***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

RA Check engine light

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

mandyo17
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

RA Check engine light

Postby mandyo17 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:30 pm

hey guys i've just purchased a ralliart lancer 2012 model from a mazda dealership (lady traded it for a cx5) just 3 days ago and today i was driving and the check engine light came on and the mods the previous owner has done to the car are the following

She's got a full exhaust done
http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product/e ... index.html

and also a cold air intake with a hks "super hybrid filter"

And i am from sydney to those of you from sydney you know the torrential rain the past 3 days i've read abit into it and some people think the light is on cause the filter has soaked up the water

Anyways would really value you guys opinion on this

vermilioN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby vermilioN » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:56 pm

Not sure how the filter would get wet if its just a drop in filter and that would have to be some serious rain I just cant imagine that would be possible.. Can you check that its wet? Could be lots of things.. sometimes my car would throw a cel when i was lowered and pulled out of a drive way and tripoded. I wouldnt freak out about it but If you take off one of your battery terminals for a bit then hook it back up the light should go away and if it comes back I would get it checked out.

Australia's sexiest blacked out ralliart ;)

evo x turbo, ets intercooler, turbosmart wga, aem intake, ur intercooler piping, ur turbo back exhaust, 3port

mandyo17
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby mandyo17 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:32 am

vermilioN wrote:Not sure how the filter would get wet if its just a drop in filter and that would have to be some serious rain I just cant imagine that would be possible.. Can you check that its wet? Could be lots of things.. sometimes my car would throw a cel when i was lowered and pulled out of a drive way and tripoded. I wouldnt freak out about it but If you take off one of your battery terminals for a bit then hook it back up the light should go away and if it comes back I would get it checked out.

well the rain was alot over the last 4 days especially cause it's parked outside
Yeh i've checked the filter some of my mates think it's probably just my oxygen sensors

I'll give it a more thorough check tomorrow

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:45 am

Does the exhaust have an O2 sensor illuminator fitted to it?

That would be my guess.

The other option is the MAF sensor is damn. Remove it and clean it with MAF cleaner

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:40 am

could also just be water in a wheel sensor, cycle the ignition a few times and see if it disappears
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:52 pm

fearfulmaster1 wrote:If it is within statutory warranty, get the mazda dealer to look at it. Or buy an odb reader from ebay. Get bluetooth version for android or wifi version for iphone. Use torque lite for android or whatever they have for IOS. Once you get the code, lookup the factory manual to see whether it is mod related. If not claim Mitsubishi warranty.

Why Mazda or is that auto spell?

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:55 pm

aspir3 wrote:[quote:fd21d03bb8=fearfulmaster1]If it is within statutory warranty, get the mazda dealer to look at it. Or buy an odb reader from ebay. Get bluetooth version for android or wifi version for iphone. Use torque lite for android or whatever they have for IOS. Once you get the code, lookup the factory manual to see whether it is mod related. If not claim Mitsubishi warranty.[/quote:fd21d03bb8] Why Mazda or is that auto spell?

The OP bought it from a Mazda dealership secondhand. Since it is still under new car warranty, assuming it was serviced correctly, Mitsubishi would make more sense.

That said, since it was just purchased I would go through the Mazda dealership since they should hopefully be able to read the codes. It shouldn't cost you either, the only reason why you wouldn't go to Mitsubishi is if the code is caused by an aftermarket part, then it will cost you.

If it is something that can be fixed under warranty you can then take it to the Mitsubishi dealership. Either way, hopefully it is something simple and not difficult to find.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

Return to “Maintenance”