***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

My Lancer somehow broke itself

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

kburnie
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

My Lancer somehow broke itself

Postby kburnie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:44 am

Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has come across a situation like mine.
I have a 2013 LX Lancer. Has been serviced every 6 months as I do approx 15k in that time.

Yesterday morning my brother moved my car it turned on perfectely, ran smoothly and turned off fine.

However 4 hours later I went to turn the car on to go for a drive on my first day off in ages and it doesn't turn over.
All lights/aircon and dash still work it just wont actually complete turning over.
My brother who is a mechanic tried jumping it and no go it's definitely not the battery.
BUt he did say there is no compression whatsoever and it could possibly be a snapped timing chain etc.

There is still oil/coolant and battery charge and there has been no indication that this was going to happen at al. No leaks or rough running.

Obviously I'm going to call my dealership and get it trucked down but iwas just wondering if anyone has had any sudden issues like this before?
I took the road less travelled, and that made all the difference.

ashleymorris
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ashleymorris » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:25 am

Never had that problem but if it's not the battery could it be the starter motor? Seems a bit early for something like that to die though..

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:36 am

well first things first.

Any error codes?

When your vehicle isn't starting, you first need to make an important distinction as to the type of no-start you have. There are two basic types of no-start conditions: crank/no start and no crank/ no start. When an engine cranks, you can hear it spin, but the engine doesn't catch and run on its own. So with a no crank/no start, you don't hear the engine moving at all. You might hear a click or buzz but nothing else.

Turn your headlights on. if they are bright and stay on then your battery is generally good.
Next step is to clean battery connections. you can be amazed that how not having clean connections can affect system performance.

Do you hear a loud single click when you turn the key? (generally starter motor)

Do you have fuel being delivered into the engine?
Do you have spark coming from any of the plugs?

If your fuel system is good and your electrical system is good. then the last point of troubleshooting is the mechanical integrity of the engine which includes timing.

If your brother suspects compression loss. i would inspect the timing chain. however it is possible to have compression loss due to the cylinders have been flooded with fuel, if you remove the spark plugs and their wet. then your issue is a flooded engine.
Let them dry, or replace them , jump in mash the throttle pedal to the floor for 30 secs and start it up. dont crank to long or you will burn out the starter.

IF you have a snapped or broken timing chain then its game over and you hopefully get a new engine from Mitsubishi as there will most certainly be bent valves and broken rings\pistons as a result of having no timing.

kburnie
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby kburnie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:45 am

Thanks Daniel,
Its a crank but no start. The battery has full charge and all lights work, alarm beeps on and off when locking and unlocking.
The battery connections are pristine as is the general look of the engine. It is after all only 14 months old.

There are no error codes whatsoever and I've never noticed anything out of place.
My brother obviously doesn't want to go pulling everything apart as any faults should be fixed by mitsubishi, were just all baffled that a fault like this could literally come on in a flash.

Fingers crossed a warranty claim should be smooth and trouble less.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:01 pm

Ahh right. I didn't realise you still had full warranty left! and it being that brand new!
If you have no error codes then timing should be fine. these are high interference engines, and any issues should trigger a code.

I'm going to go with flooded engine.

As everything else is built to last in these cars.

Let me know what the Dealership says.

kburnie
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby kburnie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:23 pm

I will. Luckily for me I have the option of a company car which I'll be taking up at least that will get me from A-B for the time being :)

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:17 pm

Hey :)

I had a similar problem last week with my LX :O!

I moved my car a couple of inches so I could clean all my leather and interior, Went to try and start the car that night, and it wouldn't turn over, although turns out the problem was most likely a flooded engine....

That same night, the Fiancee tried to start it, and with trying to start it for a good 10-20 seconds and the foot on the floor? Or whatever car minded people do xD

This is how mine sounded when I was trying to start it, figured I should record it as proof in future if I ever needed it....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0pfy0k5q985o ... 7.MOV?dl=0

I rang My local dealer the next morning to for advice as to what could be the issue, seeing as you have a 2013 model, I would highly suggest calling the number on the service sticker on your car, It's basically RACT Or whatever you have in your state, roadside assist. It's also free :D Because it's under the diamond advantage warranty :D Before they organize towing, they will go through all the necessary procedures, it could be something simple from a flooded engine to a starter motor or something else... In which they will organize towing to your local dealer (pretty sure it's free ;) )

Goodluck :) I hope you find the problem! :)
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

kburnie
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby kburnie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:31 pm

Thanks Tiff, Unfortunately because it originally only comes with 1 year road side assist mines just out so I've been told to get it to my dealership on my own accord.
Ther advisor I spoke to was a bit baffled as to what could have happened but I guess we will find out.

Did yours end up starting after all that?

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:43 pm

Yup :) I also haven't had any problems since... Although admittedly I've gone from driving it once to twice a week (The fiancee insists that we take his car everywhere) to everyday since the incident has happened.... :S

Also weird that you only get 1 year road side assist :S I thought it was a 5 year thing :S I have 5 years with the 150 K warranty as well :S

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:44 pm

Mystique wrote:Also weird that you only get 1 year road side assist :S I thought it was a 5 year thing :S I have 5 years with the 150 K warranty as well :S

Roadside assistance is 1 year. That's the standard as far as I know. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though!
VG/Ultra Racing/Whiteline/Work/Ralliart/Supercircuit/Cosworth/Pioneer/BC/Recaro

kburnie
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby kburnie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:51 pm

I drive my car 6 days a week for work and usually motorbike on sundays so I easily do about 6-700 a week so its definitely getting used.
RA is only 1 year unless you service it at a mitsubishi Dealer then I believe they can extend it for a futher year so and so forth.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:42 pm

Flooding of the engine by gasoline is generally caused by high RPM use prior to engine shut off. if you live near or on a steep hill i would say that would be it.

Even moving the car car with the engine for just 1 second is enough to potentially cause this as Tiff mentioned earlier.

As the engine is dumping huge amounts of fuel on a cold start to get the engine up to normal operating temp as quickly as possible

If your on a flat surface and its safe, its easier and cheaper to dump it in Neutral and push!

Also in Tiff's video you can hear the rapid compression of the cylinders.

Good work recording it!

kburnie
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby kburnie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:28 pm

Understand, The funny thing is that my brother commented to me when handing the keys back after he moved it how smooth of a drive it was. He's a Holden fan so he was hell bent on hating the thing but actually said it was a quick start nice and quiet and now this. Everywhere is flat. It was a simple reverse and turn manouevoure.
I'm still working on towing quotes to get the car to a dealership but it looks like I can get something done on Friday.

You'd think working at a car dealership would have helped me a bit. ha.

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks dude! Figured I'd record it for future reference or if my car actually wouldn't start xD Actually got lucky that it started xD I tried for ages before the fiancee came home and started it first go. I was so mad xD :P

I swear I have 5 years :L May have to pull my paperwork out and find out :S

But hopefully you resolve the problem quickly!!!

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:56 pm

Flooded engine for sure, remove spark plugs and dry them, they are soaked in petrol, put them back and try to start the car. it will crank for couple of times and than at the 3rd or 4th attempt the car should start.
What it caused? Really short engine run, when you start a car the injectors will push extra amount of fuel into the engine, not letting the engine run till all the x amount of fuel is burn will result in unburned fuel left in the engine (basic explanation). So next time let the car run for a bit before you turn it off.
Hope this helps

Return to “Maintenance”