***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

I just love the RTA

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

I just love the RTA

Postby lancerdarryl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:59 am

Just got the rego renewals for my VRX Sportback and my Ralliart Sedan because the Ralliart is 150kgs heavier than the VRX it is going to cost an extra $134 to register !! I thought piracy was illegal but I must be mistaken!

PsyTrix
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby PsyTrix » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:18 am

Cant wait to leave NSW.. Still cant get over the fact the I have to fork out almost 700 bucks in "Green slip" fee´s when I already have full comprehensive insurance!
Ralliart/Evo parts Versus 20s and BBS rims for sale! see: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=7346

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:39 am

See here http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... x2010.html
"On 21 February 2010, the Premier of NSW announced that a one-off increase in motor vehicle weight tax rates will apply for motor vehicles weighing between 976kg and 2504kg tare weight."

Be sure to thank NSW labor at the ballot box. :P
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

Mr Charisma
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Mr Charisma » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:36 am

I really hate NSW rego too.

For anyone between 25 and 30 with a car less than 5 - 6 years old and full comprehensive insurance, look at SWAN ( underwritten by NRMA ). They seem to be only ones giving a discount on stupidly high prices - without doing the dodgy.

Although there are 5 regions for pricing, with SWAN my Green Slip was only $365 for a 25year old on a MY09 Lancer in Central Coast / Newcastle. That should mean it is about $430 for Sydney Metro.
Love that car!

monty888
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby monty888 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:25 am

Rego and green slip - a big slap on the face.

tomtom
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tomtom » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:17 am

Hoges wrote: i have NRMA full cover but cause my dad is listed as a driver, it cut it by almost half

Same here. im not even listed on the policy. I think nrma is the only place that lets you do that. Cost me 1800 or so in excess charges if I have an accident though :O

Cost me just over $1000 the other week for greenslip and rego, because unlike the policy, I have to be on the greenslip! :x

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:27 am

Come march we can all say goodbye to ms Keneally :)
Red goes faster. MUCH faster.

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:02 am

My greenslips are about $550 usually with the NRMA because the cars have under 25 drivers listed.

It cost me $119 to register a 121 Bubble for 6 months + $269 for the gs for 6 months. The comprehensive insurance is about $600.

The thing that annoys me is that my 2 boys, who are listed on all the cars, also own cars that are worth the same or more than the Bubble. Mr 19 has a VR Calais that is insured for over $4000 and it was only $466 and the 21 year old has a 1980 RA40 Celica insured for $3800 and it costs $350. I can't understand why older cars with the same drivers, worth more, are half the price. Strange. I've got their cars insured so they can build up their own no claim bonus and because the third party property damage by itself actually costs more than the comprehensive in both cases.

My 19 yr olds 1979 RX7 (when he was 17) was going to be $3500 to insure with one firm, $5500 to insure with another, $2500 to insure with the NRMA and the GIO insured it for $950. One mob wasn't going to insure for any drivers under the age of 30. His gs was about $550 as well.

The dealer got the gs for the Lancer and it was $369 from the NRMA but if I'd have got it myself it would only have been around $300 with no under 25s.

I have the Lancer insured with the NRMA but not for under 25s (they can drive the bubble when they're home) and it cost me all of $341 to comprehensively insure. It was only going to be $620 to insure it for under 25s but the woman told my husband that the excess was the same whether you insured for them or not. I told him that it wasn't but he believed her. I checked out the policy the day after and I was right. The age excess is $1600 if it's not insured for them and $400 if it is.

I really wish people would listen to me. I do know what I'm talking about sometimes. More than sometimes actually but mostly I'm just dismissed as some bird who knows nothing. Now I've got to worry every time my daughter drives my car. She does have to sometimes :(

OMG 4 cars to register and insure. I think I need to win Lotto. The eldest has got a job now but we'll see if he's got the money at rego time.

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:38 am

Well I am 24 next month with a clean driving record since I was 17, so 7 years driving. My last greenslip (October) cost me $519 an insurance was a tad over $800 for the vrx :(, if I was 30 my greenslip would have cost a tad over $300.

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:42 pm

That's not too bad really. My SX is worth a little less than the VRX and for under 25s was going to be $620.

I was going to say it will get better but apparently premiums are going up :( Again. :'( So it probably won't.

Mr Charisma
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Mr Charisma » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:44 pm

@ SXLancerMum: Each car down the year, make, model, type, transmition, value etc will be looked at and rated by an insurance company. This means for example that a Holden Commodore all made in the same year will vary depending on if you purchase the Exec, Berlina, SV6 with the Exec generally being the most expensive, dispite being worth the least.

Age of the vehicle is definiately a factor but the overall claims history also plays a big part.

I think the communication between the Consultant, your Husband and yourself broke down somewhere. The Consultant is correct, your Standard Excess does not change if the under 25 driver(s) are on the policy or not. You will incure an Age Excess only if the under 25 driver has an accident and is at fault. If the car is stolen while in the pocession of the younger driver, only the standard excess applies. Likewise if you or your husband were to be at fault, only the stardard excess applies.

Were you take the risk with NRMA is if you do list the under 25 year old you pay more and have a reasonable excess, if you don't and they are at fault, finding nearly $2000 on top of your stardard excess can be tough.

@ Chubb: I found the same until I bought my Lancer and got the renewal from Swan ( the preferred dealer company ). QBE used to be the other company to be nice to 25-30 year old but alas they have changed their minds. Now all my friends and our other car is with Swan until we all hit 30 or someone changes their pricing in the new few years...
Love that car!

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:45 pm

Yeah Mine is as low as I can get it with a 65% no claim bonus or something plus I have contents insurance with them and I am a nrma roadside member.

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Mr Charisma wrote:@ SXLancerMum: Each car down the year, make, model, type, transmition, value etc will be looked at and rated by an insurance company. This means for example that a Holden Commodore all made in the same year will vary depending on if you purchase the Exec, Berlina, SV6 with the Exec generally being the most expensive, dispite being worth the least.

Age of the vehicle is definiately a factor but the overall claims history also plays a big part.

I think the communication between the Consultant, your Husband and yourself broke down somewhere. The Consultant is correct, your Standard Excess does not change if the under 25 driver(s) are on the policy or not. You will incure an Age Excess only if the under 25 driver has an accident and is at fault. If the car is stolen while in the pocession of the younger driver, only the standard excess applies. Likewise if you or your husband were to be at fault, only the stardard excess applies.

Were you take the risk with NRMA is if you do list the under 25 year old you pay more and have a reasonable excess, if you don't and they are at fault, finding nearly $2000 on top of your stardard excess can be tough.

@ Chubb: I found the same until I bought my Lancer and got the renewal from Swan ( the preferred dealer company ). QBE used to be the other company to be nice to 25-30 year old but alas they have changed their minds. Now all my friends and our other car is with Swan until we all hit 30 or someone changes their pricing in the new few years...

It wasn't the basic excess we were discussing it was the age excess. She told us that the AGE excess didn't change whether we paid the extra premium for the under 25s or not. She was wrong. The age excess is $400 if you do pay the extra but $1600 if you don't. It's on the policy but I didn't look until the next day. Definitely not the same. I knew I was right. I was prepared to put my sons on as drivers and pay the extra $250 (yep that's all it went up) but she basically talked him out of it and now it's only covered for us unless I want to take the risk and have to pay $2000 instead of $800 if anything happens while the kids are driving. By putting the boys on, my daughter who gets her Ps in 2 weeks is also covered. Unlike the GIO who only covers those named on the policy and all others have to pay the $1600 extra excess over the basic excess no matter what age they are.

I know all about insurance and excesses. I've been dealing with it for so long. In fact one of the reasons my premium on the Lancer is so low is because I've had 30 yrs continuous car insurance with them just in my name as well as the fact that I have 2 house and contents insurances at the moment, 4 Greenslips and 3 other car insurances and we are all NRMA roadside members. I'm an accountant as well.

As with the prices of the premiums of the other cars none of our vehicles have ever had a claim. We've had the Bubble for 14 yrs and never claimed once and it's twice as much as the Celica but worth less according to them. It's also 1/2 the Celicas age. Also the Celica is a 2 door car but I think they have got around that and call it a hatchback and it's not insured like a sportscar like my old 929 coupe was.

None of the drivers who are listed have ever claimed anything or have ever lost their licence. It's the same 4 drivers on the 3 cars.

Mr Charisma
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Mr Charisma » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:08 pm

Ahh ok good, by the sounds of your initial post I thought you meant the ages excess applied to all drivers making it a loaded excess.

I know AAMI don't make you put additional drivers on so if your kids do drive you won't get charged for it. The ages excess are a big for under 21's but, 21-24 isn't as bad from memory. The kids will also get a no claim bonus based on how many years they have had their licence, not how long they have had insurance - very good for me when I was younger.

Unless you get a custom quote for you from Youi or a broker, NRMA, GIO, AAMI doesn't worry about you. They have their own risk factors for that particular car based on claims history, cost of repairs etc, then you need to fill the rest in, drivers age / sex / history, in their case the youngest driver age, location of car etc etc. They then give you a discount on that based on multi-policies etc.

If you were to get a price with someone else, it varies based on what they do / don't want to insure.

As I mentioned, the age and value of the car is only a small component. Claims history and cost of repair is a much higher weighted factor.

Same goes for CTP when they work out the pricing, just on crash statistics and average cost of claims for rehab, physio etc.
Love that car!

Return to “General Talk”