***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

What engine oil do YOU use?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

What engine oil do YOU use?

Postby ReeceCozaa » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:36 pm

So I've been scrolling through the forums seeing everyone's opinions on the best grade oil to use for our CJ lancers and it seems 5w-30/5w-40 seem to be a frequently said choice, I'm thinking of changing up the oil to a higher grade if possible it's a 2016 cvt 2.4, the cars at 22'000km and has only had OEM Mitsubishi engine oil in it, I do plenty full of STOP and start driving throughout the week reaching around 500km+ a week. I'm not fussing about price but I'd like to have my car using the most efficient grade oil for engine preservation and performance (joy rides :P).

I wanna see what everyone puts in their lancers and why.
We are all in it for the fun!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Re: What engine oil do YOU use?

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:15 pm

I used to use Shell Oils in my last car, but now with the CJ its what ever the dealer uses. As long as its the right grade and service is done on time it really doesn't make much difference unless you're going to do some serious engine mods.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Just use a good quality 5W30 or 5W40 and you will be sweet.10,000k change intervals with a new oil filter each oil change.I service 30 odd cars a week and the regularly serviced cars with good oil in them have less problems than the cars we only see once a year.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:27 pm

lancerdarryl wrote:Just use a good quality 5W30 or 5W40 and you will be sweet.10,000k change intervals with a new oil filter each oil change.I service 30 odd cars a week and the regularly serviced cars with good oil in them have less problems than the cars we only see once a year.

Yeah I was thinking 5w-40 honestly, will a high grade oil filter make any difference to filtration/performance? Also what are some reputable brands for 5w-40 some I've heard are Mobil 1 and penirite apparently

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Mobil 1 for the win :-)

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:24 am

My Mitsu: dealer uses Castrol magnatec 15 40. I will be changing to full synthetic next service, an expensive move as my services are all
free and if you change oil, to other then what they use there is no refund on the oil you don't use.

Will be changing to Nulon fully synthetic 10 40 have used it for over 27 years with 10 out of 10 results.When your on a good thing stick to it.
Rang Nulon and they suggested 5 30 or 5 20. Too thin for me only possible advantage, improved economy. Which is of no interest to me.
and could be a warranty issue.

I prefer the better cushioning of the slightly heavier oil and difference in flow rate at start up from cold with Melbourne weather will not be a problem.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:51 am

fearfulmaster1 wrote:If you do a lot of stop start, then look in the handbook and pick a viscosity that is suitable for the higher ambient temperature range. Buy synthetic oil and ryco syntec filter.

My car don't get stressed much so I just wait for repco combo deal. Last 2 changes were castrol magnetec 10w30 and penrite everyday 10w40. Both were around $27 for oil and filter.

Hmmm, yeah like DURING the week it's mainly Stop and start with slow traffic conditions but other then that I wouldn't mind the benefit from higher grade oil for track/prolonging components
sarusa wrote:My Mitsu: dealer uses Castrol magnatec 15 40. I will be changing to full synthetic next service, an expensive move as my services are all
free and if you change oil, to other then what they use there is no refund on the oil you don't use.

Will be changing to Nulon fully synthetic 10 40 have used it for over 27 years with 10 out of 10 results.When your on a good thing stick to it.
Rang Nulon and they suggested 5 30 or 5 20. Too thin for me only possible advantage, improved economy. Which is of no interest to me.
and could be a warranty issue.

I prefer the better cushioning of the slightly heavier oil and difference in flow rate at start up from cold with Melbourne weather will not be a problem.

I've seen a lot of 5w40 which would seem to be thicker right? On super cheap auto guidelines they recommend a lot of 5w-40 but also few 10w40. As long as the engine is provided by the protection and even if SO performance benefit I'd be happy, economy would be a nice positive too

CoreyB
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby CoreyB » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:00 pm

I use Penrite full synthetic 10W40, changed every 3k - 5k kms

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:46 am

CoreyB wrote:I use Penrite full synthetic 10W40, changed every 3k - 5k kms

lol That,s just a trip to the shops and back is it? Hahahaha

CoreyB
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby CoreyB » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:34 pm

sarusa wrote:

lol That,s just a trip to the shops and back is it? Hahahaha

Hahah yeh kinda is, but it works out to be 3 or 4 track days worth with some daily driving inbetween, so would rather keep it fresh then be sorry :D

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:10 pm

I would have had to change mine twice last year when I went interstate for a few weeks!
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

CoreyB
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby CoreyB » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:18 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:

I would have had to change mine twice last year when I went interstate for a few weeks!

haha, mines already been changed twice this year, doing third after this weekend :D

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:17 am

Suggest full synthetic. 10-40 will keep warranty happy. Change every 10000ks should be OK. Check the oil and depending on how much of your driving is stop start maybe every 5000ks. With the ks you cover this will keep your changes to less then 6 months apart.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:39 am

sarusa wrote:Suggest full synthetic. 10-40 will keep warranty happy. Change every 10000ks should be OK. Check the oil and depending on how much of your driving is stop start maybe every 5000ks. With the ks you cover this will keep your changes to less then 6 months apart.

Thanks fam! Yeah I was thinking about changing it soon, it's already getting decently brown. I totally forgot different oil would void warranty, they don't supply another choice don't they?

Return to “Maintenance”