***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Self Servicing

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Best method for service?

Mitsubishi Dealership
25%
Local Mechanic
13%
Self Service
63%

Total votes: 16

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:12 am

citris.87 wrote:[quote:ce8dacce23=scott_drake][/quote:ce8dacce23] How do you think people are supposed to learn you ding bat.

Dont insult me or call me names, that is breaking the club rules!

People should learn the right way, (Go to school, do an apprenticeship and become qualified). or come from a mechanical background (ie parents and friends who are qualified watch over your work and check)

where not talking about a $500 car that if somethings breaks ....ohh well itl be right

Where talking about a $25,000+ car here that still has warranty!!! and if you dont get that booked stamped, your warranty is pretty much out the window...

and most importantly, SAFETY!!!!!!

Jack up a car wrong and hop under it, it can land on you and kill you.

forget to tighten the sump or filter, it comes off, you blow your engine..ohh well... but you have just caused a 20 car pile up behind you because of the oil that pissed out onto the road

forget to tighten wheel nuts proper...you hop onto a freeway..ohh well your wheel comes off at 110km/h you crash into a tree and die

forget to tighten a control arm bolt, ohh well you go over a pot hole, arm comes off you loose control and smash into an oncoming truck and die slowly...

theres right and wrong ways of learning things!

some just learn the hard way

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:46 am

That's true that safety is paramount when working on your car or any heavy machinery.
However I have had shoddy work on my car done by qualified mechanics before. Sometimes they are too busy, sometimes they don't care. If they are running out of time they will take short cuts.

Also they see a lot of different cars and may not be as familiar with certain types of vehicles.

It's all dependant on the situation, of course. Probably the best thing that happened for me was to find like minded enthusiasts through this club. Just remember that people will generally only be helpful if you can behave in a polite manner and most of all don't be arrogant.

Seffy
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Seffy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:11 am

Self-service is fine if you are confident with it, and if you've done it previously. Just check the manual for things like jacking points and other things you need to know regarding maintenance. The manual is really handy for when the time comes to do some maintenance.

Otherwise, get a trusted mechanic to do it and perhaps you can learn the ropes along the way too (if you have a mate that's a mechanic and is willing to teach you). This is imo the best way to go about it if you haven't done it before. I learned how to oil a car this way, but still ended up getting it done by a mechanic because I had to get the car checked anyway for other stuff, plus I didn't have the right tools for it.

Parts-wise (aftermarket filters), lots of people here tend to have mixed opinions but personally I've not had a problem with an aftermarket oil filter.. hell even when I bought the car it was already running on an aftermarket filter. But if you can source an OEM for a good price, you might as well go with that.
Crayon Pop "straight-five engine" dance ftw.

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:31 am

scott_drake wrote:[quote:3fd78f4b15=citris.87][quote:ce8dacce23=scott_drake][/quote:ce8dacce23] How do you think people are supposed to learn you ding bat. [/quote:3fd78f4b15] Dont insult me or call me names, that is breaking the club rules! People should learn the right way, (Go to school, do an apprenticeship and become qualified). or come from a mechanical background (ie parents and friends who are qualified watch over your work and check) where not talking about a $500 car that if somethings breaks ....ohh well itl be right Where talking about a $25,000+ car here that still has warranty!!! and if you dont get that booked stamped, your warranty is pretty much out the window... and most importantly, SAFETY!!!!!! Jack up a car wrong and hop under it, it can land on you and kill you. forget to tighten the sump or filter, it comes off, you blow your engine..ohh well... but you have just caused a 20 car pile up behind you because of the oil that pissed out onto the road forget to tighten wheel nuts proper...you hop onto a freeway..ohh well your wheel comes off at 110km/h you crash into a tree and die forget to tighten a control arm bolt, ohh well you go over a pot hole, arm comes off you loose control and smash into an oncoming truck and die slowly... theres right and wrong ways of learning things! some just learn the hard way

Sorry, how about I call you Scott_Drake, although I think that is more of an insult around here now then a ding bat. You do not seem to get it do you. You think everyone is a retard, they cannot handle the simple task of changing an oil filter.

If this is for a mini service, in between his full service, which I believe it is just an oil change, then there is no reason he should not do it, and it would not affect his warranty, since only the full services are required for warranty (RTFM).

Honestly, if your 'mate' had his oil filter just suddenly start spooring out oil, it was probably some cheap ass ebay knock off or, he knocked it on something, there is a higher chance you would knock your oil filter on a lowered car, then it just unscrewing itself from the car because it was not tightened enough.

Honestly, I did automotive in school, and partially in TAFE for a while, and I can tell you, the first year is really just learning common sense. People already know this, I learned all of that my self working on the car with my dad, he learned from doing it himself, so did I, never did I fail to screw in an oil filter properly... some how, pouring oil all over the road and causing a crash... or maybe I was driving in front of you that day? who knows...

Maybe rather then voicing your opinion on everyone on every thread about every topic, you should learn a thing or two about what you are trying to say. Have you not noticed by now that every thread you touch ends up in a crap storm and is locked?

OP, I am certain you are not an idiot, you have done some research, and hey, you are smart enough to continue your research and even ask a forum for further information. so if this is a half service, then go for it, you will be fine, you know what you are doing. Any of the Oils and Filters mentioned here will be more then fine. Good luck, and happy money savings to you.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:40 am

Would strongly recommend looking at You Tube Videos for DIY repair.

they may not be using CJ lancers and as such the location of things may be different, but the overall principle of the lesson may remain the same.

If you have automotive repair questions put up a post here or flick me a PM. i will do my best to answer.

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:36 pm

I've never serviced the Lancer (warranty, CPS, blah blah), but never even considered anything but a Ryco or whatever the local shop stocks on previous cars. Wouldn't even cross my mind to go and buy an OEM filter.

Come to think of it, I hardly expect the OEM is anything but an unbranded thing from the same factory anyway. So many people seem to think car manufacturers manufacture every nut and bolt :/

Craig
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Craig » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:47 pm

scott_drake wrote: where not talking about a $500 car that if somethings breaks ....ohh well itl be right

Where talking about a $25,000+ car here that still has warranty!!! and if you dont get that booked stamped, your warranty is pretty much out the window... and most importantly, SAFETY!!!!!!

We're not talking about a $500 car that if somethings breaks ....ohh well itl be right

We're talking about a $25,000+ car here that still has warranty!!! and if you dont get that booked stamped, your warranty is pretty much out the window... and most importantly, SAFETY!!!!!!

There all fixed :)

Sorry my OCD kicked in , it's been bugging me all day.

But in all seriousness like seffy said if you feel confident go ahead and do it yourself. :)

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:47 pm

citris.87 wrote:[quote:edcb4c2159=scott_drake][quote:3fd78f4b15=citris.87][quote:ce8dacce23=scott_drake][/quote:ce8dacce23] How do you think people are supposed to learn you ding bat. [/quote:3fd78f4b15] Dont insult me or call me names, that is breaking the club rules! People should learn the right way, (Go to school, do an apprenticeship and become qualified). or come from a mechanical background (ie parents and friends who are qualified watch over your work and check) where not talking about a $500 car that if somethings breaks ....ohh well itl be right Where talking about a $25,000+ car here that still has warranty!!! and if you dont get that booked stamped, your warranty is pretty much out the window... and most importantly, SAFETY!!!!!! Jack up a car wrong and hop under it, it can land on you and kill you. forget to tighten the sump or filter, it comes off, you blow your engine..ohh well... but you have just caused a 20 car pile up behind you because of the oil that pissed out onto the road forget to tighten wheel nuts proper...you hop onto a freeway..ohh well your wheel comes off at 110km/h you crash into a tree and die forget to tighten a control arm bolt, ohh well you go over a pot hole, arm comes off you loose control and smash into an oncoming truck and die slowly... theres right and wrong ways of learning things! some just learn the hard way[/quote:edcb4c2159] Sorry, how about I call you Scott_Drake, although I think that is more of an insult around here now then a ding bat. You do not seem to get it do you. You think everyone is a retard, they cannot handle the simple task of changing an oil filter. If this is for a mini service, in between his full service, which I believe it is just an oil change, then there is no reason he should not do it, and it would not affect his warranty, since only the full services are required for warranty (RTFM). Honestly, if your mate had his oil filter just suddenly start spooring out oil, it was probably some cheap ass ebay knock off or, he knocked it on something, there is a higher chance you would knock your oil filter on a lowered car, then it just unscrewing itself from the car because it was not tightened enough. Honestly, I did automotive in school, and partially in TAFE for a while, and I can tell you, the first year is really just learning common sense. People already know this, I learned all of that my self working on the car with my dad, he learned from doing it himself, so did I, never did I fail to screw in an oil filter properly... some how, pouring oil all over the road and causing a crash... or maybe I was driving in front of you that day? who knows... Maybe rather then voicing your opinion on everyone on every thread about every topic, you should learn a thing or two about what you are trying to say. Have you not noticed by now that every thread you touch ends up in a crap storm and is locked? OP, I am certain you are not an idiot, you have done some research, and hey, you are smart enough to continue your research and even ask a forum for further information. so if this is a half service, then go for it, you will be fine, you know what you are doing. Any of the Oils and Filters mentioned here will be more then fine. Good luck, and happy money savings to you.

firstly

WHAT THE HELL IS A MINI SERVICE!!!!!!??? Really ive never heard of mini service in between full service...and secondly these cars dont need services in between services...a service is a service, an oil change is an oil change PERIOD!!!...really IMO i believe you live under a rock

Yeah i have noticed this since the new members have joined on (such as yourself)...ive been on this forum for a very long time and seen people come and go like yourself, and people who have actually met me know who I am and what im about!!!! its because of people like you on this forum that keep mixing shit up for no reason and accusing without even knowing the facts!

And no my mate did not knock hes oil filter or damage it, the filter housing separated from the threads....how you ask? Well you went to tafe (PFFT Partially BAHAHAHAHHA) so you should know what would cause it to separate...and no it was not a cheap ass ebay knock off filter (probably the kind you buy), and really you are DUMB! how can a lowered evo scrape an oil filter? Have you even seen the location of the oil filter on evos?..my guess is NO..and no my mates evo is not lowered it sits like a TRUCK!

YOU threw the petrol into the fire...

Im telling the og my advice and you come along insulting me, calling me names and insulting my intelligence. PLease do everyone a favour, just STOP!

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:25 pm

Mini Service ? That's the optional intermediate service as shown in the service manual I would think.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:30 pm

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:32 pm

Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR

"Don't back off until you hit something"

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:46 pm

Epic picture Marcus!
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Seffy
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Seffy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:59 pm

scott_drake wrote: YOU threw the petrol into the fire... Im telling the og my advice and you come along insulting me, calling me names and insulting my intelligence. PLease do everyone a favour, just STOP!

AHAHAHAHAHA THIS IS THE FUNNIEST THING I'VE READ.

Intelligence is something you seem to lack.

Anyway, you've been toxic to a few threads yourself. We're just trying to be good people helping someone out and you come in and just killjoy the thread and show how rustled your jimmies are.

Please, do everyone a favour, just stop.

Alright back on topic.

Everyone that isn't scott_drake is pointing you in the right direction. I'd take Daniel's offer and PM him with what you'd like to know, he'll deliver the goods as best he can (i.e. the stuff you need to know). :)
Crayon Pop "straight-five engine" dance ftw.

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:04 pm

rokpapaziz wrote:[img:04dfd36e5f]http://www.clubcj.net/img/images/20140829163011_Mini_Service_1208.jpg[/img:04dfd36e5f]

BAHAHAHA +1 you made my week

Return to “Maintenance”