***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

What engine oil do YOU use?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: What engine oil do YOU use?

Postby sarusa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:26 pm

Owners hand book gives you a wide range of possibles, I also checked with Nulon, my choice of oil and they claimed 5-30 and 5-20 was their preference for our car. Check with your dealer and see what they accept as being OK..

Mitsubishi Australia refered me back to the dealer when I attempted to get an answer from them. They appear to me, unwilling to accept any responsibility for information re their product, just refer you back to the dealer. :?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:33 pm

CoreyB wrote:
Lancer1993 wrote:
CoreyB wrote:I use Penrite full synthetic 10W40, changed every 3k - 5k kms

I would have had to change mine twice last year when I went interstate for a few weeks!

haha, mines already been changed twice this year, doing third after this weekend :D

I do my oil religiously, once a year around Christmas! :lol:
But mine is a non turbo with less than 15k a year usually.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:20 pm

Should be done atl east every 10,000ks according to owners manual.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:22 pm

sarusa wrote:Owners hand book gives you a wide range of possibles, I also checked with Nulon, my choice of oil and they claimed 5-30 and 5-20 was their preference for our car. Check with your dealer and see what they accept as being OK..

Mitsubishi Australia refered me back to the dealer when I attempted to get an answer from them. They appear to me, unwilling to accept any responsibility for information re their product, just refer you back to the dealer. :?

Yeah lmao I asked Mitsubishi Australia on Facebook to what oil should be on our cars and they just sent me a photo of the lancer manual engine oil range, I've seen it before but I mean I'd rather see who in Aussie climates uses what for the best of everything hahaha
We are all in it for the fun!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:11 pm

sarusa wrote:Should be done atl east every 10,000ks according to owners manual.

Its probably closer to 10k but last year was higher with a 6000km trip south.

Right now after 6 months its around 5k so far so on target again!

Most engine oils will do more kays than the dealer will tell you and within reason its more an issue of time not distance than is the real killer.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:
sarusa wrote:Should be done atl east every 10,000ks according to owners manual.

Its probably closer to 10k but last year was higher with a 6000km trip south.

Right now after 6 months its around 5k so far so on target again!

Most engine oils will do more kays than the dealer will tell you and within reason its more an issue of time not distance than is the real killer.

I agree, when I first got my car I thought every 15000kms would be more then enough but with the way I'm going I'm just gonna have to change the lil myself if needs be!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:12 pm

Their is something about doing your own oil change, I know a lot of things on the service list of a modern car can't be done without the right training and electronic tools but as for now the oil and filter change is one thing most can still do without much extra training. That said mine CJ might be used but to keep the extended used car warranty it needs to be serviced at a nominated dealer so for at least the next few years I can't do it. I can still check the levels and top up the washer but that's about it.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:32 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Their is something about doing your own oil change, I know a lot of things on the service list of a modern car can't be done without the right training and electronic tools but as for now the oil and filter change is one thing most can still do without much extra training. That said mine CJ might be used but to keep the extended used car warranty it needs to be serviced at a nominated dealer so for at least the next few years I can't do it. I can still check the levels and top up the washer but that's about it.
geesus.. you can't even change your own oil or else it'l void? I've still got full Mitsubishi warranty but I ain't gotta let the car get dirty inside just for that

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:42 pm

Not saying I can't do an oil change but with just 10k per year normally it's pointless when I have to pay for the service anyway at the end of the year. The bulk of the extended warranty covers the engine and GB, stuff the warranty conditions and I've wasted the extra cost of the extended warranty.

Not getting into a debate here over paying for extended warranties on used cars, it looked good at the dealer when buying the car.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:12 am

Lancer1993 wrote:Not saying I can't do an oil change but with just 10k per year normally it's pointless when I have to pay for the service anyway at the end of the year. The bulk of the extended warranty covers the engine and GB, stuff the warranty conditions and I've wasted the extra cost of the extended warranty.

Not getting into a debate here over paying for extended warranties on used cars, it looked good at the dealer when buying the car.

Hahaha no doubt, don't worry I'm not agaisnt it! I'll have to do mine every half year or so at 15000 intervals for my Mitsubishi service, I'm contemplating doing it my self in between the 15000

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:46 am

Mitsubishi Australia refered me back to the dealer when I attempted to get an answer from them. They appear to me, unwilling to accept any responsibility for information re their product, just refer you back to the dealer. :?[/quote]

Yeah lmao I asked Mitsubishi Australia on Facebook to what oil should be on our cars and they just sent me a photo of the lancer manual engine oil range, I've seen it before but I mean I'd rather see who in Aussie climates uses what for the best of everything hahaha[/quote]

Consider yourself lucky to get even that response!!!??? :)

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:40 am

sarusa wrote:Mitsubishi Australia refered me back to the dealer when I attempted to get an answer from them. They appear to me, unwilling to accept any responsibility for information re their product, just refer you back to the dealer. :?

Yeah lmao I asked Mitsubishi Australia on Facebook to what oil should be on our cars and they just sent me a photo of the lancer manual engine oil range, I've seen it before but I mean I'd rather see who in Aussie climates uses what for the best of everything hahaha[/quote]

Consider yourself lucky to get even that response!!!??? :)[/quote]

HAHAHAH YEP! I think I'm gonna go with 5w40/5w30 eithervone depending on what info i see later on

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:42 pm

Strange but true! Castrol Magnetec oil commercial, as used by dealer is 15-40 and for private use as sold by for instance by Autobahn is 10-40

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:29 pm

sarusa wrote:Strange but true! Castrol Magnetec oil commercial, as used by dealer is 15-40 and for private use as sold by for instance by Autobahn is 10-40

Yeah I've seen 10w40 advertised too for our lancers, supercheap seems to really push up a few 5w30-40s, nulon roughly the same just like penirite mostly 5w20-40

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:33 am

Penrite recommends HPR 0 0w-30 for the post 2013 2.0 L Lancers'. Anyone using it? I know Penrite is great oil but 0w is fairly light.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

Return to “Maintenance”