***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

White Smoke Coming Out of Vents??!

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

yuj1n
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

White Smoke Coming Out of Vents??!

Postby yuj1n » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:40 pm

Hey everybody just had an issue with my cj this morning. After going out for a drive as i was parking in the garage whole bunch of white smoke started coming out of the middle aircon vents.

Also at the same time i noticed that my stock headunit display stopped working. The radio/music still works but it nothing comes up on the screen.
So I've called up Mitsubishi and its been put into have a look. Probs won't get it back until Friday.

Any ideas on what it might be? or has anyone experienced anything similar. and also what mitsubishi will most likely do I have the balance of warranty still.

thanks everybody

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:46 pm

Well... You can get kind of a mist with the aircon on, but if your head unit cut out at the same time then thats concerning.

If its the aircon it usually dissipates straight after coming out of the vent...

Do your head unit buttons still work? From memory the screen and buttons all go through a little ribbon cable... If they're both not working I'd say the plug has probably come loose, if just the screen isn't working I'd say its probably stuffed. :P

If you're not under warranty anymore and you need a new one, you'll probably be able to get one off a member here for pretty cheap instead of whatever Mitsubishi would charge you.

Which head unit do you have? Theres the standard one, the 6-stacker, the small touch screen, or the big MMCS touch screen.

yuj1n
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby yuj1n » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Dire wrote:Well... You can get kind of a mist with the aircon on, but if your head unit cut out at the same time then thats concerning. If its the aircon it usually dissipates straight after coming out of the vent... Do your head unit buttons still work? From memory the screen and buttons all go through a little ribbon cable... If theyre both not working Id say the plug has probably come loose, if just the screen isnt working Id say its probably stuffed. :P If youre not under warranty anymore and you need a new one, youll probably be able to get one off a member here for pretty cheap instead of whatever Mitsubishi would charge you. Which head unit do you have? Theres the standard one, the 6-stacker, the small touch screen, or the big MMCS touch screen.

At the time I didn't have my air-con running I had the windows down. The smoke that came out was definitely thicker than a mist and it had a burnt smell. Yea the buttons still work i managed to change it from aux/fm and switch it on and off just no display. The unit is the standard 6-stacker and I've got warranty, shouldn't be an issue to fi under warranty?

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:11 pm

TrojanHorse wrote:I know someone thats selling a six stacker here in SA... ;)
that would be me lol , and its in mint condition i open to offers lol :P
1998 MR lancer
2009 CJ lancer sportback
2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup
2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

Craker
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Craker » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:20 pm

If it had a that burnt electrical smell I'd definitely say something has cooked. If your car is a 2010 and haven't done 130000 I would imagine it should be covered by warranty.
2011 lancer ralliart sportback
192kw + 370nm at wheels virtual dyno by boostin juice tuning
Hyperflow intercooler, gfb respons bov , gs 3 port
ultimate racing uicp and licp, hyperflow cat back + hi flow cat
MCA blue coilovers and whiteline sway bars
T3 rotors and ds performance pads
enkei sc 22 wheels

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:42 pm

Yep, shes borked then.

Hopefully its just the stereo then, not a wiring harness or something :)

Fitter
Club Vendor
Club Vendor

Postby Fitter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:19 pm

i had it as well the other week in the rain.. turned demister on and smoke from all front vents...

demist off, windows down a little... no more smoke
CLUB CJ CAR AUDIO VENDOR
Owner and Builder of Australia's LOUDEST STREET LEGAL Lancer 147.5dB

2013 WORLD TITLE
2012 QLD State Champion
2008 Australian Champion

SchumieFan
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby SchumieFan » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:46 pm

From memory the stereo is only covered by a 12 month warranty from the manufacturer as it is not built by Mitsubishi

debonaire
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby debonaire » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:24 am

Half the parts on any make of car aren't built by the manufacturer, they're still covered by warranty. Most manufacturers don't even make their own transmissions.

BUZZ_QWERTY
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BUZZ_QWERTY » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:26 am

Fitter wrote:i had it as well the other week in the rain.. turned demister on and smoke from all front vents... demist off, windows down a little... no more smoke

I think you will probably find that is just mist due to condensation because of all the moisture in the air... sounds like Yujin might have fried something

Stealthmatt
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Stealthmatt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:03 pm

update?

yuj1n
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby yuj1n » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Dealer replaced the 6 stacker fascia for me. The fascia short-circuited for some reason. All good now! probs wanna upgrade to double din sometime haha

Return to “Maintenance”