***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

CVT Fluid change - Deterioration level ECU update

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

darkage
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

CVT Fluid change - Deterioration level ECU update

Postby darkage » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:31 pm

I've read a number of posts of ppl DIY CVT fluid changes, but I assume no one updates the deterioration level on the ECU.. but then again you need the official M.U.T III diag tool..

Does anyone bother updating this ?

Do the chinese clones of M.U.T III properly update deterioration level parameter ? or is there some risk of screwing up ECU with cloned datascanning tool ?

Is there a Vic forum member that has a M.U.T III to update deterioration level ?

My car is just out of warranty so in DIY land now :)

Tossing up between Penrite CVTF and the old 20L drum of Diaqueen J1.

(Makes it a harder choice when Mitsu has part ownership of Jatco Transmission Company)

A little uncomfortable with Penrite at the moment, I guess its something you build up confidence with via personal experience over the km's distance travelled.

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:17 pm

You should update the deterioration levels on the ECU but its NOT mandatory. So its better to do it but you don't have to.

If you can find the ENEOS brand from Japan, that one is a purely synthetic formula which would last longer in theory vs. the USA/Australian formula which is a synthetic blend. Both the synthetic and blend fluids from ENEOS are better than the OE formula. If the dealership chucks a fuss inform yhem that ENEOS is owned by the Mitsubishi Chemical Company same as they produce Diaqueen gear

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:12 pm

What exactly are to referring to when you talk about the Deterioration Levels of the CVT Oil.

1) Is it just a reading that appears on the MUT3 tool, gauging the BURNT level of the oil ?
2) How do you update the Deterioration Levels ..... I figure a MUT3 Tool is necessary ?
3) You refer to ECU .... Don't you mean the TCU (Transmission Control Unit) ?
4) Where can you find the Pure Synthetic ENEOS Fluid in Australia ?
5) I thought the PENRITE CVT oil was Pure Synthetic, & therefore quite Suitable as mentioned on the Product Label ?

Please excuse the multiple questions I've asked for you to answer, but your statements & options call for some further explanation that will definitely assist many (including myself) wishing to perform a CVT Fluid change in the future.
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:32 pm

subscribing to thread.
K+N drop in
RA intake
SS 4-2-1 Headers
Whiteline Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
SuperPro Polyurethane Bushings
Paddle Shifters

Merlinised

Swerve
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Swerve » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:51 am

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby toc » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:32 am

Swerve wrote:Plus as mentioned its owned by a Mitsubishi company so will be covered under warranty.

Careful with that - a fluid that just happens to be made by a Mitsubishi child company may not be covered under warranty if a condition of warranty were to be 'use specified fluid' and specified fluid was a specific fluid (I doubt it says use fluids from a Mitsubishi company)

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:40 am

Just a side note if you end up using penrite. CVTF will kill your transmission. Need penrite CVTV fluid. There are two types of cvt transmissions one with a rubber belt and one with a metal belt. The fluid between them is different and the correct one is critical as they rely on a correct level of friction and slippage to operate.
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:02 am

This one:

WebSite Link: PENRITE CVT FLUID "V" (Full Syn)
Note the "V" designation.

Sam ..... *thumb*

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:35 am

SAM-24A wrote:This one: WebSite Link: [b:23fcd853c5]PENRITE CVT FLUID V (Full Syn)[/b:23fcd853c5] Note the [b:23fcd853c5][color=red:23fcd853c5]V[/color:23fcd853c5][/b:23fcd853c5] designation. [img:23fcd853c5]http://www.clubcj.net/cached_images/1450479739_78_PB_498_0.png[/img:23fcd853c5]

Keep in mind that it currently only meets the Mitsubishi CVTF-J1 spec. At some point there must have been a change in the transmission, because more recent Lancers (I believe 2012 MY13 and onwards) now require Mitsubishi CVTF-J4 spec fluid. That is the Mitsubishi spec designation, SAM is right that you have to get the right CVT variation fluid!

I have no idea what changed in the more recent transmissions, but it is something to keep in mind if you want to do an interval service yourself. There are actually very few third party fluids that meet the Mitsubishi CVTF-J4 spec.

This is the only one I have found:
http://www.westernoil.com.au/upload/fil ... 202015.pdf

Going by the date in the link it is only very recent. I'm sure at some stage Penrite will update the CVT Fluid V, personally I favour Penrite myself but it also has to be appropriate (and that means meeting the CVTV-J4 spec for the 2012 MY13 onwards CVT vehicles).
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

Seffy
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Seffy » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:38 pm

So considering mine's an MY08 I have to use the CVT-V that Sam has posted yeah? Also what are the part numbers that I'll need for the filters or whatever else I'll need to change when doing the service?

Glad to hear this right now.

I've requested a transmission service tomorrow so this is really good knowledge to know.
Crayon Pop "straight-five engine" dance ftw.

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:16 am

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=13416&highlight=

I wrote the cvt service guide self. All parts and part numbers needed are in there.

Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:06 am

@ Kalum

Appreciate your "How To" Very Much & Helpful.

The Part Numbers that appear on the those in your pics are not Genuine OEM Mitsu Parts.
That's OK since Mitsu often source 3rd Party suppliers to stick their Logo & Part No ... lol

What Brand and/or Where did you purchase the Parts ??

I goggled those part numbers .... but no results .... are they Repco, Bursons, SupaCheap, AutoBarn ..... *noidea*
Sam ..... *thumb*

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:26 am

They are motorspec parts. They are available through Repco. Repco also now have a kit with all those parts in it as of recently. Part number for the full kit is GFS1100.

Since I wrote that I have done another change with the same parts. Had 70,000k trouble free running on the penrite CVTV. Also I can confirm that the small cartridge filter does go in the cooling jacket. The way to gain access to it is to take the battery out and remove the battery tray.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:38 am

Thanks Kalum

MOTORSPEC from Repco .... Kit No: GFS1100

The small cylindrical paper element filter (NXF-9511) is for the Transmission Warmer / Cooler which sits atop the CVT Trans housing fed by water hoses feed to & from the In Cabin Heater & Radiator.

It's not really a necessary part of the actual CVT Fluid change service, however it's a good inclusion in the kit for those who might want to replace it later on.
Sam ..... *thumb*

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:50 am

I need to look into servicing my cvt

Return to “Maintenance”