years.

I will agree with what many have said above, regular changes every 6 to 12 mo and 5-7500km are more important than the brand or grade.
For a turbo I would do a max 5000km/6 mo between changes!!

A semi synthetic is perfectly good to use with regular changes as described above.
I have used that in 2 Mitsu turbo cars I owned for 10 and 13 yrs without a problem. Ever.

Fully synthetic would be better for a longer change interval than those above if your circumstances warrant.
Not sure why anyone would need to exceed the above guide figures by a large margin.

For racing type engines and driving under constant high power/stress, sure fully synthetic may be more beneficial.

Lots of oil marketing hype out there to sucker you in and separate you from your money for minimal or no real benefit!!
IMO Higher price for full synthetic that gets changed every 5-7500km in normal everyday driving is just a waste going down the drain.
Literally!!

For Aust climate temp ranges a 10W-40 is most appropriate.

At the upper end a 40W covers our hotter 35-40C plus temp ranges better than a 30W.
At lower end a 10 is more than good cover for the coldest min temps found anywhere in Aust. at anytime of the year!!
For a high mileage engine a 15W-40 probably best.

The 0W and 5W oils are for very low temp extremes found in North America, Europe and Russia/China and mountain climates.!! Seriously.
Even in modern engines with tight tolerances IMO that grade is too low, in our climate min temp ranges.

To each is own. Everyone's opinion and experience is different. Cheers.
I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING......

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:15 am

Also don't forget that the oil is meant to be selected on ambient temperature range the car is subject to, as all oils discussed in this thread are multi grade oils, and hence the lower number is the minimum WINTER viscosity, hence the W, it does not stand for weight, the higher number is the oils viscosity/behaviour at 100*C so a 5W-40 will go from -30*C to above 50*C ambient temperature.

As mentioned above the 10W-30/40 (ambient temp range -20*C to 40*C/50*C+) will suit the Australian climate just fine, in reality you can run any oil in the car in Australia, it comes down to preference, and kilometres travelled. Oil companies don't mind what you buy, as long as you're giving them your money 8)
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:56 am

Penrite HPR 5 5W-40 fully synthetic. That's what the garage uses, which is good as it would be what I'd use anyway. The oil recommendation selector for most oils say 0W, but I think that's too thin.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:40 am

Quismiff wrote:Also don't forget that the oil is meant to be selected on ambient temperature range the car is subject to, as all oils discussed in this thread are multi grade oils, and hence the lower number is the minimum WINTER viscosity, hence the W, it does not stand for weight, the higher number is the oils viscosity/behaviour at 100*C so a 5W-40 will go from -30*C to above 50*C ambient temperature.

As mentioned above the 10W-30/40 (ambient temp range -20*C to 40*C/50*C+) will suit the Australian climate just fine, in reality you can run any oil in the car in Australia, it comes down to preference, and kilometres travelled. Oil companies don't mind what you buy, as long as you're giving them your money 8)

lol I believe the w stands for warm ie: viscosity equal to 5 when cold and 40 warm when warm. Either way what the hell!!??

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 am

I know that Nulon and some other oil companies, may be all? recommend 5w30 oil for my my15 lancer ES 4B11 engine and realise that thinner oil gives you better economy. I prefer to run with Nulon 1o-40 full synthetic and have used it since it became available and have used it ever since. When your on a good thing stick to it. I prefer the extra cushioning of the marginally thicker oil especially on start up.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:28 am

The W number is measured differently from the second number in the grade. Have a skim through this site for a bit of an explanation :mrgreen:
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:08 am

I ended up using same stock oil this service due to lack of funds, I wanted to use Penrite 5w-40 :(
We are all in it for the fun!

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:28 pm

sarusa wrote:I know that Nulon and some other oil companies, may be all? recommend 5w30 oil for my my15 lancer ES 4B11 engine and realise that thinner oil gives you better economy. I prefer to run with Nulon 1o-40 full synthetic and have used it since it became available and have used it ever since. When your on a good thing stick to it. I prefer the extra cushioning of the marginally thicker oil especially on start up.

They use to, changed to 0W.
http://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenriteAus/#page5
As an option at least. I would only go 5W-40.
https://www.nulon.com.au/lube-guide/MIT ... TROL&CVT=1

Once the engine is worn then 10W-50.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:04 am

Ill stick to the 10-40. More in keeping with what Mitsu: service dep: use and closer match to owners manual. plus only marginal benefit of going down to 5-40 is economy? Over the warm up period of the oil!

Difference in flow rate at start up and when cold between the two as I see it is not a problem in Melbourne and 10-40 offers better cold cushioning!

Return to “Maintenance”