Page 1 of 4

1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:57 pm
by lancerdarryl
Just for something different to look at I thought I'd put up a few photos of the the Lancer I'm building.Its a 1974 GSR 2 Door.These cars won many long distance rallies in the mid seventies.I have owned this particular car for about 20 years it's been Locked away for about the last 10. We are starting with a clean bare shell rebuild,then all the mechanicals out of my old rally car will be installed.
Image
After the initial strip down ready for the body shop

Image
Ready to go to RediStrip in Blacktown for an alkaline bath to take it back to bare metal

Image
Image
Image
Some of the mechanicals ready to go

Image
This is similar to how it will look when finished

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:26 pm
by Stevie
Mad! Keep us posted :)

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:58 pm
by aspir3
Love it Daryl

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:23 pm
by mealsey
Love threads like this. Bare bones to start with. Will be following!

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:45 pm
by lancerdarryl
Image
A few repairs to the fibreglass bonnet

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:59 am
by JustinR
I shall be following this intently Darryl!

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:19 pm
by Davy
Awesome! I used a 1979 first gen Lancer for 13 years. I can only imagine how great the 1600 GSR is given that my 1400 was an absolute joy to drive.

Will be closely following your build. Good luck!

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:37 pm
by Lancer1993
I with I had the time, money and talent to do something like this to my old 93 CC coupe before I sold it off.

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:53 pm
by lancerdarryl
Image

Image
Tomorrow's project....setting up the coilovers. After many calculations to arrive at spring rates,heights and travel all
I need to do is TIG weld the adjusting collars in place and a paint job and that should be the last major job until the body comes back from the panelbeater.Then it's rollcage time.

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:52 pm
by Mooman
Probably a silly question but is this being built to race, and if so in what category? (ARC, or local club, Targa etc.)

I love the old rally cars, the new ones for 2017 look too overdone for forest work or old school safari stuff. I'll be following this thread as I love build work.

Also couldn't help but notice the Gundam behind the trees in the background of the example picture!

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:38 am
by lancerdarryl
Mooman wrote:Probably a silly question but is this being built to race, and if so in what category? (ARC, or local club, Targa etc.)

I love the old rally cars, the new ones for 2017 look too overdone for forest work or old school safari stuff. I'll be following this thread as I love build work.

Also couldn't help but notice the Gundam behind the trees in the background of the example picture!

It's going to be used for general club level motorsports and historic rallies.

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:21 am
by tam
lancerdarryl wrote:Just for something different to look at I thought I'd put up a few photos of the the Lancer I'm building.Its a 1974 GSR 2 Door.These cars won many long distance rallies in the mid seventies.I have owned this particular car for about 20 years it's been Locked away for about the last 10. We are starting with a clean bare shell rebuild,then all the mechanicals out of my old rally car will be installed.
Image
After the initial strip down ready for the body shop

Image
Ready to go to RediStrip in Blacktown for an alkaline bath to take it back to bare metal

Image
Image
Image
Some of the mechanicals ready to go

Image
This is similar to how it will look when finished


hi davy i see you bought switches and harness for the evo x heated seat s can you help me i need a part number off the harness so i can buy one off mitsubishi as dont know if my x has got it

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:47 am
by merlin
I had a 4.6 diff in my red LA Lancer and ventilated alloy rear drums off a Toyota Crown (if I remember correctly).

Wish I still had that car.

And I remember Kenjiros Lancer, probably from some Southern Cross rally.

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:32 am
by aspir3
Looks great Daryl. More pictures please

Re: 1974 GSR Lancer

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:35 pm
by lancerdarryl
merlin wrote:I had a 4.6 diff in my red LA Lancer and ventilated alloy rear drums off a Toyota Crown (if I remember correctly).

Wish I still had that car.

And I remember Kenjiros Lancer, probably from some Southern Cross rally.


4.6 diff centres are a bit of a holy grail now,very rare and people will pay big money for them
10 inch back brakes with Datsun 240z finned alloy drums are a popular conversion