***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

C2116 - ABS Pump Motor Supply Low Voltage

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

C2116 - ABS Pump Motor Supply Low Voltage

Postby Bandit » Tue May 10, 2016 11:39 am

Comrades - I dig the new look!!

I am writing to see if any one else has suffered the same fault in my subject title - which from research appears to be a reasonably common problem in '07 to '13 CJs :shock: :evil:

It apparently means that the ABS pump module has failed and will need to be replaced. Cost estimates are $2,000 plus labour for a new unit or around $750-ish for a refurbished unit, which has been modified to remove the known issue.

If you have had the problem and are in Sydney and have a recommendation about where to go for getting it fixed, please let me know.

This has been the first problem in my car - which is nearly 7 years old. Not a bad run, unfortunate that it's a known failure though - apparently some Jeep models also have the same module used and it fails in them as well. I am not sure if I should be bothered to try my luck with Mitsubishi to see if they will come to the party and replace it....

Thanks in advance.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

JustinR
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C2116 - ABS Pump Motor Supply Low Voltage

Postby JustinR » Tue May 10, 2016 2:07 pm

Hi Mate,

Is the car still under warranty?

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Tue May 10, 2016 3:33 pm

G'day JustinR - nah chief warranty gone, 2008 MY09 - I doubt this could be included in the '10yr powertrain warranty' either.... She was Club CJ's first Sportback! Check out my joined date :D

I have since found another thread about it the issue - seems a lot of other people here have had the same problem - which makes me feel a little bit better but a bit more cranky at the same time if that makes any sense!

If you want to delete this thread, no dramas - I have put a post in the dedicated thread as well. My search skillz must have been lacking earlier today.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:28 pm

I was watching wheeler dealer on Foxtel last week and there was a place in England that reconditioned abs units for only 1/10 of the price of a new one. Maybe you can find a company in Australia that will do it. Best of luck and let us know how you go.

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Tue May 10, 2016 9:58 pm

Just check the wreckers for a my13 lancer and get the pump for 300

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:14 pm

got a pump as well trow me an offer, need it gone from my garage

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Tue May 10, 2016 10:32 pm

Thanks guys - there is a place in Sydney that will take mine out and replace with one that they have refurbished and they say they know how to fix the part that fails in it - they then service mine and sell it to the next poor soul with the same problem that comes along.... Reports I have read say these guys know what they're doing, including some ClubCJ members that have had theirs repaired there and the problem has resolved.

The dash warning lights have disappeared on my car for the time being so I will just wait and see what happens for now. Who knows the next time the fault might occur - could be tomorrow, or next week, month or year..... who knows.

This is the place I'll probably end up at when it fails again - highly recommended apparently if you're in Sydney - http://www.absrepair.com.au/ they can remove/replace on site incl brake fluid bleed and restock. If you're not around Sydney, they can post a refurbished one to you and you send them yours to get fixed for the next guy that needs a new one.....

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seven-hi ... 1107181353 - their ad on gumtree
ClubCJ's first Sportback

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:57 pm

Any idea of the costs of parts and labour

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Thu May 12, 2016 8:53 am

Yeah mate in the ad it says $495 for the part and then $250 for labour to remove existing and reinstall the refurbished one (incl. brake bleed).

If you want to send your pump over and have a refurbished one sent back and remove/replace yourself, it provides some details about that in their Gumtree ad as well. $495 + postage.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu May 12, 2016 8:55 am

That is reasonable price. Do they come with a warranty?

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby toc » Thu May 12, 2016 11:57 am

The power supply for the ABS pump is in the ABS ECU.
For that measurement to take place, perhaps inside the ECU they are reading the voltage from that supply, and if it's below X for X seconds / minutes, then the code is triggered.

If we think about a typical voltage regulator circuit, that could be a capacitor or a voltage regulator inside that ECU, or a PCB issue.
If we had a failed one to dissect I'm sure I could draw some conclusions as to the failure and even get to suggesting a fix (for those good with soldering iron).
It really will be a matter of simply having a failed one and finding the fault and likely cause..

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Mon May 16, 2016 8:45 am

fearfulmaster1 wrote:Your report is the first report of intermittent failure I have come across on the forums.

You're not wrong - I haven't seen anyone else with the message go off as well - I was about 800metres from the mechanic I was taking it to so that the code could be read when the lights all went off. Pulled over, turned the car off. Left it for a minute or so, turned it back on and the lights didn't come back on either. Code was in the car's history, it wasn't showing as a current code when we plugged the reader in.... I haven't had a need to start it since Thursday, so it might come back on then, who knows :P
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Mon May 16, 2016 6:24 pm

I had it in my 08 RA

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

Mandell Brott
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Mandell Brott » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:03 pm

hello i have this problem with my 09 VR,the wheel sensors have all been cleaned, brake fluid changed,new battery,fuses check ok & diagnostic brings up the error code for low pump motor voltage,so i am sending it to the guys suggested above.

Return to “Maintenance”