***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Trust worthy mechanics - NSW Sydney western area

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Trust worthy mechanics - NSW Sydney western area

Postby XTPN » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:37 pm

Hey everyone. Sadly, my clutch is going at 51,000... I bought it at 49,000. Does anyone know any good mechanics around the Sydney western area that I can replace it at?(Fairfield, livo, cabra, etc.) Also, what price range will I be expecting?

Thanks all

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:50 am

Sorry to hear that.

Not in Sydney so can't help with specific places but I do suggest shopping around, if you know the exact problem get some quotes and don't rule out your local Mitsy dealer.

Depending if the motor needs lifting the cost can be high, mostly for the labor. Surely some members here could help out and do the job, anyone know how to replace the clutch in a CJ?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Twellsy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Mechanic

Postby Twellsy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:18 am

Hey Mate,

I use F & E Mechanical Repairs , 84 Victoria street Smithfield 9604 4226
I just recently had mine done for $150 but the motor was already out at the time so not sure what the actual would be.
Give them a call ask for George and tell him Craig from Steritech sent you and he will look after you.

Cheers Twellsy
ID: 2281

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby XTPN » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:06 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Sorry to hear that. Not in Sydney so cant help with specific places but I do suggest shopping around, if you know the exact problem get some quotes and dont rule out your local Mitsy dealer. Depending if the motor needs lifting the cost can be high, mostly for the labor. Surely some members here could help out and do the job, anyone know how to replace the clutch in a CJ?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Twellsy wrote:Hey Mate, I use F & E Mechanical Repairs , 84 Victoria street Smithfield 9604 4226 I just recently had mine done for $150 but the motor was already out at the time so not sure what the actual would be. Give them a call ask for George and tell him Craig from Steritech sent you and he will look after you. Cheers Twellsy

Thanks. I went to them today. They were really good, lifted the car straight up.

However, bad news....
They inspected it and it turns out that there is a massive crack in the engine and gearbox... and that the whole thing needs to be replaced. I've only had the car for about 5 months(some history on the car: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=17619&highlight=)

I've contacted the 'seller' and asked about the warranty he provided with the purchase. He spoke with them and I will too, to book an inspection. I am doubtful the warranty will cover much tho.. I will post a picture of the covered components.

If the warranty doesn't turn out well, I'm not sure what I'll do with the car(this is my first car). A new engine will cost too much so that is out of my ideal. Sell it? salvage? auction? I don't know what do you guys think?

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby XTPN » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:25 pm

Image[/url]

Twellsy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Twellsy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:53 pm

That sucks hope you have some luck with the warrantyclaim, happy George could take a look for you.
George replaced my motor for $1800 a couple of months ago, it was a 2014 model with 9000 on the clock.

Cheers Twellsy

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby XTPN » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:00 pm

Dam. What happened to yours?

Twellsy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Twellsy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:17 pm

I had some engine work done by a mechanic shop, they either never filled it with oil or never put the sump plug back in and i drove the car empty ( when i went back to them they had closed down ) George saved my ass big time, he organised towing and replaced the motor within 3 days.
My car is my life line, i drive over an hour each way to work and no public transport avaliable.
If you have no luck with a warranty claim speak to George and see what options you have.

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby XTPN » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:49 pm

Sorry to hear that, no wonder they closed down... Was that 1800 for a new engine and installment? Alright cool.
Thanks a lot for the help, appreciate it.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:54 pm

Sorry for the bad luck, even outside the usually used car warranty you would think such a big issue would be covered. Clearly this car has been thrashed or crashed.

I'm amazed when the other work was do they didn't see the problem or did it just happen?

Hope George and the ClubCJ community can help you getting it back up and running with replacement parts.

Twellsy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Twellsy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:01 pm

Yeah it was $1800 supplied and installed and $50 for the tow.
The clutch was worn out so he replaced it for $150 while the motor was out.

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby XTPN » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Thanks for the support. Maybe both.. Thrashed and crashed haha. Well I guess that's the perks of buying from a private seller. The mechanic that did my tie rod only worked on that and didn't inspect anything else... I guess a lazy mechanic. Hence, this thread on a 'trustworthy mechanic' around my area. He did diagnose it with a slipping clutch but I think the crack in my engine and gearbox also contributes to this. I believe it was purchased like this. And that the extra 2,000km I drove on it has made the damages worst. Cheers mate.

Wow, sounds reasonbale. I had someone tow my car 2 weeks ago for $150... it was like 10min drive to the place.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:34 pm

I thought you got it through a dealer?

Might poke my head under mine tomorrow... just to check it LOL

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby XTPN » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:I thought you got it through a dealer? Might poke my head under mine tomorrow... just to check it LOL

Sorry, I must have mistaken myself. He was a seller, well a different kind of private seller. He sells several cars, so he must make a profit from it.

I'm sure yours is in good hands :D

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby XTPN » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Hey everyone just an update on my current situation; I just brought my car to the place the seller told me to go to. Initially I thought it was a mechanic, but it was actually an auto spare/salvage yard. Apparently this place takes care of cars that is covered under this "3rd party warranty". The place was congested and the guy said to me that I needed a booking to bring the car in. I will be coming back on Monday.

I think I have finally puzzled everything together and have come to a conclusion that I have unknowingly purchased a rebuilt salvaged car. I believe my car has been rebirth from this 'yard'. And that if I'm lucky enough, the car will be given back to me with its 2nd rebirth. Excuse my terms, hahaha. Here are the points that have made me come to this:

- Car was purchased for $9300 (2009 Lancer VRX @49,000). Must be a reason why the deal was so good.

- 'Private seller' provided warranty

- Car resprayed (there is another coat of red under rock chips, different shades of reds via colour matching)

- Broken tie rod on the passenger (Only explanation for this is the car has been in an accident on the front end of car. Either this has caused the weakening of the rod or it has already been replaced with an old part)

- Major crack/fracture on the engine crankcase(I believe this is what its called). << clear sign of ACCIDENT

- According to service book, the car was last serviced in 2010 at 13,000km

Call me stupid but I can't believe I didn't notice all this before purchasing the car. I thought that since the car has REGO(still does, till SEP) and has came back with a clean PPSR/REVS check I'd be good. I guess my emotions and excitement overtook my judgement at time. But who wouldn't be for a Lancer as their first car? hahaha. I got my first job and worked day in and out for this! Well now I know.

Thanks all!! :)

Return to “Maintenance”