***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Driving With AWC Ralliart/EVOs- Do You Ever Change It ??

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

lamn8tr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Driving With AWC Ralliart/EVOs- Do You Ever Change It ??

Postby lamn8tr » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Guys just wondered for any RA And EVO drivers 2 questions;

1. Do you ever use the AWC button to change the drive mode to Gravel, Snow or Tarmac depending on weather and driving conditions?

2. What main differences do each mode make on driving and car "set-up" ?

I never change it and tend to leave it on Tarmac for my daily driving in all weather conditions and wondered why I would ever use it for??

whitenight
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby whitenight » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:46 pm

if its really really raining hard and the roads are slippery i'll change it to gravel

lamn8tr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby lamn8tr » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:49 pm

Ok Ken but why do you change it and what are the differences??

shamrockshirts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby shamrockshirts » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:35 pm

I've had my RA at about a 60 degree angle unintentionally with Gravel Mode selected and ASC off. The difference is significant. Gravel is definately more RWD biased. .

shamrockshirts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby shamrockshirts » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:00 pm

I was using GRAVEL mode on tarmac. When I entered a tight 2nd gear 180 degree bend I nailed it aiming for the apex. Found myslef looking outta the passenger side window for quite a few seconds before recovering it.

An experience I will keep for the track next time :D

Massaen
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Massaen » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:37 pm

Mu understanding is that Tarmac is RW bias, gravel is 50/50 and snow is FW bias... which makes sense when you think about it.

Yes i do change it when the weather changes...
I have a 3 year old son who KNOWS i should drive faster! So why do i get fined?!?

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:45 pm

shamrockshirts wrote:I've had my RA at about a 60 degree angle unintentionally with Gravel Mode selected and ASC off. The difference is significant. Gravel is definately more RWD biased. .

Ditto with my Evo in gravel mode on the track. Tarmac is very much suited to a point 'n shoot/grip-style driving.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Squeaks
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Squeaks » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:51 pm

Unfortunately it has nothing to do with torque (would be awesome if it did!!)

D. How the Tarmac/Gravel/Snow switch influences the ACD

Despite popular belief, this switch DOES NOT change the torque split. The differential is geared at 50:50 and cannot be changed by the push of a button. What this switch actually does is quite simple. Each setting determines how long the ACD will delay in freeing the center differential after a steering input is made. In addition, it will determine how much locking force the ACD will exhibit on the clutch pack and center differential. (10) (11)

Tarmac is the setting to be used in dry, paved conditions. In this setting, the ACD will almost immediately allow the center differential to go into a free state upon detecting a steering input. Additionally, this mode provides the strongest limited-slip clamping force of the three modes. (7) (12)

Gravel is the setting designed for wet or loose roads. In this setting, the ACD will delay in freeing the center differential for a moment (possibly 2-3 seconds). Of the three modes, this one has the second strongest clamping force. (7) (12)

Snow is the setting designed for, you guessed it, snow. In this setting, the ACD will delay in freeing the center differential for much longer than the other two settings (possibly 4-5 seconds). Of the three modes, this one also provides the least amount of clamping power. (7) (12)

From
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-engine ... ybody.html

While the article is a bit old i read through some newer ones and its all the same; i just find this one to give a better explanation!!

OT: I tend to have ASC on and 99% of the time my cars in Tarmac Mode. ASC comes off if i need a speedy launch or if i get sick of it interfering. I have played with them prior to reading the article and noticed minor difference but as the articles indicates the difference wont be noticed unless you've pushed the car to a point where the ACD actually engages... However, over easter ill be heading out to my wifes Uncles farm(out west!) that just happens to have a few KM's of dirt tracks on the property and ill most certainly be going for a spin!! maybe i can report back on how the different modes react on dirt!
(cj-white) RA Sedan

bobcrusader
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bobcrusader » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:52 am

It has to do with how quickly the centre diff locks up. It locks up fastest in Tarmac and slowest in Snow. Easiest way to feel the difference is on a damp (closed) road, try a U-Turn with enough power to break traction. Using Tarmac, the car will get about 130 degrees around and you will feel the diff lock and the car will almost jolt sideways. Using gravel, you get a perfect power sliding U-Turn, because the diff seems to lock just as you straighten up and go. Under snow, you'll probably end up spinning, but I haven't tried it.

I use Gravel all the time, as I like a bit 'give', but switch to Tarmac for a good launch on wet roads.
- 2009 Lancer Ralliart
- Boostpill + Tune
- Upgraded intercooler + pipes
- Turbo XS Catback
- Drift BoV
- Blitz Air Filter

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:48 am

Have a looksie at this vid:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Yi3S8Nfxc[/youtube]

bobcrusader
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bobcrusader » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:22 am

That's a good video, but it's not the setting we are talking about. Ralliart only has 'On' and 'Off-Off', btw. The AWC is All Wheel Control (from the Evo 9 in a Ralliart, I believe). The video is showing the ASC - Active Stability Control. The Evo X also has AYC - Acitve Yaw Control. In the Video, setting the ASC to 'Off', turns off traction control, but leaves AYC on.
- 2009 Lancer Ralliart

- Boostpill + Tune

- Upgraded intercooler + pipes

- Turbo XS Catback

- Drift BoV

- Blitz Air Filter

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:41 am

Oops got my acronyms mixed up lol

Return to “General Talk”