***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Quiet tyres

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

TheOtherLeft
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Quiet tyres

Postby TheOtherLeft » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi all,

I'm after a new set of tyres to replace my Mitsi-supplied Dunlop SP Sport 270 in 215/65R16. I'm up to 51,000km and nearly at the wear indicators so far which is a pretty good run.

What quite tyres do you recommend? It's only a daily/highway driver so nothing extreme. I'm only sticking to the known brands not the cheap Chinese tyres made form recycled rubber bands.

Thanks.
2012 ASX

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Re: Quiet tyres

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:03 pm

Don't know how they compare but I've got the RE003 from Bridgestone on my VRX (225/40R18) there should be a R16 size to suit, mine cost $209 each so not the cheapest if you don't get the 4th FREE.

In the pic below I used them on a trip back in May.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:42 pm

I'd look at the Michelin Primacy 4 tyres, which replace the older Primacy 3 versions. In that size there's not much price difference between that and the XM2, which are older but great tyres. The XM2 may give fractionally better fuel economy as they belong to the fuel conserving class of tyres. Up to 2 percent.

These aren't really cheap, however the extra cost of the Primacy 4 over cheaper options would be worthwhile considering they are meant to be super quiet, great for braking and wet, and consistently so over the life of the tyre. Many quiet tyres get louder with wear, or braking/wet weather performance is compromised.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

keats1379
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby keats1379 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:48 pm

I'm currently running bridgestone ecopias on mine, ep100 on the rears and ep300 on the front as i'm halfway through replacing tires, and have nearly worn down the rears to swap them over to have all ep300. My 205/60r16 cost me $460 fitted and balanced for a set of 4, as they had buy 4 save 100 when i bought them, and i had 2 spare rims to put them on. They handle well on asphalt and limestone/dirt roads, not much if any slippage in wet, and fairly quiet.
MY RIDE: Gold 2011 CJ Lancer SX Auto Sedan

Shoulda bought a manual :mrgreen:

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:48 pm

Any tyre on the lancer is.loud
Simply cos Mitsubishi cut corners with sound deadening or the lack of it

Get the underneath of the car sprayed with "nilrust sound deadening" and then rip the guts out of the interior and go to town with sound deadening there also
Make sure to rip the roof liner out and do the roof
Plus the doors
Plus the boot lid

You can get the underneath sprayed for a few hundred $ it's not expensive

Then shove what ever you like under it and enjoy the peace and quiet

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:26 am

All good options if you have the time and knowhow!

I've got use to it, sometimes it makes for a better road trip as you have an excuse why you didn't here a passenger say something :lol:
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:52 pm

If you look inside the wheel arch at the rear side, there is a thin bit of liner around the whole arch. This covers up a 'huge' cavity that extends up into the windscreen pillar. I think a lot of the noise at the front of the car comes from here, as the cavity would amplify the sound? Not sure on the best way to stop this though.

I guess a way to see if it is a huge source of noise would be to stuff an old pillow or something that muffles noise up in the gap on either side, and have it packed to the arch cover just fits back over it. Then go for a drive and see whether the noise is muffled at the front and more coming from the back. Only as a test though! The rear side is really the only place in the arch at the front where noise can get through. The rear is different, you can take the plastic cover off in the car and the carpet on the boot side of the arch and line with stick on noise insulation, and over that cover with acoustic foam and put back together. It seems to cut the wheel arch sound at the back quite well. Obviously the sound deadener spray on the underside of the car and wheel arches will cut a lot more. The only thing is I guess they'd spray the arch, but wheel arches these days are just liners, wouldn't it be better to spray actual metal underneath?

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:08 pm

burfadel wrote:If you look inside the wheel arch at the rear side, there is a thin bit of liner around the whole arch. This covers up a 'huge' cavity that extends up into the windscreen pillar. I think a lot of the noise at the front of the car comes from here, as the cavity would amplify the sound? Not sure on the best way to stop this though

Easy
I already told you how to fix it

Underneath spray on body sound deadening.

http://nilrust.com.au/product-details/sound-deadener/

This is what has been sprayed under my lancer from one end of it to the other
Wheel arches the lot

Solved

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:54 pm

I know, but if the lining ever gets damaged... Like my front left lining for smashed by a bird a couple of years ago.

In any case, it's unfortunate they went to cost saving and weight reduction over comfort. Properly sound deadened, modernised, direct injection equivalent of the 4J12, I'm sure they'd still get a lot of sales from a budget orientated car even if it were a couple of thousand more dollars (which would make it say, $23,000 new).

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:25 am

I doubt Mitsubishi would still get the same sales
The price point they are in is extremely competitive

Return to “Maintenance”