***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Driving With AWC Ralliart/EVOs- Do You Ever Change It ??

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:52 pm

Personally played with 3 diff settings and ASC on/off on a skid pan.

Basic car understeers, so the handbrake (disengage rear diff) and general trail braking is the way to get some oversteer.
From what I understand the 3 diff settings simply allow more or less slip before the central diff gives you more/les to the rear, with the front driven wheels being fairly constant. I could not pick the difference on the pan as the front end plough understeer was dominant.

ASC on in the wet is great in cutting drive the rear on roundabouts in the wet to prevent the back kicking out.

Think the inherent cars AWD is fine with ASC off it woudl take plenty of provocation to get yourself into some serious trouble. However if you are looking for trouble, don't do it on the road.
CJ RA. Stock!

Squeaks
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Squeaks » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:23 am

wow well ive tested all of these in all conditions so yer snow = 50 50 for traction tarmac = rear biast and gravel =front biast just beleive me on this one

Im not sure how you've come to that conclusion; i assume its just how you interpret the feeling the car gives under the different modes because it most certainly isn't changing the split?????

Since the topic came up i really wanted to know for myself how it all works as it seems pretty cool(turns out it is :P). From my understanding it just changes the time between a wheel slipping and the ACD interfering with that(as has been pointed out already).. and when it engages its trying to make sure both wheels on the same axil spin a the same speed stopping said 'slip'.. AYC takes it further but for now isnt what we are focusing on.. There is also no mention anywhere on the car varying power distribution between front and rear wheels.. Most articles actually make it pretty clear that this isnt what it does either in FAQ's or in bold at the start to iron out any myths :P

Each article also says that the only Deferential system with adjustable/variable torques/power in a similar range car is the Subaru wrx STI's...

So with all this in mind having the car in gravel mode or even snow will make the car more free to 'slide' giving the driver the opportunity to control said slide before the ACD steps in to hlep you out(it may not even have the chance).. As for the feeling of front/rear bias i dont know where that stems from?

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-engine ... ybody.html
(yes its evo but it breaks each tech down and also has a ralliart link)
Ive found this to still be the best source of info regarding the tech - it has alot of links to technical details too..

Also how isnt the skid pan not good for testing?? the only difference between it and a track/road is the corners are marked out with cones and if you spin out you dont need to worry about hitting kitty litter or mud :s I couldnt think of a better place to test the limits of a LSD or in our case ACD .
(cj-white) RA Sedan

Squeaks
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Squeaks » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:52 am

From what i gather the only difference is the AYC/S-AWC functionality so the post is applicable to the ralliart but not the Evo X in its entirety ( keeping in mind it does talk about AYC/S-AWC despite it not being fully featured to the US).

+ Most of the information in the post is straight off the Mitsubishi-Motors global site under tech library..

How is a post on a Mitsubishi Forum and global website bias? id say informative is a better word for it..

As for common sense and using my brain?? - Im not sure how me posting links to people who have a clue indicates i have none or am not using my brain? are you trolling? Like alot of people here id like to know how it works so we can better understand its limitations and benefits - testing out on the streets/track/skidpan will only tell you so much as each driver experiences and explains things differently;this could be due to driving experience or styles or one of many other factors.... Clearly evident in this thread.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corpor ... 08/20e.pdf
This is the Mitsubishi tech review from 2008 - its a big file but for those interested its a pretty cool read.
(cj-white) RA Sedan

Squeaks
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Squeaks » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 pm

I know what you are trying to explain - those posts explain it better.. I know very well how the car handles under 'hard driving' and my experiences reflect those that other members here + those very posts suggest.

Im merely pointing out to you why you are feeling the handling characteristics; by understanding how things work you are much better equipped to use it.. Im not saying your necessarily wrong just not technically right. Thats not to say im 100% right either but i have reaffirmed my beliefs with evidence from much larger forums and Genuine Mitsubishi documents??
(cj-white) RA Sedan

Squeaks
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Squeaks » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:14 pm

Yeah i read the article before posting last time; im not sure if you read the whole thing though.. It starts off explaining the benefits of an ACD and outlining the benefits of various torque splits 70:30, 30:70 and so on but as you can see in 3.1ACD Transfer under Structure and features(pp63) they adopted a 50:50 split as its the most favorable under all road conditions. The only car similar to that of the Ralliarts and EVO X with variable torque control is the Subaru STI.

Not only that the article is much older than the one linked in my previous post - while much of its the same it covers more of the modern developments for the newer cars and assumes you already know the car has a 50:50 front/rear torque split.
(cj-white) RA Sedan

Squeaks
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Squeaks » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:26 pm

I think ill just agree to disagree as i dont think you understand what me or the Mitsubishi documents are trying to say.
(cj-white) RA Sedan

Lethal_1
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS
Location: Sth Side Of Brisbane, Here @ Springwood, Qld, Australia.

Postby Lethal_1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:30 pm

I've read all the pages so far, & I wanna understand like everyone else ..

And like everyones experience will be different, we all must have a different " driving style's " ...

I have pushed mine quite a bit, mainly with all the safety gear ON, & it catches me everytime, it's fantastic.!

But I DO change my settings when the time come's, Ie; Rain, I will put it into Snow Mode ( because snow is very slippery )

* Even with brand *new* tyres currently in the wet, 'Snow Mode' work's the best 4 me.! It does make a difference, Tarmac Mode is scary in the wet.!

But ... I have managed to get mine sideways with a drift of aprox. 3-5sec in the Dry, & it's quite surprising how much U have to do, to make it slide.?

I hardly use Gravel Mode, but ... it looks like I'll be testing this mode as I'm curious.? - But day-today 'dry weather driving', it's in Tarmac Mode, & it works well ...
ClubCJ Lifetime Member #0098
NA AUTOSPORTS AND ENGINEERING - 3808 3048

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:29 pm

Honestly - what's the difference between your 'experiences' and someone else' experiences which are backed up by references. Why should people take your word on things and not someone elses? You assume they don't drive it as hard as you? Don't take this as a personal attack but it's hard to take anyone seriously who doesn't even take them time to post with proper grammer or punctuation. At least the other post has some references to back it up behind it instead of 'just trust me'. Hey just trust me, it's 50:50.

The Active Center Differential incorporates an elctronically-controlled hydraulic multi-plate clutch. The system optimizes clutch cover clamp load for different driving conditions, regulating the differential limiting action between the free and locked states to optimize front/rear torque split and thereby producing the best balance between traction and steering response.

That quote is from this page (which is for the 2008 evo) http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1159. This says that all it does is allow up to 50:50 to the rear - and given that the differential states is either free, locked or somewhere in between, there is no way there is rear wheel bias.

Return to “General Talk”