***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

ROTM No Result - Discussion thread.

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Rob_RA
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

ROTM No Result - Discussion thread.

Postby Rob_RA » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:37 pm

Pete/Matt/Admin

Further to the recent ROTM incident where you have advised erroneous votes were entered using Mattigins admin account, can you please provide some more information regarding the incident but more specifically how an addmin’s account was used without their knowledge/permission?

In particular can you confirm whether your members personal information, required upon registration, has possibly been leaked/hacked/accessed during this incident or is at risk of any future similar incidents?

I am asking this as I assume Mattigins admin account has the highest level of access/privileges and therefore access to all members personal information, please advise if this is not the case?

Thanks Rob

WTR
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby WTR » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:22 pm

*popcorn* *popcorn* *popcorn*

Rob_RA
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Rob_RA » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Hoges wrote:Rob, his account was not used without his permission nor was it hacked.

Apologies Ryan, reading the ROTM thread Pete has stated there is no explanation for how mattigins account was used to vote multiple times.

Are you now saying this is not the case or this was done willingly?

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:34 pm

Hoges wrote:He has the ability to change anything and see anything at will including your password.

That's actually incorrect. Passwords are encrypted with a schema called MD5 - it's a one way hash, basically near impossible to unencrypt.
Everytime you enter your password it is encrypted and compared to the stored encrypted answer. If you entered the right password the encrypted result should match the stored encrypted result.

Hoges wrote: The details you choose to include in your profile are made public and can not be made private or viewable to certain people. If you are worried about security, do not include personal information you do not wish others to see and use a password that you do not use for anything else

ALWAYS use different passwords for different sites, and change your password every few months. It's a good security practice to engage in.
Last edited by The X on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:41 pm

So what is Matt's explanation?
VG/Ultra Racing/Whiteline/Work/Ralliart/Supercircuit/Cosworth/Pioneer/BC/Recaro

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:42 pm

Yeah I think member's would like to know the highest-access account is secure.

This is all news to me since just logging in, but I'd like to know what actually happened.

Mitch
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mitch » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:44 pm

read the topic in the news topic about rotm

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:44 pm

yeah someone hacked Matt's account and while in the process of stealing all your personal information they decided to vote for Mitch in ROTM 6 times. That is like a theft dusting the shelves after he has just robbed the place :P

And Pete is correct there is actually no way someone can get your password form a MD5 hash.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:48 pm

MitchCCJ10 wrote:read the topic in the news topic about rotm

That just says a bunch of votes came from Mattigins account. I think people want to know why/how. I do anyway :P

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it was rigged or 'zomg my passwordz', it just seems natural to explain what happened.

Kimmy
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Kimmy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:51 pm

Chubb wrote:yeah someone hacked Matts account and while in the process of stealing all your personal information they decided to vote for Mitch in ROTM 6 times. That is like a theft dusting the shelves after he has just robbed the place :P

LOL :P
(cj-grey)Ride of the Month April 2011
My ride thread: Click here!
My garage: Click here!

Rob_RA
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Rob_RA » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:53 pm

MitchCCJ10 wrote:read the topic in the news topic about rotm

I did, hence the post??

Chubb wrote:yeah someone hacked Matts account and while in the process of stealing all your personal information they decided to vote for Mitch in ROTM 6 times. That is like a theft dusting the shelves after he has just robbed the place :P And Pete is correct there is actually no way someone can get your password form a MD5 hash.

Glad you are so trusting? I never mentioned passwords or the actual result of ROTM, simply asked whether members perosnal information has possibly been compromised.

Mitch
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mitch » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:57 pm

Rob_RA wrote:[quote:f8272f1e87=MitchCCJ10]read the topic in the news topic about rotm[/quote:f8272f1e87] I did, hence the post??

i wasnt mentioning you rob i meant it for dire sorry mate

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:08 pm

fact is, WHAT IS BEING DONE ABOUT IT?

IF Matts account was hacked, WHY? what can be done to prevent it happening again.

If it WAS Matt putting in the extra votes, WHAT is going to be done? why should he be allowed to do it and get away with it.

we should all be treated equally, no matter what your position is in the club.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:09 pm

@ Rob

I don't think Chubb is implying that he's is "so trusting" (your words)

I think he's simply stating that the supposed "Mattigins Account Hacking" seems Far Fetched - Hard to Believe etc etc.

As for the whether members perosnal information has possibly been compromised .....
Well .... I'll have to place my Trust in that VRX-Pete is Cyber Literate & Knowledgeable enough to know what he's stating.
He makes a living according to this type of stuff, so I would not see any sense in challenging him.

Sam.

Return to “General Talk”