***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

135k Service VRX

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

135k Service VRX

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:36 pm

So just called to check the service cost, thinking it would be around $300, but its double that at $600.

This is for the 135k service on my VRX.

Is this the average rate for this service?

And before people jump on me, part of the used car warranty I paid for (yes I know) is to have the car service with them. They are a Mitsy dealer so no issue there.

Apparently they do a lot including fluid changes and valve adjustments.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Re: 135k Service VRX

Postby bumblebee » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:07 am

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:00 am

Thanks for that, they range from $367 to $461, still a lot cheaper than Cricks. Maybe I should check again and see why its so high, maybe call another Mitsy and see what they charge.

Not that I can do it else where :(

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Some charge like a wounded bull
Thats life
Shop around

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Thanks for that, they range from $367 to $461, still a lot cheaper than Cricks. Maybe I should check again and see why its so high, maybe call another Mitsy and see what they charge.

Not that I can do it else where :(

Come for a holiday to Melbourne bruv, the services on that link from bumblebee, (thanks again dude), around me (3975) for a logbook 255k were from $160 up to $190. but i'm not sure if a 255k has the same level of detail as a 135k. the logbook says if doing anything above 210k(?) go back to 45k service and start again.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 pm

I checked with a 2nd local Mitsy dealer and their price was around the same, about $600 for the 135k service, but could cut it to $550.
Amazingly Ultra Tune was one of the dearer ones I checked, still a lot cheaper than the dealers.

As I said with the Cricks used car warranty there is zero I can do until its out of warranty, do but suck it up and have it done there.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:I checked with a 2nd local Mitsy dealer and their price was around the same, about $600 for the 135k service, but could cut it to $550.
Amazingly Ultra Tune was one of the dearer ones I checked, still a lot cheaper than the dealers.

As I said with the Cricks used car warranty there is zero I can do until its out of warranty, do but suck it up and have it done there.

How much of that have you got left?
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:01 pm

Here is a list of mechanics for fixed priced servicing, based on a 2.4 litre Lancer for 135,000 km logbook service.
135,000 km service: https://www.autoguru.com.au/quotes/5ce0 ... d6ce4c8d89

You can often get it cheaper than these, it's just a guideline. Check with your user manual as to what is actually required, I believe it's only a standard service and doesn't require engine coolant and brake fluid etc, that appears to be at the 120,000 km service.
120,000 km service: https://www.autoguru.com.au/quotes/d63b ... 58bc3437d4

So it's best to look in the manual and see what is required, then query with them what is included. If they say things that aren't listed under the 135,000 km service ask them why it needs to be done.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:45 pm

Checked the service manual, its confusing. At first it says check things like the brake, clutch and other fluids including the transmission (mine is a manual) but then the next listing says to replace the transmission fluid but only if conditions apply.

There are also checks on the tires under the preventive list, but I might get them to skip the alignment and balance as I'm looking at getting new tires soon. They can at least give me an idea of how much life I have left in them after 3 years and about 35000km.

BTW the extended used car warranty was for 6 years, I've half way there 'living on a pray!'

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:37 pm

Ask them specifically what will be done in the service, and if it's contrary to the manual enquire why. It's usually the case the extra service costs cover any warranty needs, and of course helps with their revenue.

The extra warranty is good to have, however the whole concept of a set warranty period is they expect nothing to occur during that period. It can also be used to entice buys like Kia are currently doing, which has the downside that you just offload the car just before the warranty period ends and get a new one. I guess the logic behind that is it potentially increases the number sold. Of course, if you have it you probably won't need it, but if you don't have it, it's likely you will need it :S.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:02 pm

There was no set price in the contract I signed, shame as I know a lot now have that included. I like the idea of the extended warranty, part of the reason you pay more at a dealer over private, that piece of mind. Not that it covers a lot, on mine its basically the drive train, doesn't include most of the electrical or airbags.

Just spoke to them and booked in my CJ for the 13th, yes I know 2 weeks but this time of year better to have to booked now and know I'll get it done before the new year.

Was told the service might be only about $500, since the brake/clutch fluid was done last service. But the coolant and GB need to be done this time. Also they want about $120 to do the air filter, checked with the spare parts and the filter cost of about $55.

Was looking at getting one of these, been told they are better than the stock ones.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PERFORMANCE ... 1438.l2649

Also they are going to quote a price for new tires, the RE003 when they check the condition of the ones I have. Probably won't get them there but its worth a check.

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:42 am

Assuming your car has the same service schedules (There is a variation for coolant change as some cars have long life coolant) 135k service is a schedule A and C service interval. There is also an Additional service table but that is only used when the car has been driven in adverse conditions (As taken from booklet): Frequent short run operation, more than 50% of driving in heavy city traffic, prolonged idling or stop-start driving, sustained high speed driving, driving in dusty, sandy or salty conditions, and continuous operation at higher than normal loading, e.g. frequent operation at high RPM, towing and similar types of operation.

Schedule A is really just oil and oil filter change, the rest are all just checks.

And schedule C is just an air cleaner replacement.

There is no coolant or brake fluid change, no transmission oil change, no spark plug replacement etc. so $600 seems excessive, closer to what I would expect for the 90k service where all that is done.

But do you know the previous service history of your car? Is it possible some were missed (like spark plugs) and that is what they will do at next service?

As it really is only oil/filter and air filter you could easily save some money by supplying the parts (it is a legal requirement that service centers use parts/fluids provided by customers if they are withing spec) or even do some of it yourself.

As an example you can easily get all filters (oil, air and cabin) for under $70. Much cheaper than any dealer or service center would charge, and by doing some of it yourself you save heaps on labour costs (air filter is simple to do).

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:12 pm

I've had the car 3 years now, and I have the service book.
Coolant is due at this service, as is the transmission because of when they are last done.

I did the cabin filter my self and will check that and the engine air filter before I take it in.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:33 pm

I drop my lancer off this arvo for 135,000 service
Quoted just under $300
I used local mechanic in link i provided above

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:49 pm

Yeah I did get cheaper quotes but as stated if I want to keep my extended warranty for the next 3 years I have to use them.

Return to “Maintenance”