***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

7500km Service

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Who did your 7500km intermittent service?

Poll ended at Fri May 22, 2009 1:55 pm

Mitsubishi
63%
Garage (e.g. K-Mart Auto)
No votes
DIY
38%

Total votes: 8

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri May 15, 2009 7:42 pm

If you can't undo it by hand and you don't want to fork out for a filter wrench (and its the small size one btw) just hammer a screw driver through it and use that :D

Oh it's a real prick to get a filter tool in there too. Well all the ones I've tried have be haha

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Fri May 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Use a claw type filter wrench on the CJ!!

Or do as SIR-VRX said and then use K&N filter which have a 1 inch nut on the end for getting them off!!

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Fri May 15, 2009 10:45 pm

DavidAnthony wrote:Does anyone know how to set the service reminder back one instead of forward?

Follow the steps in the DIY thread to change the service schedule plan to anything but AUS. Follow the procedure again and change it back to AUS. It will reset any services you accidentally cleared....

nutterbug
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby nutterbug » Sun May 17, 2009 8:17 pm

I wasn't aware that the car required a 7500 service. The service manual only reccomends it if it is driven under severe conditions?
8, It's a Melbourne record :P

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Sun May 17, 2009 8:52 pm

You dont have to but I personally feel that 15,000km is too long to be running on the same oil. Maybe acceptable if you drove mostly freeway, arent a lead foot and use a synthetic oil. Otherwise if you are a lead foot or do alot of city driving I think it should be every 7,500km and even still I wont touch anything other than synthetic oil.

By the time i get all my gear out the car jacked up its only an hour or two job and $60 for oil and filter which ain't too bad....

Superintendent Chalmers
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Superintendent Chalmers » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:24 pm

Just had 7500km service at local Mitsu Dealer today and noticed a few things. Found out that this dealership doesn't use crappy oil and filters for some cars.

THE UPSIDES: They used Castrol Edge 0W-40 (fully synthetic) oil and a K&N Oil filter for my service. I didn't ask for any special oil but they said it was standard for all Ralliart model cars that they service. (I was going to buy some Nulon Fully Synthetic oil that Ryan_C uses but never got around to getting it on the weekend. I must say "WOW" what a difference to not only the performance but the sound of the intake and turbo spooling. It sounds meaner and definitely makes a difference.

THE DOWNSIDE: $200 is quite a lot for an oil change but the oil and filter cost $118 together, but all in all I will continue to use this oil/filter combo for all my future services.

One more thing. I also got them to do the recall to the brake valve. It said on the mail notice that it wasn't suppose to cost anything, but they charged me $14 for "Work Materials". Did I just get Jibbed?????

Cottonfoot
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Cottonfoot » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:33 pm

My car was recalled for the brake valve thingy aswell but they didn't charge me anything to do it, unless it's different for a Ralliart, more difficult maybe :? Still can't see why you should have to pay anything for a fault in their product that originated from the factory.

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:37 pm

They shouldn't have charged you a thing for the recall.

Good to see they used a K&N oil filter on the car. Not sure if oil + filter is worth $118 - I guess they put their margin into that figure though.

I'm at 6600km now (not the 7000 I thought!) so I've got 900km before I will change the oil - not sure I'd pay someone $200 to do it when it will take 30mins at most to do myself.

Superintendent Chalmers
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Superintendent Chalmers » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:43 pm

$88 for the oil and $30 for the filter. Don't know anything mechanical about cars and didn't want to start in a $45000 machine. :lol: I would go enquire about the $14, but will cost about $10 in fuel to do so (driving angry) so I will let it slide because they did do an awesome job otherwise!
Thanks people.

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:45 pm

Changing oil is basic, everyone should know how to do it. Much like changing a tyre. Different strokes for different folks though :)

Superintendent Chalmers
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Superintendent Chalmers » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:48 pm

Tyres: YES
Brakes: YES
Battery: YES
Anything else: NO
I'm not ashamed of this, but really don't have much care-factor for the other things. Better to leave it to someone that does...Or an apprentice in a dealership who does it for 6 bucks an hour.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:52 pm

I better know how to most things as my dad is an qualified Mechanic and an EX tafe teacer in Auto, lol

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:58 pm

The $14 might not be related to the recall.

Workshop Materials usually covers misc bits they use. Like sump plug washers, grease, rags, oil and filter disposal.

Superintendent Chalmers
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Superintendent Chalmers » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:09 pm

I thought that too, but it was apart of Job 2. Both jobs are on the one bill but separated over each page. It was definitely part of the recall charge.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:23 pm

Azza wrote:Tyres: YES
Brakes: YES
Battery: YES
Anything else: NO
I'm not ashamed of this, but really don't have much care-factor for the other things. Better to leave it to someone that does...Or an apprentice in a dealership who does it for 6 bucks an hour.

You'd do work on your brakes but wouldnt change the oil???

Return to “Maintenance”