***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Self Servicing

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Best method for service?

Mitsubishi Dealership
25%
Local Mechanic
13%
Self Service
63%

Total votes: 16

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:19 pm

scott_drake wrote:[quote:16b1f5f7d5=citris.87][quote:edcb4c2159=scott_drake][quote:3fd78f4b15=citris.87][quote:ce8dacce23=scott_drake][/quote:ce8dacce23] How do you think people are supposed to learn you ding bat. [/quote:3fd78f4b15] Dont insult me or call me names, that is breaking the club rules! People should learn the right way, (Go to school, do an apprenticeship and become qualified). or come from a mechanical background (ie parents and friends who are qualified watch over your work and check) where not talking about a $500 car that if somethings breaks ....ohh well itl be right Where talking about a $25,000+ car here that still has warranty!!! and if you dont get that booked stamped, your warranty is pretty much out the window... and most importantly, SAFETY!!!!!! Jack up a car wrong and hop under it, it can land on you and kill you. forget to tighten the sump or filter, it comes off, you blow your engine..ohh well... but you have just caused a 20 car pile up behind you because of the oil that pissed out onto the road forget to tighten wheel nuts proper...you hop onto a freeway..ohh well your wheel comes off at 110km/h you crash into a tree and die forget to tighten a control arm bolt, ohh well you go over a pot hole, arm comes off you loose control and smash into an oncoming truck and die slowly... theres right and wrong ways of learning things! some just learn the hard way[/quote:edcb4c2159] Sorry, how about I call you Scott_Drake, although I think that is more of an insult around here now then a ding bat. You do not seem to get it do you. You think everyone is a retard, they cannot handle the simple task of changing an oil filter. If this is for a mini service, in between his full service, which I believe it is just an oil change, then there is no reason he should not do it, and it would not affect his warranty, since only the full services are required for warranty (RTFM). Honestly, if your mate had his oil filter just suddenly start spooring out oil, it was probably some cheap ass ebay knock off or, he knocked it on something, there is a higher chance you would knock your oil filter on a lowered car, then it just unscrewing itself from the car because it was not tightened enough. Honestly, I did automotive in school, and partially in TAFE for a while, and I can tell you, the first year is really just learning common sense. People already know this, I learned all of that my self working on the car with my dad, he learned from doing it himself, so did I, never did I fail to screw in an oil filter properly... some how, pouring oil all over the road and causing a crash... or maybe I was driving in front of you that day? who knows... Maybe rather then voicing your opinion on everyone on every thread about every topic, you should learn a thing or two about what you are trying to say. Have you not noticed by now that every thread you touch ends up in a crap storm and is locked? OP, I am certain you are not an idiot, you have done some research, and hey, you are smart enough to continue your research and even ask a forum for further information. so if this is a half service, then go for it, you will be fine, you know what you are doing. Any of the Oils and Filters mentioned here will be more then fine. Good luck, and happy money savings to you.[/quote:16b1f5f7d5] firstly WHAT THE HELL IS A MINI SERVICE!!!!!!??? Really ive never heard of mini service in between full service...and secondly these cars dont need services in between services...a service is a service, an oil change is an oil change PERIOD!!!...really IMO i believe you live under a rock Yeah i have noticed this since the new members have joined on (such as yourself)...ive been on this forum for a very long time and seen people come and go like yourself, and people who have actually met me know who I am and what im about!!!! its because of people like you on this forum that keep mixing shit up for no reason and accusing without even knowing the facts! And no my mate did not knock hes oil filter or damage it, the filter housing separated from the threads....how you ask? Well you went to tafe (PFFT Partially BAHAHAHAHHA) so you should know what would cause it to separate...and no it was not a cheap ass ebay knock off filter (probably the kind you buy), and really you are DUMB! how can a lowered evo scrape an oil filter? Have you even seen the location of the oil filter on evos?..my guess is NO..and no my mates evo is not lowered it sits like a TRUCK! YOU threw the petrol into the fire... Im telling the og my advice and you come along insulting me, calling me names and insulting my intelligence. PLease do everyone a favour, just STOP!

Optional service between your services, I like to call them a mini service, I am not sure what you do not understand about that, call it what you will, partial service, mini service, intermittent service... And yes, I did only do a small amount of Tafe, the courses are split up into segments, and I already had a job, so there was no use in continuing at this point, maybe you would understand this if you had any form of higher education, maybe you should look into it, may I suggest an English class as your first choice.

Oil filters are in fact very low on a lot of cars, and you never mentioned that your 'mate' had an Evo, I am afraid I cannot keep track of all the 'friends' you have, since there seems to be one for every situation or question that someone ask on this forum.

The oil filter separated from the threads... I honestly have no idea what you are trying to say, I have heard of the gasket separating from the filter (Rare), but what you are suggesting is that either the housing expanded to a point that the filter was no longer seated, and somehow the filter itself didn't expand with the housing, or the filter mysteriously shrunk... Or.. the much.... MUCH more likely scenario, your 'friend' is an idiot, and put in a filter that never fit correctly in the first place.

And yes, its true, I am relatively new here, I actually have had no issues with anyone on the forum, and I joined to get away from people... well... like you, on the "Ego Forums", who think that just because they own an evo, that they have the right to comment on all things mechanical, and that they own the streets with their unmatched driving skills. This forum is (for the most part) different, its a nice community. And take a look around mate, its not just the new guys who are wise to your ignorance.

And P.S. I am not insulting your intelligence, you are doing a great job of that yourself.
Last edited by citris.87 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:20 pm

rokpapaziz wrote:[img:04dfd36e5f]http://www.clubcj.net/img/images/20140829163011_Mini_Service_1208.jpg[/img:04dfd36e5f]

Hahaha... Exactly ;)

jordan.fuchs
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby jordan.fuchs » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Sigh. Every post SD is involved in ends like this.

Ok firstly, Scott_drake, you may think you know what you're talking about, hell , you may actually know what you're talking about... But the way you deliver your knowledge comes across as if you know about as much as my girlfriend when it comes to cars (which, she thinks her barina is better than an evo). I would suggest you keep your future opinions to yourself, as this website actually has members that are asking reasonable questions and are expecting reasonable responses, take this thread for example.

Sven, I have met you and I'm fairly sure you can handle this on your own.

Oh also, Scott, I would accept ding bat, kirt could have said a lot worse... Haha

D
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby D » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:32 pm

citris.87 wrote: Yes, its true, I am relatively new here, I actually have had no issues with anyone on the forum, and I joined to get away from people... well... like you, on the Ego forums.

I didn't know you hung around the Subaru forums Kirt :)

citris.87 wrote: This forum is (for the most part) different, its a nice community.

+1 couldn't agree more
My EVO (X MR) progress: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?p=328713#328713
4 cylinders, 3 diamonds, 2 litre, 1 turbo, 0 reasons to buy anything else
ROTM WINNER SEPT 2014

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:49 pm

A curious question, with the 10 year drivetrain warranty, would you need to keep going to Mitsubishi to maintain it? Or would sending it to a local mechanic after your 5 year standard warranty has expired, void it?
VG/Ultra Racing/Whiteline/Work/Ralliart/Supercircuit/Cosworth/Pioneer/BC/Recaro

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:49 pm

A curious question, with the 10 year drivetrain warranty, would you need to keep going to Mitsubishi to maintain it? Or would sending it to a local mechanic after your 5 year standard warranty has expired, void it?
VG/Ultra Racing/Whiteline/Work/Ralliart/Supercircuit/Cosworth/Pioneer/BC/Recaro

jordan.fuchs
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby jordan.fuchs » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:07 pm

RyanMK wrote:A curious question, with the 10 year drivetrain warranty, would you need to keep going to Mitsubishi to maintain it? Or would sending it to a local mechanic after your 5 year standard warranty has expired, void it?

Legally Mitsubishi or any car company cannot void your warranty for taking it somewhere else to service the vehicle. If the mechanic used dodgy materials to perform the service, which led to a failure, then Mitsubishi can probably void warranty (fact check please).

Craker
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Craker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 pm

When I took my service book in to mitsu to get my warranty extended from 3 to five years I had not had it serviced by mitsu for about 15000ks but I was taking it to a good mechanic (mrt) and had the logbook stamped for every service. The guy behind the counter at mitsu at first said I am not going to approve the extension because you have not had it serviced at mitsu how do we know what has been done to the car because you have not had it serviced with us. I told him that's bull crap and I can have my car serviced with any licensed mechanic and still keep my warranty at which point he said " let me check I'll see what I can do", then he came back and said it's approved and my warranty is extended. So be careful with dealers they will try and get out of whatever they can.
2011 lancer ralliart sportback
192kw + 370nm at wheels virtual dyno by boostin juice tuning
Hyperflow intercooler, gfb respons bov , gs 3 port
ultimate racing uicp and licp, hyperflow cat back + hi flow cat
MCA blue coilovers and whiteline sway bars
T3 rotors and ds performance pads
enkei sc 22 wheels

Craig
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Craig » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:28 pm

jordan.fuchs wrote:Legally Mitsubishi or any car company cannot void your warranty for taking it somewhere else to service the vehicle. If the mechanic used dodgy materials to perform the service, which led to a failure, then Mitsubishi can probably void warranty (fact check please).

That is my belief too Jordan, they can't void a warranty if you take it to someone else, although they do entice you to stay with them like where my wife got her CJ they've extended her warranty by 3 years as long as she gets it serviced at their dealership.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:31 pm

they cannot deny you warranty if it has been serviced according to the manufacturers handbook. even if it has not been serviced at Mitsubishi dealer.

They can deny you warranty if.
1.) You abuse it (track or race or other) because its not sold for that purpose.
2.) Your modification has a direct impact to the failure of a component under warranty.
3.)Wear and tear & normal consumption
4.)Not using manufacturers specific fluids where required. eg transmission.
5.) incorrect work performed by outside tech\individual that caused a failure.
but then that ties to my first statement. If its serviced correctly....

I imagine Mitsubishi may feel less inclined to do warranty work if you have never been at their dealership as generally warranty work for parts and labor gets billed to corporate at specific rates with often the shop being out of pocket by a few hours, as they have strict codes to how much time is allowed for techs etc.
you may find yourself in a position to prove why the part should be replaced under warranty.
Also at the 10 year mark wear and tear will be a word your most likely going to hear a lot.

Your best bet would be to have a report done up from another certified mechanic as to why this part should be replaced under warranty as this builds credibility and forces Mitsubishi then to prove your mechanic wrong.

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:38 pm

Is the 10 year considered an extended warranty though? I think with extended they can apply conditions, I thought Mitsubishi had one where it had to be services by them once per year (A certain major service) I could be wrong though. I do know you need to service with Mitsubishi for the Road Side assistance, because that's covered by the service costs.

Your standard warranty is safe, regardless where you take it. If something breaks on your car, Mitsubishi does have to prove first that the issues was caused by a modification that wasn't approved by them. That wont stop them from trying though lol, they are very good of that

I think Daniels is dead on the money.

Craig
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Craig » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:46 pm

With the 10 year drive train all I can find at the moment without grabbing my service book out of the car is that it's 10 years or 160,000km which ever comes first

Craker
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Craker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:53 pm

Considering 3 years is 100000 and 5 is 130000. Unless you hardly ever drive your car then 160000 for 10 years isn't all that much.
2011 lancer ralliart sportback
192kw + 370nm at wheels virtual dyno by boostin juice tuning
Hyperflow intercooler, gfb respons bov , gs 3 port
ultimate racing uicp and licp, hyperflow cat back + hi flow cat
MCA blue coilovers and whiteline sway bars
T3 rotors and ds performance pads
enkei sc 22 wheels

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:04 pm

Craker wrote:Considering 3 years is 100000 and 5 is 130000. Unless you hardly ever drive your car then 160000 for 10 years isnt all that much.

Yeah haha, and I think they are getting rid of the 10 year, which is probably why its hard to find info on it at the moment. I think the average car usage is around 15000k per year, so I guess 10 years with average use is 150000k, so it would be useful to your "Average" user.

But if you are in a large city that might be harder, or if you do a lot of highway travel... I have done about 8000k per year on the Evo and 10000k on the Mazda, so I guess its pretty accurate...

Craig
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Craig » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:12 pm

Craker wrote:Considering 3 years is 100000 and 5 is 130000. Unless you hardly ever drive your car then 160000 for 10 years isnt all that much.

I'm at 153,000km and I bought the car in March 2009 :)

Return to “Maintenance”