***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

ERROR CODE - Engine/Transmission problems - Help?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

lurka
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby lurka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:28 pm

My post, and the components you have quoted, deal directly with independent ramping of the SST clutch apply pressure table.

Flashing a RA with S-Sport just applies different software with factory allocated pressure tables.

So, as far as I am concerned, NO, flashing S-Sport to a RA wont do any more damage than what you would find in a normal operating factory standard EVO software.

LC is tremendously abusive to the vehicle.. period. This will kill the drivetrain. Maybe not the first time or 15th time, but it will cause components to be exposed to stress that they don't need to be exposed to.

Cool if you're playing for sheep stations, competitively drag racing, or launching off the line on the starting grid in a race.
But racing some HSV, STi, FPV for shits and giggles at the lights, well.... if you do break a transfer case or fry the clutches, it's a lot of $$$ for the sake of saying. Chopped that fully sick commy, bro!

I concur with Daniel, in Normal mode the SST clutch apply is woeful when driving in a spirited fashion.
The clutch apply pressure is lacking and allows time for slip to occur causing damage to the steel elements of the clutch components. I rarely see burnt frictions.

S-sport mode has shorter apply times and ramped up apply pressures to allow for faster engage and disengage of the clutches minimising slip on apply and drag on release.

I hope this clarifies.

the sam
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby the sam » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:49 pm

While I understand the correlation between line pressures and damage to the shift forks, I don't go applying ridiculous amounts of pressure for the sake of having super quick shifts as I know how much damage this does. I increase pressures directly in accordance to how the gearbox feels and what mods it has.

I do believe that age and km directly relates to most sst failures, especially as they approach 150k km...
230kw/430nm @ 24psi on E85
12.191 @ 108.81mph - Fastest stock turbo ralliart in Australia
www.facebook.com/BoostinJuiceTuningSydney
www.clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=369141#369141

JustinR
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JustinR » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:06 pm

Damien, is there a way to check the shift fork needs repair without pulling apart the SST?

poe_sniper
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby poe_sniper » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:15 pm

JustinR wrote:Damien, is there a way to check the shift fork needs repair without pulling apart the SST?

Sort of but no. You can hook up a scan tool and look at the reading of where the fork is and it will tell you that its X mm. Then compare with the table detailing the specific positions of the fork (also take into account tolerances). If yours is outside these measurements then its broken.

BUT what is broken? The magnetic fork or the mech unit (giving a false reading). That can only be verified by pulling the mech unit and testing to to see if the magnet is wobbling around/still there.

lurka
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby lurka » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:19 pm

Jarryd is correct on the only ways to investigate the shift fork are to either see what the vehicle sees, by use of a scan tool. Or remove the mech and physically inspect.

Sam, sure, I have seen some higher mileage units that have 'just failed' stock standard no tune 'as the manufacturer intended' vehicles. Generally clutch issues, but I did have one fork issue.

But the question is, if the vehicle had driven fine for 130,000 odd km granted without an oil change for a large portion of that (but within the manufacturers requirements) with no issue, and then it was modified, wouldn't you start looking there, as a matter of course?
The sensor could have already been compromised and the ramping of pressures to allow for the mods to the vehicle, finally pushed it over the edge??

I'm sure all these concerns you went through with your client, so they were aware of the possible outcomes.

No one is pointing fingers, and no one is blaming anyone, I merely stated what we see come through work. Simple as that.

IF this failure was a result of a tuning concern, then your 'faulty workmanship clause' on your insurance policy you should hold, would fall into this category.

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:25 pm

lol, erp
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Trouble
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Trouble » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:22 pm

Sam is going above and beyond in attempt to fix things - I'll keep you all updated with how we pan out

I just want to experience my car already

Spend $XXXX on Evo X Turbo Upgrade - and then only get to drive it 5-10 times is torture :( haha

Return to “Maintenance”