***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Maintenance over 5 months (While out of the country)

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

cj_sx_2011
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby cj_sx_2011 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:38 pm

if your going away for that long and if no one will drive it at all while you gone, you should get one of ur family members to start it at least twice a week for about 5 mins each time, and take it for a drive around the block twice a week, should be all good.

thats what i done with my old car, and it was fine.

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:44 pm

i would just add a fuel stabilizer to the tank to stop the fuel going off, and disconnect the battery from the car
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

robert43
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby robert43 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:50 pm

Also some people put the car on blocks to make the tyres not touch the ground to stop flat spots which can happen with tyres with weight on them not moved for some time.
I would see if you can get some one to run the motor 10 mins once a week & not too much fuel in the tank as it will go off or as been said before some fuel additive as fuel will go off.
When you get back I would flush the fuel

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:55 pm

Why don't you just get your dad to drive it to work once a week / fortnight. That will be enough.

robert43
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby robert43 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:38 pm

LZY_EYE wrote:Why dont you just get your dad to drive it to work once a week / fortnight. That will be enough.

Thats what I do with my daughters car she has untill she gets here licence which she is going for in 10 days time

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:11 am

also depending on when it was last done, it might be a good idea to have the fluids changed when you get back, especially the brake fluid as it absorbs water and can cause poor braking and rusted brake lines. fresh oil should be ok in a engine for 12 months with out use but should be inspected prior to use for any signs of it breaking down.

i would also highly recommend running through a injector cleaner on your return

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:21 am

Get a battery fighter for the battery...I think thats what they are called. SUpercheap have them.
They look like a power supply that you plug into a normal wall socket and come with 2 sets of cables...one with aligator style clips and a set of hardwired ones. I have the hardwire ones on mine and the connector cable tied near the foglights so i dont even have to open the bonnet to connect it. Its not a battery chager...it just keeps your battery topped up!..you will see the light changing from green to red to let you know wether its putting charge into the battery or just on stand by....it continually monitors the battery charge so it wont stuff your battery.
I use one on my off road campers as well...best little things i ever bought.
and...ther only about $39 bucks from supercheap or autobarns

Return to “Maintenance”