***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Rattling Noise I think

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

raidmaster212
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Rattling Noise I think

Postby raidmaster212 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:10 pm

Now I originally posted this in clubralliart.com and they forwarded me to this website because there are some reputable tuners in Australia. Im from sydney but anyway ill explain the problem etc.

I got my Ralliart 2009 MY10 in october last year however My Ralliart just started making this rattling noise (for lack of a better description) coming from the engine bay. Im pretty sure it doesnt immediately occur from a cold start cos i get up for work at 4:30 am and its pretty cold then and only after about a minute or so it makes these rattling noises ill upload a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3iO89GF ... e=youtu.be

at about 0:09 seconds and again at 0:34 can u hear it ? you'll see the revs pointer flicker from 2000-1400 revs when it makes this sound . So i took it to the mitsubishi service centre who serviced it for the 30,000 km back in december and told them u guys serviced this car why is it making this noise etc. and he said leave the car with us we'll check it out and so i did. i went past again today and he said that the oil in the transmission "isn't looking too good" (his words) and that they didnt pick up on it last time because they dont check for that till the 45000km service. He said its gonna cost $1200 to fix. he said paying the $1200 is the next step and IF the problem still persists then mitsubishi will step in and ill get reimbursed. im the second owner of the vehicle but i have the service history and the guy at the service centre said i should be ok for warranty IF paying the 1200$ doesnt fix the problem. im hoping this problem isnt as bad as he's making it seem. and he said i could take the car and think about it and that if i decided to see another mechanic to repair the problem or whatever that it wouldnt work in my favour if i ever wanted to claim warranty in the future .

ive searched briefly on these forums and it seems other people have some rattling problems also with their RA's but the situation doesnt seem exactly like mine so i thought id post here. i heard from someone on clubralliart.com that on clubcj theres some reputable tuners. anyone willing to help me out with checking my car out ?

i wish i knew enough about this stuff to be able to handle it myself but i dont so thats why im here. Does anyone know what could be the cause of the problem? or if changing the transmission oil will help? if its actually worth $1200. i also read that using any other oil besides the one the mitsu mechanics would use (i assume diaqueen? ) that itd void warranty.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:46 pm

Your mechanic is talking rubbish. Ask them what they think is wrong with the oil, and have they checked it? Service book states that the sst oil change us not till 90k, not 45k and checking it is not in the service manual.

If your mech says yes, there may be an issue then it becomes warranty. This 'pay and if there is a fault mits will reimburse' is ball%&#&

I would find a better dealership
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03
- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)
- Lowered on Kings
- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP
- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system
- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Needing a significantly premature oil change should come under warranty, whether it fixes the problem or not.

raidmaster212
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby raidmaster212 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:37 pm

wow thanks guys for shedding a bit of light on this stuff. well in case anyone is wondering the service place i was at was in chullora. see thats what i said i was pretty sure it should all be covered under warranty the car is still young i dont get it. but he insisted that we couldnt go further in any repairs until i pay $1200 . yeah after what youve said im doubting this dealership but can anyone suggest any reputable ones that do oil changes AND put new filters ive heard cases where they dont do it cos its not mandatory or some sh**.

when you say show the video to "them" do u mean another dealership once i find one? cos when i initially took my RA in i insisted that the mechanic get in the car with me and i showed him. and the guy could barely speak english and hes like "oh no good no good" before referring me to the guy at the front desk who started telling me oh could be a gear box which costs 8-9k and if we have to get it from japan could take weeks and im like sh** it cant be that severe of an issue.

raidmaster212
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby raidmaster212 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:19 pm

yeh i know getting a refund wouldnt be easy so im not paying a cent to these guys unless i go to another mitsu service centre and they give me their opinion. any suggestions as to what dealer to go to? only reason i went to chullora is because its close to me in greenacre. (NSW)

anyone heard of problems from parramatta mitsubishi or penrith? i saw a thread about blacktown mitsu that apparently did an oil change without a new filter.

BR14AN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BR14AN » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:34 pm

I know a few of the guys at alto pennant hills service centre, they're decent

BR14AN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BR14AN » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:35 pm

If you're going to head to pennant hills let me know when you're booked in and ill give my friends the heads up to take an extra look at your car

raidmaster212
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby raidmaster212 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:53 pm

thanks Brian pennant hills isnt that long of a trip what else can u tell me about them? and like Ken said have they got authorisation ? because i dont want them to turn around and ask me to pay something extra for checking the car out or whatever. best case scenario is they can just claim it all on warranty ive got all the service history papers.

so make sure i have direct contact to the person who has checked the car to pass their name onto MMA? and why would u say to make sure battery cover and red terminal cover is installed?

raidmaster212
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby raidmaster212 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:47 am

Just an Update:

dropped off my RA at northshore mitsubishi .. turns out its a clutch/gear slipping problem which causes a rattling noise.

will keep you guys posted. thanks for the advice

parralegend
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby parralegend » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:34 pm

Did you get a update on this? I get this condition pretty much all the time if im gliding along in 6th gear at low rev's/60-70kms a hour, I would have thought it's just the stupid sst programing, it happens regardless in sport/normal although i noticed you had yours in auto/normal.

I'm certain this has been the case ever since I bought the car.

Return to “Maintenance”