***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

15K/ 1 Year service need to replace Wiper blades?

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

MitLan
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

15K/ 1 Year service need to replace Wiper blades?

Postby MitLan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:36 pm

Just completed 1st year service from Mitsubishi. During the service, they rang me and wants me to replace wiper blades($50) and rotate Tyres($44)?

Wiper blades should last for few years. I personally don't think need to replace. What you think??!!?!?!??!?

As for tyres I can rotate it myself!

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:38 pm

That's just a money making move.

For A$50, you can go to Autobarn and buy your own blades.
And you can get your tyre rotated at any tyre shop for less than that.

Which dealership mechanic wanted to charge you this?
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

MitLan
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MitLan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:40 pm

Eastside Mitsubishi. I am sure wiper blades still good condition.

MitLan
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MitLan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:41 pm

I can rotate tyres myself with no hassle. Maybe need to do wheel alignment and balance.

pjw1963
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby pjw1963 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:33 pm

Rotate wheels is part of service should be no eatra charge

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:39 pm

MitLan wrote:Eastside Mitsubishi. I am sure wiper blades still good condition.

Nothing new. You won't believe just how much BAD press those boys have had.

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:54 pm

Although I service my car at Mitsubishi, I'm really starting to dis trust them, they never tell me how much brake pad I have left in % terms, and now I'm starting to get a bit of shudder when I brake at freeway speeds. I'm not even convinced they even take my wheels off. Wiper blades still should be ok unless if they have been turned on a dry windscreen which can wear the rubber. It's handy to do a tyre ritati

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:59 pm

Handy to do a tyre rotation I
Meant to say. I recently visited a local tyre shop, and in there opinion, if you have directional tyres, and need rotating, it's not a matter of putting fronts to the back etc, they recommend taking the tyre off the actual rim and changing them over to the other side. That's due to the tyre load being placed in the front left from going around roundabouts etc. Top tyres at Blacktown will confirm this :)

blade888
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blade888 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:02 pm

The shudder with braking at highway speeds are slightly warped disk rotors. Happens over time, just get them machined.

As for wiper blades, yea that's dicey as, unless your wipers have seen a lot of dirt and grit while wiping and the car gets left under the sun a lot, then it's feasible but still only 1 year?!
Sportback VR/GReddy Spectrum Elite/Advanti Medusa/K&N High-Flow Performance Panel Filter/Cusco Racing Braces

Gleno
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Gleno » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:10 pm

Nick in your opinion should Mitsubishi be checking to see if the discs are warped?? Or is that something I have to mention to them upon servicing the car?? If I were to get the disc machined,I may as well get new pads as well??

cj_sx_2011
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby cj_sx_2011 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:20 pm

glen, mitsubishi are weird, i went to mitsubishi and asked bout my brakes and a noise from the rear left, and they didnt give me an answer on what i asked, just said its everything on your car is ok, and then they said they couldnt hear any noises coz of my exhaust, so they contradicted themselfs.

and i dont think theyve taken my tyres off to rotate coz i have a nail in one of my tyres and if they looked at my tyres wearing evenly or not, they would of see it.

so its not just the mitsubishi you went to mate.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:38 pm

This has to stop.
None of you went to Mitsubishi Australia.
You went to a dealership. They're NOT Mitsubishi. Not even Mitsubishi Australia.

And when you're the rep of some company and make very little profit off the car in a very competitive car market, service is the only way to make it up.

Still there are some dicks in the dealership mechanic group.

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:39 pm

Wipers are around $10 from Supercheap (yes you can get dearer ones but whatever) and even I can put them on. I replaced mine on my old Mazda 121, my eldests on the old Celica and my father in laws on the Peugeot. The Celica and the Peugeot have wipers on the back as well. And yes they are all still on there :P

Rotating tyres.....well my tyre place rotates for life for nothing. Mitsu is a rip off.

feral
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby feral » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:53 pm

If you don't tell about a brake shudder its not something that's visible without checking with a dial gauge or test driving on freeway, I'm sure you don't want to pay an extra 1/2 hour labour every service for them to check what you could tell them. I think it's only warranty under 20k. The up selling happens every where, advisors get about $5 for each one and managers expect it. It's your car, you decide what you want done. There is no time allocated to balance wheels in a service, tyre shops or smaller workshops will always do it cheaper due to lower overheads. Where I work about 50% of staff in service is non productive.

Return to “Maintenance”