***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Rear Wheel Speed Sensor

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Mecanico
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Rear Wheel Speed Sensor

Postby Mecanico » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:24 am

Hi, have a lancer CJ VRX 2008 with 82,000 on the clock.

Never had a problem till today. The ABS needs service yellow warning came up. ABS and ACS do not work anymore.
My mechanic hook computer and tells that the RR wheel hall effect has failed.
Cable are not cut and look ok.

Any ideas of how much costs could this be involved ? Parts, labour etc?
I booked the car for Monday with this mechanic but he could not tell me the costs. He has fixed only 2 times other cars but the failure was in the power supply of the ABS unit. So this is the first time for a sensor failure, he says.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advanced !

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby toc » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:57 pm

The hall effect sensor sits underneath, behind the rotor and is more or less a magnet style 'contact'.
As the 'tone' ring passes by, it produces a pulse that the ECU is monitoring (gives it wheel speed!).

If it is indeed the sensor, it's a fairly easy object to replace (buy part, get under car (safely supported of course!), and remove and replace the sensor.

If you are mechanically inclined, you might just find there's some crap that's between the sensor and the tone ring..
Or it's genuinely stuffed.

Put simply - it really, really, could not possibly be, that expensive of a replacement (it's such a simple bit of technology - the same 'principle' is used in commercial / residential entrance doors to give security systems a signal that the door is 'open').

Mecanico
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mecanico » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:30 am

Jason, thanks. Well my mechanic just called me and tells me that tthe sensor is gone and the spare is $ 400 dollars. I have checked on eBay and vendors from various parts say 387 dollars brand new. Looks like it is big bad luck. the car has done only 82,000 K. I am not impressed...................
Yes, it is a hall effect sensor. I used to sell them in my days of Texas Instruments Semiconductors. In automotive they want to pay nothing when you sell to the OEM and then they charge 340 times more to end user.

biotin
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby biotin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:12 am

It once happened to me . What I did was just air cleaned the sensor and the problem never re-occur again . (touch wood) 20k so far..

Return to “Maintenance”