***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Ralliart engine oil

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:26 pm

I thought mobil 1 was stock in a 5w30. I wouldnt go 0w40 in a mobil 1, ive had good success with penrite 5w50 and 0w60

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:03 pm

0W-40 is ideal for very cold conditions. Mitsu uses 5W-30 full synthetic for RAs, and I myself am sticking to this grade.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:25 pm

0w has other uses too other than just cold conditions. the difference between a 5w40 and 0w40 is very minimal and the oil acts very much the same. the last number in the oil is the burn rate and plays a part in how much heat and strain the oil can take before it breaks down. the first number is the weight of the oil at cold start (first thing in the morning when you turn the key), it is important not to use too thick of an oil as it will take longer to get to the top of the head.

generally speaking a 0-40 is fine in a engine that asks for 5w40, but between the two the 0w40 is the higher grade oil, hence why the cost of 0w40 is higher than 5w40
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:35 pm

My RA has always been serviced at a Mitsubishi Dealership. They use Havoline Full Synth 5w40 at least that's what is on the service description. Tell you what though, the killer is the SST fluid, that stuff is expensive

ijustatecurry
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ijustatecurry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:10 pm

So long as its fully synthetic the minor difference in viscosity won't hurt unless you're alpine based, then you mite want the 0w
All bleeding stops eventually!

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Parramatta Mitsu dealer uses Havoline too. Best sounding oil to date. Castrol Magnatec Pro (full syn 5W40) used by Blacktown Mitsu, and Mobil 1 0w-40 - that I've used in the past have both caused the engine to sound harsh at higher RPM ranges. This Havoline Syn 5W-40 smooths out the engine note close to redline. Of course in everyday sensible driving it should make no difference and any synthetic will provide more than adequate protection.

Also to note: altho the manual calls for 5w-30 spec, it seems most of the Ralliart servicing dealers choose a 40 weight oil - as turbo engines tend to have fuel dilution issues (especially high pressure turbos such as these Mitsubishis) which lowers the viscocity of engine oil, plus it's 'engine abuse protection' at the cost of fuel consumption - minimising potential warranty claims - same reason the car is tuned to run so rich at stock.

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:32 am

5w40 is better suited to Australian conditions as well. there are different temp ranges that each oil is best suited too. a 5W30 is good for 0*c to around 35*C were a 5w40 is suited from 0*c to 45*C depending on the application. here in Australia we tend to see 40*C + climates. the type of driving the car mainly does should also be taken into account. if the car does mainly short distance and city runs a thinner oil will provide better fuel economy, but if the car constantly does long distance drives on a highway a slightly thicker oil is better.

there is a lot of factors to take into account with picking an oil, for a average driver the suggested oil is better off but there are other options and no one oil is correct for everyone. if you really want to get the perfect oil for your conditions of driving there is a lot of research that you can read up on to help you decide.

Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

whitenight
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby whitenight » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:20 pm

i got my evo serviced the other day and they used a 15w-50

a far cry from the 5w-40 recomendations

as soon as i get a chance i'll be dumping that oil and useing the penrite sin 0w-50 extra 10

ScootaX
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ScootaX » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 pm

5w - 30 royal purple and that stuff runs a treat. I like it dont know what other people think but its best ive used

Rain
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Rain » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:43 pm

Just thought I'd share my recent servicing experience with Chadstone mitsubishi in Melbourne.

Took my Evo X in for its 37500kms service a few days ago, and when I picked the car up later that day, I noticed that they'd used Castrol Magnatec 5w-30. Asked them the question as to why the'd use an average oil in a performance car and their response was a predicted.

According to them, castrol magnatec is that is available on tap! and is also recommended for the whole lancer range including the ralliart and the Evo X. I didn't wanna talk to them any furhter, so I bought a new oil filter and a can of Martini Racing Sint RT 0w-40 oil on the way home. I have just checked the castrol website and the only oil they recommend for the Evo X is the Castrol Edge fully synthetic motor oil. Only took it to the dealership this time because of the recall work (which they didn't do anyway) and I am sure that I'd never return there for any servicing again.

Cheers.

Return to “Maintenance”