***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Strange Sound Whilst Applying the Brakes

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Strange Sound Whilst Applying the Brakes

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:26 pm

Hey Lancer Fans,

Just curious to see if any of you guys have ever experienced this before. When I come to a stop light and apply the break I get a sound which sounds like it comes from the rear.

The sound is like a gravel grinding type of noise and goes away once vehicle comes to a stop. Not sure how else to describe this.

Anyways keen to hear if anyone else had this and figured out what it is. I told mitsubishi about it at my last service but said they checked the brakes and everything is "normal".

Strange indeed.

Cheers

Ozimumbles
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Ozimumbles » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Funny you should say this, my 09 RA is making the same kind of noise. Only does it when coming to a stop in first or just creeping in first. Going o dealer on Thursday. Will let u know if they figure out what it is...

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:17 pm

happens on my 2010 Activ too.
same fault.
Creeping in first (or in Drive) at incredibly low speeds, near idle revs.
I can't replicate the fault 100% of the time though

shamoo
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby shamoo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:14 pm

might just be the brake pads. when i had my last service (75,000km) i had a bit of a chat with the mitsi service dude. asked him bout my brakes, like if they need replacing anytime soon and he said i still have ages to go on them. he said that the lancers have really hard brakes, and will last for ages, but they are very noisy. the noise has something to do with what the pads are made of to make them last for ages.
im not too sure of the noise u guys are hearing but i know if its really cold my brakes are quite squeaky, when i first start driving, especially in reverse. which from what i have been told is normal.
"A city without trees isn't fit for a dog!" Trees For Life

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Hmm, I've only done 35,000 kms so far on the factory pads.
I have to reverse every day to get out of my driveway, I do notice that squeaky sound when the brakes are cold (especially from the rear), but i think we are talking about another issue entirely.
The fault occurs when brakes\engine is at both cold and normal operating temperature for me at least, exactly the same sound.

If i get it on the SA cruise i might see if my microphone can record it from inside the cabin (doubt it will be that sensitive) otherwise if we get bored waiting in the car park, maybe we can go for a short spin and hopefully the fault can be replicated.

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:23 pm

I've only got 16,000km on mine and have never driven the car hard with the need to wear out the brake pads that bad.

Strange indeed. Would be good to hear how Ozimumbles goes at the dealership. When I asked I was replied everything is ok.

Ozimumbles
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Ozimumbles » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:58 pm

Latino_Ralliart wrote:Ive only got 16,000km on mine and have never driven the car hard with the need to wear out the brake pads that bad. Strange indeed. Would be good to hear how Ozimumbles goes at the dealership. When I asked I was replied everything is ok.

Well my RA went into the dealer Monday. They have told me that it has something to do with the fly wheel and that it needs to be replaced. Going back in next week as its a two day job to fix. Hope this helps *doh*

Latino_Ralliart
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Latino_Ralliart » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:47 pm

lol Are you serious!!!!

That is the last thing I would have thought of. I got my car serviced last week and told them about it and surprisingly its now stopped.

I think your noise would be different to what I Was talking too.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:07 pm

I'll ask the obvious question :P Its not just rusty rotors is it?

tuf-vrx
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby tuf-vrx » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:15 pm

easy fix,

this is how i did it had the problem a while ago.

Tools needed: Wheel brace, jack, Hammer

step 1 remove wheel
step 2 bash on the shield behind the disc with hammer, you might see rocks fall out
step 3 replace wheel
step 4 have a coffee.

i am not a mechanic, i am a computer technician, but this worked for me.

Cammo00
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Cammo00 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:00 pm

I have the same Problem too but
Love That Car. (cj-blue)

Cammo00
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Cammo00 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Only happens when I first get in it in the morning when it's not been used. I find the when it does it the brake work more harasser, really grabs the discs don't know what the cause is but if you find out let me know has I like to stop mine too :)
Love That Car. (cj-blue)

Mark14
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Mark14 » Wed May 13, 2015 11:58 pm

Has anyone actually solved this problem? This problem occurs to both mine and my sister's Lancers.
We notice that when in drive and have the brakes applied at idle there is a squeaking noise from the engine or something. I only just noticed it on my car today, and she's had the problem for about 2 months now.
It's pretty concerning considering my Lancer ES Sport is only 6 months old and her ES Sport is just under a year old.
She's taken hers to the Lander dealer in Prospect, NSW twice and they couldn't find anything wrong with the car. It's really annoying and concerning having a problem as we bought both of our cars brand new. Anyone with any insight on the problem would be a big help.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:29 am

Don't remember hearing this on mine, its got about 90k on it now and as far as I know still on its original brakes but I've only had the car 6 months so the previous owner could have had them serviced in the first 5 years of it's life.

How long can we expect the brakes to last before we need new pads or discs?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Return to “Maintenance”