***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Clutch issues

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Clutch issues

Postby spunkybob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi Guys,

had some issues with my manual ES , not going into gear properly, then was not able to put into geat at all and had to call road side assistance and they towed it to dealer.

They looked at it and said clutch was fused into the flywheel due to water and is not warranty.

Anyway they unfused it, said I had to pay $33 and was on my way.
3k's down road its exactly the same so I took it to my mechanic (very slowly) and he said it's deffinately not the clutch itself.

So its at my mechanics and he is going to look at it.

Basically I want to know if anyone has had an issue like this before he starts pulling things apart to save time/money.
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:45 pm

*EDIT*

I thought you said how DID I drive it :), I drive it like a car, sometimes like my mum and other times like I stole it, its done 126,000K's and been 100% until yesterday. For the last 8 months since ive had a GF I drive it like a normal person or she beats me (honest I have bruises)

Was able to put in 2nd/3rd gear and drive very slowly (my own mechanic is only about 10k's from dealer, not even that)

It wasnt completely fused, but when I got to my mechanic he took it around the block and by the time we got back to shop it was propper stuffed like yesterday.

So now its sitting on a hoist :/

Mitsubishi is BS... i drive it every day so there is not possible to them to fuse together due to water... They didnt even drop the gearbox and have a look... they called me at 8:40 am and they open at 8. Takes me longer then that to take a dump.

Miss Aussie
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Miss Aussie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:06 pm

This worries me.
My 2011 VRX isn't always going into 3rd. Takes a bit of a fight and tonight wouldn't go into 2nd.
Only got 6k on the clock.
Mitsubishi aren't playing ball with this?

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:19 pm

Don't think they are... without even looking they said "new clutch, new flywheel and labour... $1800"

They assured me it was working and I went on my way.. then the ^^ happened strait after so I'm getting a real mechanic to look at it (Who is also my brother in law) and will be able to tell me if its warranty or not (based on what is broken)

feral
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby feral » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:19 pm

126,000 k, no way would it be warranty and a part defect would show up way before that. At 6,000 k should be warranty but you can soon tell once the gearbox comes out and clutch is worn and flywheel and pressure plate are blue with hot spots is a driver issue

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:20 pm

Miss Aussie wrote:This worries me. My 2011 VRX isnt always going into 3rd. Takes a bit of a fight and tonight wouldnt go into 2nd. Only got 6k on the clock. Mitsubishi arent playing ball with this?

At only 6k they have to fix it, otherwise they are as dodgy as a fat kid trying to convince his mum he didnt eat the last cupcake.

Miss Aussie
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Miss Aussie » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:25 pm

spunkybob wrote:[quote:4bdfdc8537=Miss Aussie]This worries me. My 2011 VRX isnt always going into 3rd. Takes a bit of a fight and tonight wouldnt go into 2nd. Only got 6k on the clock. Mitsubishi arent playing ball with this?[/quote:4bdfdc8537] At only 6k they have to fix it, otherwise they are as dodgy as a fat kid trying to convince his mum he didnt eat the last cupcake.

Haha, like that one.
Might ring them on the weekend and ask for some advice :)

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:26 pm

feral wrote:126,000 k, no way would it be warranty and a part defect would show up way before that. At 6,000 k should be warranty but you can soon tell once the gearbox comes out and clutch is worn and flywheel and pressure plate are blue with hot spots is a driver issue

My mechanic thinks master cylindar is stuffed which would be covered under warranty as its not a wear and tear item.

Once the gearbox comes out we will know anyways :)

feral
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby feral » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:26 pm

It's easy to see if it's worn and there is no sticking in clutch plate or fork it's owner fault, we get a few of them

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:45 pm

I miss my Toyora Soarer... 300RWHP and clutch/gearbox was bulletproof. *Sigh*

Not to mention my 89 Nissan Pulsar did 460,000K's and clutch was never replaced and was perfect.

Infact this is the only car I have ever had an issue with out of the 5 cars I've owned and this is the only one I brought from new and didnt do my own servicing.

*Double sigh*

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:48 pm

Feral, do you work for Mitsubishi?
If so, and you have seen this issue before (I'ts not a warn clutch) do you know what was done to fix it?

feral
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby feral » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:01 pm

Yeah mitsu and a few other brands sounds like it's worn, if it engages high or slipping under load it's usually worn. Can't see how they said due to water unless you said so. Mostly clutch plate wears then the dust builds up in bellhousing and release bearing sticks which is common on fwd

feral
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby feral » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:04 pm

Cars with short through clutches

Return to “Maintenance”