***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

CVT whine

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

rs237
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Re: CVT whine

Postby rs237 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:16 am

I would assume all lancer's are fitted with a transmission cooler from Mitsubishi?
So it depends, in case you bought a used lancer like in my case, i would not know how the previous owner would have driven and what would have been the driving style and conditions. In that case it is a safe option to go ahead and change the oil before the stipulated 90K mark. You will notice the difference straight away and longevity of the cvt is maintained.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:46 pm

Generally it's dependent on kilometres and driving

style. IMHO it doesn't need replacing because of the age

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Time is always a consideration with fluids. That's why the engine oil needs to be changed at x amount of km or 12 months. If the oil doesn't need replacing from use it will eventually need to be replaced due to contamination.

Engine oil in cars that don't see lots of kms run the risk of water contamination in the oil causing rust and sludge. I'd say transmission oil would suffer the same contamination issues as engine oil but not as fast
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

darkage
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby darkage » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:39 am

should load up http://cvtz50.info/en/ and check fluid deterioration counter. if its more of an issue after a long drive I suspect the fluid has lost some of its cooling abilities. I would expect a high fluid deterioration value.

whinge is probably from the bearings in the CVT unit. fluid change should make it quiet unless the bearings are already pitted enough to be an issue.

20L of CVT Fluid from dealership is $338 ex-gst.

dealerships that Ive called just do standard drop and refill, and try to charge almost the same amount for a 20L drum even though they are just using 7.5L. Im going all the way out, and placing filter & cleaning oil pan :)

Return to “Maintenance”