***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Road Trip Adelaide 2016

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Road Trip Adelaide 2016

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Okay planning a road trip for my parents from Brisbane to Adelaide and back along the east coast so a total of about 6000km.

I have a MY09 VRX which had it's 90k service back in Nov eve though its still under 90k, just.

My question is do I really need to do much prep for the trip, this will be my first interstate trip in this car and first long drive in a very long time.

Also should I bring any tools, I have road side assistance cover and the car has a warranty and is insured if the worst happens.

What should I expect my fuel usage to be for the basically stock 2.4 (manual) VRX with a cat back?

BTW I'm planing to record the whole trip on my dash cam, I have a plan to save the footage.

Trip is planned for June or July and still in the early planning stages but I want to cover my bases.

Sorry if the questions sound lame.

Edited - Changed the title
Last edited by Lancer1993 on Wed May 11, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:10 pm

+Drinking water because when you do eventually get stranded....
I generally always keep one of those goon boxes so around 10L in my car always.
can also be used to refill your radiator in a pinch

+First Aid Kit.
+replacement headlight bulb that you know works.
+Duct Tape

This is more of a convenience
+A 12v gun (or a better direct to battery leads so you don't blow your cigarette fuse) so you can spin off those wheel nuts quickly when you do get that flat tire in the wet.

+ Full sized spare (preferably another alloy rim)
This will mean that you wont have to hobble back at 60-80 km\hr on the space saver. which is a total joke.

+Jumper Leads, or you can wait the 3 hours+ for roadside assist in the middle of nowhere.
+blankets, so if you do get stuck you can stay warm, don't rely on HVAC if your stuck.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:50 pm

Some good points there.

But we will be sticking with the space saver, partly because of the cost but we will be limited with boot space so can't afford to loose 10cm depth in the boot. I know to put the SS on the back if I have a flat on the front.

Got some good jumper leads and we will have an cooler with drinks, but yes a few bottles of water in the boot wouldn't hurt. Want to get a first aid kit for the car and have a few in mind. Not planning much night driving but will look into some better replacement globes at SCA. Maybe fit them and use the old ones as backups, and get come fuses just in case.

Thing is many years ago (mid 90s) drove from Alice to Bathurst by my self in my them new CC coupe, it never missed a beat apart from a faulty central lock which was fitted after market and fixed when I was in Sydney. I don't expect any problems with the CJ but its always good to be prepared.

Will have phones and laptop along with GPS and have mapped out some options already and will spot check road using Google maps, also got an iPod classic with 80Gb of tunes!. Somethings unheard of back in the mid 90s.

D
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby D » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:20 pm

This ;p
Protect that paint
Yeah they are ok
So this was what I was hinting at, basically I was bored one day and thinking how to protect my Evo's against stone chips from my trips to Adelaide and back here was my solution the masking tape car bra enjoy!!!!
And yes it did work, another plus is that I did not have to clean the car straight away out of shame :)
(Excuse the third photo I was parched slightly in a ditch and my car looks like it is hovering)
I should probably add that, It rained on the way home and the tape held up perfectly and peeled off as expected
I did the 7 for the trip home
So there it is, today I left the X at home to sit in waiting, this was a little sad but it keeps her in awesome condition and low km's
At Keith in the 7, the usual location was packed so this will have to do
Sitting pretty :)
My EVO (X MR) progress: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=328713#328713
4 cylinders, 3 diamonds, 2 litre, 1 turbo, 0 reasons to buy anything else
ROTM WINNER SEPT 2014

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:17 am

I know thats the cheap option but I'd rather a clear coat, I'll think about doing it... do they have that tape in yellow?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:04 am

Is a car bra worth the trouble?

Clone
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Clone » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:55 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:I know thats the cheap option but Id rather a clear coat, Ill think about doing it... do they have that tape in yellow?

Hi Craig,

This could be what you are looking for.

http://www.tapesonline.com.au/adhesive- ... -tape.html

I bought this one http://www.tapesonline.com.au/adhesive- ... -tape.html last night hoping it will get delivered on Monday.

As for first aid kit, Kogan is selling one for $29 with free shipping.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:24 pm

Cool, thanks. How many roles do you think I'd need?

Clone
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Clone » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:25 pm

It comes down to whether you wanted the "Transparent / Clear" or the "Translucent Blue". Bare in mind, they cost roughly the same but there is a big difference in the length of the tape.

Transparent / Clear Anti Chip Tape (48mm x 5m) - $29.20
PVC Translucent Blue Protection Tape (48mm x 66m) - $27.90

If you protected like what Dion did to his Evo, I would say one roll of the Translucent Blue is more than enough for a return trip. Whereas for the Clear tape you probably need at least 6-7 rolls for a single trip. You might as well go for a car bra for between $300-$500.

For you info, that price is ex GST and there is also a shipping cost.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:31 pm

I've seen cheaper car-bras on eBay.

Thanks for the advice, not sure if I'd cover the front and I don't like car-bars as they protect such a tiny part of the bonnet, besides I do have plans to do something with the bonnet and maybe bumper later on. If I'd just spent a packet of cash on the front I'd probably cover it.

chris
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby chris » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:08 am

I always carry a small compressor and a tyre repair kit and repair it on the car, have never used the small spare wheel.

chris
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby chris » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:20 am

Another way to avoid stone chips is to fit mud flaps front and rear, this helps with side chips, I had clear venture shield fitted when the car was new expensive but worth it in the long run.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:21 am

Like this :)

Fitted them last week.

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:54 pm

I've done this trip about 4 times now in the last 13 years... All of them with a 3.5l V6 Magna.
Always make sure you got fluids with you for drinking... a battery jumpstarter, spare wheel and tools for it, warm clothing as it gets freezing out there during winter at night / early morning.. trust me..
Also I wouldn't drive at night, too dangerous. I broke the trips up into 3 days.. each about 8hr driving. So have breakfast, drive, and arrive at next motel for dinner... its not as stressing, and motels out there are cheap.

Make sure you got good phone coverage also.. just in case.

I'd take spare fuel. I did as car was tuned to 98RON, and wasn't sure there would be enough stations on the way. Luckily I never needed the spare fuel, but better be safe than sorry.

That's about all really. Check engine fluids, tire condition etc to ensure car is up to it... there are some shithouse roads out there... especially in QLD outback... As soon as you get into NSW / VIC... its amazing how much better the roads got.

Good luck. Oh, and also I wouldn't recommend going through Broken Hill.... most boring drive ever... go further south and then cut across.
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:55 pm

Wasn't planing any night driving as I'm the only driver, so was planing 3 day. There isn't much phone coverage out side of towns going through central NSW so there isn't much we can do there.

I know how cold it can get, even now here in QLD it's really cooled off at nights now. Many years ago when I went from Alice to Bathurst I remember stopping just out side Port Augusta after driving all day and scrambling to get some warm clothes on I'd packed.

Shouldn't need fuel as I plan to fuel up where I know I can get it as I don't run 98RON it shouldn't be an issue. Car had it's 90k service back in November and it got new tires around the same time.

I went through Broken Hill on that trip to the Bathurst 1000, I agree, not much out there. Planning to go from the Sunshine coast through Dalby, Dubbo, Hay and across to Mildura, around 2100km! But coming back the longer way through Mount Gambier and the Great Ocean Road to Melbourne, up the Hume to a few stops around Sydney and the north coast.

So I'm not board I'll be finding some nice roads on the way home!

Return to “Maintenance”