***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Sony DSLR

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Sony DSLR

Postby Aspired » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:58 am

Hi Guys,

Anyone in Melbourne have a Sony A580, or have a Minolta or Sony 50mm f/1.4 lens ?
I want to take some decent shots of Emily at Futsal, But my current camera(Sony A100) which is around 6 years old has terrible high ISO performance. To get a high enough shutter speed I need to shoot at 1600 and the A100 is very noisy at such a high ISO setting.
I have read that the A580 performs really well up to an ISO of 3200 so I wanted to know if anyone can verify this. I also wanted to try a 50mm f/1.4 lens to see if that will produce better pics, so if anyone has one of these I would love to try it on my A100.

Just to show you how bad the indoor shots are, have a look at these. You can really see how bad the noise is n the first one and then due to the slower shutter speed you get blurred images like the second pic.
These pics where taken with a Konica Minolta 28-75mm f/2.8 lens

Image Image Image

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:56 am

Not camera related, but yew! Futsal! ... I play 3-5 times a week. Awesome sport :)

In your last picture, looks liek the focus is actually out ... looks to be focused on the kid sitting in the background. Might be a good idea to use a sports mode or C-Focus. I don't know anything about your specific model of camera though, so I'll leave it up to someone who does :)
GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

Mr Charisma
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Mr Charisma » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:37 am

Ohh love Futsal too!! Probably because I was awesome at it back in the day.

You can't shoot on anything higher than 800 ISO on the A100 - even 800 is very noisy.

For arguments sake, if you set the camera to 800 ISO and use the f2.8 lens, what shutter speed is available?

Also do you use Steadyshot, or checked if it is working?

The old KM 5D used to have the steady shot seize up but everything else would still work.
Love that car!

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:39 pm

ISO 800 with f/2.8 lens gives me 1/60 , 1/80 and sometimes it manages 1/100 , which is too slow so the image blurs.

ie:
Focal Length: 75.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.013 s (1/80)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO Equiv.: 800
Whitebalance: Auto
Metering Mode: matrix
Exposure: program (auto)

I was going to post the link to some photobucket pics, but it seems ClubCJ does not allow that now. Pics from outside are sharp as and very crisp and clear, but indoor is shocking.

Mr Charisma
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Mr Charisma » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:31 am

Fair enough - indoors are always hard to get right.

If it was me, I would set the camera to 1/160th or 1/250th and shot with on 800ISO, f2.8 and with steadyshot on. Judging by the pictures above, a stop or 2 under shouldn't make them too dark that you can't fix them.

It will also give you an idea on how the f1.4 would go.
Love that car!

Return to “General Talk”