***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

DIY TC SST. Fluid change????

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

DIY TC SST. Fluid change????

Postby gman90 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi I have read a lot about doing the SST fluid change but have read that after you drain the fluid you should start engine and let it idle for a minute or two with out putting new fluid in this is done to clear as much of the old fluid out before putting fresh oil in is this right or not ???? You then put Fresh oil in put foot on brake and go through all the gears Or would you bring all 4 wheels off the ground and allow wheels to spin through reverse neutral forward and park just need to get it right the first time. Thanks. Gary
Evolution X MR 712 GTP Turbo Upgrade. Pedders Sports Extrema Coil Overs, DBA 5000 Premium 2 piece Brake Rotors Front and Rear Rotors ,OME Black- Out Rear Taillights (Ralliart) Red Floor Illumination. White Line Centre Roll Adjust Kit.
Ecutek Custom Tune. 3in TurboXS. Turbo Back Exhaust.

ScootaX
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ScootaX » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:39 pm

When I did it, we drained it and took the filter out... Tighten up the bolts fill with 7 litres and put the filter in then started it up...

I just followed the evolutionm forum or evox i forgot which one

sl1m
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby sl1m » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:06 pm

after you drain the fluid you should start engine and let it idle for a minute or two with out putting new fluid in

Do not do this.

Follow this step by step guide http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35444

I've done it every year & it is best with 7L back in regardless of what comes out.

Hope that helps :)

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:10 pm

I've never read before that one should start/run the car with no transmission oil in it. In fact, just from a common sense point of view it sounds absurd.

If you bought OEM Diaqueen, you'll have 8 litres. That's ~1 to 1.5 litres extra, that can be put through the fill hole as sort of a flush whilst during the oil change.

Mitsubishi's guide says to flush with mineral oil and to go through each gear for a few minutes (with wheels off the ground), I didn't do this as it was way too much effort and I anticipate 20k max to my next transmission oil change, a bit of the old oil left mixing with new shouldn't cause too much drama.
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57280

Well illustrated guide:
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35444

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby gman90 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:40 pm

Yes, i know it sounded wrong i read it on one of the USA forums??? Does sound strange to run it with no fliud at all in it I will not be doing that ..
I will follow the link that most people go by Gary :D
Last edited by gman90 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evolution X MR 712 GTP Turbo Upgrade. Pedders Sports Extrema Coil Overs, DBA 5000 Premium 2 piece Brake Rotors Front and Rear Rotors ,OME Black- Out Rear Taillights (Ralliart) Red Floor Illumination. White Line Centre Roll Adjust Kit.

Ecutek Custom Tune. 3in TurboXS. Turbo Back Exhaust.

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:41 am

i can understand why that theory of starting the car to get the extra fluid out of the lines. this process is done on some older vehicles where the return line from the Trans Cooler is disconnected and fluid is pumped out as some new fluid is added in. but on a new car like a evo or RA with these advanced transmissions its asking for a lot of trouble
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

ScootaX
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ScootaX » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:34 am

Yeah couldn't think why you start your car with no sst fluid, you wouldn't do it with no engine oil...

Return to “Maintenance”