***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Engine not starting due to flooding (petrol, not water!)

Servicing, Oil Changes, Fluids & Much More.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

IronOxide
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Engine not starting due to flooding (petrol, not water!)

Postby IronOxide » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:47 pm

I recently had a problem with my 2010 CJ ES.

I'd moved it out of the driveway a few yards in the morning, as I was having some bodywork done to it by a repairman. This all went fine, but when he'd finished and I went back to the car it would not start - the starter turned, and the engine cranked, but no starting apart from a very short splutter at the beginning.

I cranked it over a few more times, but it got to the point where the battery would start to suffer if I did it much more.

I read the manual and had a look on the internet but couldn't find anything so called out the RACQ - they immediately diagnosed that the engine was flooded, and to clear it the guy held down the accelerator to the floor, then cranked it, and it started up after a few seconds. Apparently doing this puts the ECU into a 'flooding clear' mode.

According to the RACQ guy, the engine can flood if you only run the car from cold for a very short time, he reccomended in a similar situation let it go down to slow idle (about 6-700rpm on my ES) for at least 30 seconds before stopping the engine.

The car has been fine since then, and I have been on a few longer journeys to charge the battery.

Hope this helps someone else.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:15 pm

Yep car being hard to start is a common issue in CJs.
It used to happen a lot to me but hasn't for ages... It'd always work the second try though, I never required assistance.

If you use too much fuel and switch the car off straight after (eg getting up a steep driveway) or only start the car for a short time then it can cause this...

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:03 pm

flooding clear mode, heh.

that method has been used well way before ecu`s were in cars.
the racq guy is probably right, it just strikes me as funny :P
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Sir Lancer-lot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Sir Lancer-lot » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:09 pm

Had the same issue with my BAFalcon auto choke stays on if started then stopped and started again soon after
2011 VRX Sportback - 2.4L - CVT - MMCS

IronOxide
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby IronOxide » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Thanks for your replies guys. I had a very similar problem many years ago on a Citroen Saxo (which was not mine I hasten to add), but that time it turned out to be the fuel inertia sensor got tripped. I was helping a mate install a car alarm at the time so must have knocked it.

I initially thought that was the issue yesterday (the repairman did check under the bonnet for the paint code), but could not see a sensor under the bonnet nor could I find mention of one in the manual, so I guess perhaps the CJ Lancer doesn't have one.

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Can confirm this problem on my 2010 Activ.
I live on a quite a steep hill, i find that letting it idle for about a minute prevents any further startup issue for the next day.

Seffy
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Seffy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:19 pm

Engine flooding sucks; that's what killed my teg.... well that and the distributor failing from overheating. But on to bigger and better things.

Hasn't happened in my Lancer yet though; What I do is once I turn the car on I let it run for a few minutes and then turn it off; this is what I do whenever I turn the car on to drive it a little bit up or down the driveway or something. Hopefully you don't have to encounter this problem again mate, it's a really hateful thing to happen. :/
Crayon Pop "straight-five engine" dance ftw.

Cammo00
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Cammo00 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:08 pm

the engine can flood if you only run the car from cold for a very short time, he reccomended in a similar situation let it go down to slow idle (about 6-700rpm on my ES) for at least 30 seconds before stopping the engine? Never heard that before. Learn something new every day
Love That Car. (cj-blue)

jayce321
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby jayce321 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:14 pm

my RA has done this to me today when i started it from cold it clicked over and wouldnt start the first time, When i tried the second time it started more harshly the revs played a bit before going normal. Ive only had the car for a week.

I always put the car to acc first for a few seconds to get the fuel pump and everything going before starting.

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:02 am

sleeper wrote:flooding clear mode, heh. that method has been used well way before ecu`s were in cars. the racq guy is probably right, it just strikes me as funny :P
Yep..exactly Steve...maybe the RACQ guy thought they still made carbies lol

Return to “Maintenance”