***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Road Trip Adelaide 2016

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed May 04, 2016 6:22 pm

your service book indicates the rough vehicle weight depending on model and options fitted.

you will need to add fuel which is 0.7kg per Liter and each occupant.
K+N drop in
RA intake
SS 4-2-1 Headers
Whiteline Strut Brace
Whiteline Rear Sway Bar
SuperPro Polyurethane Bushings
Paddle Shifters

Merlinised

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Yeah I know what the weight should be 'dry' but it will be so much easier to just weigh the car with all the crap and passengers in it. I know my local tip has one and I did ask them once if we could do it, but since they are over 2000km away right now its not an option until we get home. So last resort if we can't find some other place.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Wed May 04, 2016 8:56 pm

toc wrote:Odd - I had my car down to 5.8l/100km from NSW to Qld just a few weeks ago. So, yeh, 8-9 is unusually high. And yeh, I had cruise control on most of that, and yeh, I had it maintaining the speed limit.. On the trip back I got to the 6.4l/100k (and got 750ks out of the tank :)).

The range of the car if it were really using 6.4 L/100 km is 921 km. I don't suggest you try that though as that is until completely dry. You should have had 170 km left on the distance to empty, although not sure if they include a 50 km safety margin or not.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed May 04, 2016 10:58 pm

Well on the last fill I waited until the 2nd warning but it only took 51Lt so I it only had 100km in the tank, on that tank it used 8.7Lt/100km and it was ULP. But that was with a stiff head wind and the trip computer said for the day we averaged just under 100kmh, the actual HWY speeds were mostly 110 from Forbes to Euston. Actually filled up the night before and stopped at West Wyalong. But most oft the tank was burnt off the next day.

Maybe Merlin needs to tune it?

Will be interesting on the return trip through VIC and NSW via the Great Ocean Road and Hume, then up the coast to QLD to see if we do any better heading home with shorter day runs.

BTW mine does have the 2.4 not the 2.0Lt engine, I know there might be a difference.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Wed May 04, 2016 11:53 pm

Yeah, as I mentioned previously it seems the fuel economy reading is more efficiency related than record keeping. I find my actual fuel economy seems to be better than the readout. I guess with country driving it would probably be more accurate than varying city traffic conditions.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu May 05, 2016 7:09 am

Yeah I agree.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:42 am

Made it, filled up in Gawler with just over 55Lt so pretty close to empty, still only got 8.7lt/100 out of the car. Weirdly driving around Adelaide it improved to less than 7. Will see how it goes in the next few days visiting realities.

Unfortunately won't have time for a meet, still working out what each day will bring.

Are there any public weigh bridges south of Adelaide, will be heading to Millicent in 5 days once done here.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Fri May 06, 2016 7:56 am

Make the most of today, there looks to be significant weather developing here tomorrow and into Sunday and Monday.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:01 am

BTW We're at an apartment on North Tce, the Oaks building and on the way up (parking) we passed a white CJ, looked to be either a a RA or more likely a EVO X. Didn't get a rego yet but it has a bunch of spare bumpers stacked behind it.

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby toc » Fri May 06, 2016 6:34 pm

burfadel wrote:[quote:5da3b09d4c=toc]Odd - I had my car down to 5.8l/100km from NSW to Qld just a few weeks ago. So, yeh, 8-9 is unusually high. And yeh, I had cruise control on most of that, and yeh, I had it maintaining the speed limit.. On the trip back I got to the 6.4l/100k (and got 750ks out of the tank :)).[/quote:5da3b09d4c] The range of the car if it were really using 6.4 L/100 km is 921 km. I dont suggest you try that though as that is until completely dry. You should have had 170 km left on the distance to empty, although not sure if they include a 50 km safety margin or not.

Yeh, the distance to empty seems to be off from the actual tank.
I believe the fill up was 49.99L :).

Remember, the pump is cooled by fuel, so it's never actually a good idea to run it down to empty, but Mitsubishi might have accounted for this in their design and set the 'distance to empty' to be less than the actual - I think the tank is 65L, so I had 15L to go.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri May 06, 2016 7:25 pm

Yeah wasn't planning to run it so low but got stuck north of Gawler when the first warning hit. But all safe and will be keeping a closer eye on it so we fuel with maybe 1/4 tank left.

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Viking » Fri May 06, 2016 8:07 pm

toc wrote:I think the tank is 65L, so I had 15L to go.

According to my owner's manual hiding in the glove-box, it's 59 litres.

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby toc » Fri May 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Viking wrote:[quote:ed3ebdc98f=toc]I think the tank is 65L, so I had 15L to go.[/quote:ed3ebdc98f] According to my owners manual hiding in the glove-box, its 59 litres.

Yep, so 49.98 / 759.2KM = 6.5l/100km.
Extra 9L left in the tank would have provided enough to go around an extra 150ks or so (putting the pump at risk though).

What happens is the range goes to "---" after range reaches around 60KM, so you don't know what the range is - I note that Craig indicated a second warning appears... I wasn't going to go find that :)...

It's a good run from Gold Coast to Sydney, they have some road works to finish up, and some average speed cameras to remove, but it's definitely a good run - and the lancer can near do it off one full tank ! (well .. those that don't use near 8l/100kM :P)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri May 06, 2016 8:37 pm

WOW so when I put in 55.5 I was running on about 3.5Lt!

Yeah the first warning kicks in at about 50km left but it depends on when, so if you're getting close and leave the car until the next morning the warning might come on sooner as your usage will be artificially high.

The 2nd warning come on about 30km later from my experience, so not an issue around town but on the HWY 30km from the next town its something to be aware of. But that said in general you'll get to the next servo without issues.

That all said I have noticed the tank seems to burn off quicker in the 2nd half, when I first fuel up I'll get a range of more than 700km but even on HWY travel it will usually give me a warning before 600km is done.

It is a challenge watching your GPS distance left (to next stop) matching your trip computer range and making sure the fuel doesn't run out.

BTW went done Victor Harbor today, went though the Biggs Flat area, some nice twisty 3-4 gear roads. Didn't get away until lunch so couldn't spend much time down there.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Fri May 06, 2016 8:55 pm

if you decide to replace your fuel filter which is located inside the tank you will see the float mechanism which is still a manual method of measuring the amount of fuel left.
As shown here.

there are some lines that also give you a measurement of float position and they should correspond to what level is seen on the dash fuel display.
K+N drop in

RA intake

SS 4-2-1 Headers

Whiteline Strut Brace

Whiteline Rear Sway Bar

SuperPro Polyurethane Bushings

Paddle Shifters

Merlinised

Return to “Maintenance”