***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Different brands of engine oils

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tuna.toast
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Different brands of engine oils

Postby tuna.toast » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:44 pm

Hello all, first post here so prepare your pitchforks for what I'm about to ask (also please note that English isn't my mother language)

So yesterday I hit 269k kms (nice) on my 2008 1.5 Lancer sedan, and for the last couple of months I've noticed that she's eating some oil.. about 1L per 1000 kms. I have always been told that it's quite normal for engines with such mileage to devour so much oil or even much more than that, and I would definitely like to look into that issue but I'm having trouble finding a mechanic who would want to do anything with my car since here in Slovakia most people driver VW group cars.

Most of the time I do long trips with my Lancer, like a few hundred kilometres each day, and some days even more than 500 kilometres.. well and sometimes they sell all kinds of different brands of oils at the gas stations on the other side of the country so my question is whether or not it's gonna be a problem for my engine at this point if I'll pour a different brand of oil in it, considering the mileage.

Also should I stick with 10W40 or change that too?

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Different brands of engine oils

Postby lancerdarryl » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:26 pm

At 269k and burning oil anyway it won’t matter at all what brand of oil you put it in,just stick with 10w40.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

tuna.toast
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby tuna.toast » Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:49 pm

lancerdarryl wrote:At 269k and burning oil anyway it won’t matter at all what brand of oil you put it in,just stick with 10w40.

Thank you.

Also I heard that most oil here is the same, just rebranded so that they can ask for more money for the "better" brands, so that always made it extra difficult for me to choose what to buy. Although who knows if it's true or just something that people say.

awood
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby awood » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:16 am

Just keep a 4 liter bottle of your favorite oil brand in your boot.
Pick them up in the bigger car parts shops when there on special.
Also , welcome mate , always good to see a new member on here.

Mars1811
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Mars1811 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:46 pm

With most requirements for oil companies to conform to standards (SAE for example) pretty much anything will be safe to use, the rest is marketing.
Unless you're using a bleeding-edge high performance engine, it doesn't really matter.
Especially if you're using it at a high rate, any extra money you spend for "premium" oil will literally just come right out your tailpipe.
You can consider using thicker oil, it'll possibly reduce the rate of consumption, but you might find it harder to start, and you might use more fuel. I'd just stick to the same recommended grade.
2011 VRX Sportback

Message me on Discord: Mars#0420
If in doubt, rev it out!

tuna.toast
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby tuna.toast » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:05 pm

awood wrote:Just keep a 4 liter bottle of your favorite oil brand in your boot.
Pick them up in the bigger car parts shops when there on special.
Also , welcome mate , always good to see a new member on here.

Good idea, I might do that although my car is usually full of people or stuff :D

good to be here

tuna.toast
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby tuna.toast » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:06 pm

Mars1811 wrote:With most requirements for oil companies to conform to standards (SAE for example) pretty much anything will be safe to use, the rest is marketing.
Unless you're using a bleeding-edge high performance engine, it doesn't really matter.
Especially if you're using it at a high rate, any extra money you spend for "premium" oil will literally just come right out your tailpipe.
You can consider using thicker oil, it'll possibly reduce the rate of consumption, but you might find it harder to start, and you might use more fuel. I'd just stick to the same recommended grade.

Just marketing, my thoughts exactly.

Return to “Maintenance”