***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

My Lancer somehow broke itself

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:15 pm

And if you've been servicing your car at a Mitsubishi Service centre, you get another 12months roadside assistance after each book service... ring the No. in your logbook...
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

kburnie
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby kburnie » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:01 pm

I haven't been hence my Roadside has lapsed but yes for anyone else. Servicing with a mitsubishi dealer will extend your roadside assist
I took the road less travelled, and that made all the difference.

kburnie
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby kburnie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:55 pm

So supposedly my engine seized, but they said there was no enging damage and they've poured hot oil over it to unsieze it.
I'm a little concerned to just accept that though, They couldn't tell me why it happened just that they've seen it on a colt and a lancer in the last few weeks?
Should I get my car back or ask for further investigation? I don't want to drive a car with an engine that's susceptible to this??

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:26 pm

hmm quite odd.
Generally can only happen if there is a mechanical malfunction like lack of oil pressure, or large amounts of water manages to get into the engine.
Heat soak can can also do this but not really a likely explanation in a NA car. As the car should not reach the same temperatures unless there is a malfunction in the cooling system.

Only thing i can suggest.
check fluid levels.
Monitor oil pressure and oil delivery system to engine.
inspect cooling system.

Generally engines that are seized do not get repaired as they basically friction weld themselves, generally the rings go first.
I'm quite surprised that they managed to bring it back to life with just pouring oil over it?

can anyone else chime in because that sounded sus?

Craig
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Craig » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:40 pm

Hmm does seem odd.

I did my trade as a mechanic in an engine reconditioning shop I never saw an engine that had seized that didn't need repairing in some way sorry to say.

I'd get a detailed report of what they did and do what Daniel said check all fluid levels, watch for excessive smoke coming from the exhaust and keep an eye on engine water temp.

Does sound sus to me.

kburnie
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby kburnie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:45 pm

Just called another Mitsubishi dealership and they said it was the most rediculous thing they've ever heard they are going to get the foreman to call me back when he's free.
If I do pick it up tomorrow I'm going straight to another dealership to get a second opinion.

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:49 pm

kburnie wrote:So supposedly my engine seized, but they said there was no enging damage and theyve poured hot oil over it to unsieze it.

all jokes aside srsly are you trolling?

- Your car wont start. OK
- You call a tow truck. OK
- The tow truck arrives. OK
- You tow your car. OK

all seems normal

then..

- You tow your car to..........? a back yard mechanic who says your engine is seized but pored hot oil over it to unsieze it?

kburnie
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby kburnie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:56 pm

I Trucked it to the selling mitsubishi dealer that I bought my car from!
Seriously My DP is ringing their DP now. But I cannot believe it.

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:59 pm

kburnie wrote:I Trucked it to the selling mitsubishi dealer that I bought my car from! Seriously My DP is ringing their DP now. But I cannot believe it.

ok....smart..its at the dealership...go down to and yell, scream, jump up and down, and do cart wheels until the fix your car and give you a courttesy car until its fixed...

was this a mitshi dearlership or a shoncky side road delarship?

kburnie
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby kburnie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:04 pm

Mitsy Dealership, Luckily the dealership I work at now has given me a company car and my boss has called their boss and started demanding answers. But yes slightly peeved.

The story is now that it may not have been seized at all and nobody knows their shit right now.

I'll be taking it to another mits place in perth to get it looked at again.

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:05 pm

kburnie wrote:I Trucked it to the selling mitsubishi dealer that I bought my car from...

Seems fairly self-explanatory...

Hope everything works out Katie - keep us updated. :-)
Last edited by Zaphod on Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:06 pm

kburnie wrote:Mitsy Dealership, Luckily the dealership I work at now has given me a company car and my boss has called their boss and started demanding answers. But yes slightly peeved. The story is now that it may not have been seized at all and nobody knows their shit right now. Ill be taking it to another mits place in perth to get it looked at again.

cool sounds like a dud of workers at the dearlship....make them pay for the tows....so yeah just make a noise and fuss infront of customers and they will fix it for you in no time

kburnie
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby kburnie » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:25 am

So the latest story is that it wasnt hot oil but hot water. "steam was used to build pressure to fix the compression issues".
The engine wasn't seized it just had no compression (which I know because that's what I told them).
They still haven't told me how they diagnosed that and what caused it apart from the fact that it is a common issue in Lancers and colts.

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:52 pm

I am so confused O_O
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Never heard that being used as a common solution on our cars...but then again i don't run a workshop.
Liquids\solids cannot be compressed but gases can. so having zero compression (in all cylinders?) is a serious concern.

If it was fuel or water then its ok to move on. water can be sucked in many ways and you could have had too much fuel or a bad batch.

If it was engine oil or coolant or any other foreign object that was causing the compression loss then the engine is mechanically unstable.

It may be to hard to do any root cause analysis on this as the fault is fixed? The only way would be a complete tear down.

IMHO they should have used shop air first directly into the intake manifold and opened up all the exhaust valves and taken off the exhaust. the air should have been enough to shoot any liquid out of the cylinders and onto the floor.

Return to “Maintenance”