***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Grinded gear

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

wolfeey152
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Grinded gear

Postby wolfeey152 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:09 pm

So I made the mistake of letting my partner drive my new lancer. Shes learning from start. She did alright All except she threw it into reverse while moving around 1-2 kmh car was just off stopping. And it crunched. she did this 3 times today

Why did it crunch.? From my experience with manuals they normally don't. And did she cause any damage? What should I look out for or check?

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:41 pm

to think about it simply the gear is spinning and you trying to force a gear the is spinning the same to mesh in, that is a very basic way to look at it but if you picture that it is obvious to why it would grind and doing it 3 times shouldn't damage it wouldn't do it often tho, and as for what to check, cant really look without going into your gearbox, which is pulling the engine out, the only other thing you could check if if it makes any noises or doesn't drive smoothly,

but as i said shouldn't have any issues with a few times just don't do it often

wolfeey152
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby wolfeey152 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:34 pm

Alright well easiest way would be not let her drive the lancer lol

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:38 pm

i also learned to drive in a manual a long time ago. (not in a lancer) totally ruined the gear box.
vehicle was still drivable but clutch was worn out. 4th gear would also not engage most of the time.

as someone is learning extra wear and tear will occur.
I highly recommend learning in a car with no power steering and manual so that they fully appreciate how technology has progressed.

I can only suggest that extra maintenance be carried out.
replace clutch\brake fluid more often. and replace gearbox oil more often.

As the main driver you will know if any new symptoms come along ie gears not engaging, weak grip, etc.
It is at that point that we look at diagnostic troubleshooting.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:13 pm

I still on occasion grind the gears, mostly into revers when parking and the car might be rolling a little. Did it last week backing out the drive. I don't think it's a big deal if you don't do it all the time.

I drive a 3 ton Isuzu for a charity and recently going from 3rd to 4th has been an issue, it's not me but the GB as it's only that gear change which is an issue. Basically to make a smooth change you need to do it at low RPM which is an issue going up hill. Presonally I think it's a syncro issue for 4th but it's not an issue going down from 5th.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

wolfeey152
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby wolfeey152 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:22 am

Thanks guys. I might pay for some lessons for her before we attempt another try :) i want her to learn but I just don't want to have to replace my gearbox

Return to “Maintenance”