***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Anti Virus recommendation

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Tillllasam
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Anti Virus recommendation

Postby Tillllasam » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:29 pm

Bought a laptop recently, would like some recommendation of AntiVirus?
I am thinking of ESET Smart Security. Are they any good?

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Re: Anti Virus recommendation

Postby The X » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:36 pm

Tillllasam wrote:Bought a laptop recently, would like some recommendation of AntiVirus?
I am thinking of ESET Smart Security. Are they any good?

ESET make NOD32, it's used quite a bit by tech geeks. Personally not used it myself, so I can't vouch for how good it is.

I used Norton Internet Security, works fine for me, never had an infection and when I've take my laptop outside of my secure network, it does alert me well to when there are intrusion attempts on an unsecured network.

Lots of corporate used Trend Micro or McAfee as their anti-virus defence.

There are other well know AV software is Kaspersky Labs...

ultimately, trawling google for reviews on ESET to gauge what it's like it your best bet...
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Government company's use Sophos, iv used it on my computer worked great. but the firewall gets annoying. (constantly asking to accept stuff)
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

vr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby vr » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:59 pm

I use Norton Internet Security and no problems

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:02 pm

I'm using Kaspersky Internet Security 2011. It has high detection rates, but I feel that it has bloated out by a bit over the years.

Gave up on McAfee and Norton initially, but I think Norton have picked up their game and streamlined their software a bit now.

I do think getting an AV and firewall package is a good idea, as there are less incompatibility issues and you should be more protected.

Here's a comparison of the software, but take it with a grain of salt:
http://internet-security-suite-review.t ... views.com/

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:22 pm

I personally am a huge AVAST! fan. Have used a lot over the years whether it's the original Norton Anti-virus, Symantec Anti-virus (the corporate version), Norton Internet Security, AVG, etc....

... but I found AVAST! to have the best overall interface, not too intrusive, very good at staying in the background, has some useful plugins which you can enable/disable at your own use to keep resources to a minimum.

ps. AVAST is free but there is a commercial version available if you so desire.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Leez
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Leez » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:15 pm

I use Norton Internet Security which is really good :) I've never had any viruses or spyware to my knowledge and it runs pretty much unnoticeably in the background. When you open up your internet browser there is a Norton toolbar which contains information about the current site (Computer threats, Identity threats and Annoyance factors) and you can also do a Norton Safe Search.

Also, when you search on Google there is a little icon next to each result telling you about the threat level on the site and whether it is safe to enter it or not.

Each month it comes up with a 'Monthly report' showing threats detected, known attacks, etc etc and the latest happenings.

Masked
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Masked » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:35 pm

I use AVAST Antivirus in conjunction with Spybot: Search and Destroy. It's a tag team that has protected my system from 99% of viruses and malware. And both programs are free and routinely updated.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Working In the IT industry myself, I sell and recomend trend micro titanium security. If not that then kaspersky.

From personal experience i have found programs like norton use way too many resources than needed and slow down the pc unnessacerly.
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

stewy
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby stewy » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:47 pm

At the end of the day good viruses can get past anything, the best defense is not downloading dodgey crap or opening suspect emails. I haven't run it for years and haven't had a single issue.

But if you do want it and have got legit windows then just get this:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/security ... fault.aspx

It's free and will get the job and integrates into Windows better than most of the third party software.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:11 pm

I remember Norton used to be epic and awesome back in the day (Windows 95 days and before?) when viruses were copied on floppy discs and the like... but since then they've had to try and justify their existence (and their price) with bloatware features and a dumbed down interface. The thing which turned me away from them the most was that instead of unlimited updates to definitions, when you buy it (or at least the last 2 copies I bought of NIS and NAV) you only get updates for a year unless you crack/hack it. This is unacceptable considering the competition offer lifetime free updates.

I've got (freeware) AVAST running on 5 of my PC's now and have been using it for the past couple of years- haven't looked back. It's great.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

UBJ000
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby UBJ000 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:19 pm

I use trend micro on three computers havent had any probs easy to install & use,3 year licence for 3 computers,make sure you get a full security suite to cover everything

Ricksville
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Ricksville » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Trend micro...I get it free from work been using it for 7 years Never had an issue with it.

Return to “General Talk”