***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Goodbye Eclipse, Galant and Endeavor

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Quixand
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Goodbye Eclipse, Galant and Endeavor

Postby Quixand » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:51 pm

Just sharing an article I just read regarding some Mitsubishi updates and plans going forward...

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/20/mitsubishi-to-discontinue-eclipse-and-galant/?hpw

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:45 pm

There is a similar article from other sites that has things a little different to that one. Withdrawal of US only products to swap them out with more global offerings under the main family platforms (Lancer and Outlander).

The Galant makes sense with the Big Lancer coming, it was shown a few years ago but highly doubt we will get it with the dash it had for the concept. Probably get a variation of the current family dash (Lancers/Outlanders). The Endevour, easily replaced with a variant from the Outlander family or Pajero family.

The Eclipse though, that sucks. If they had of brought it down here I would have brought it. It was old though, one of only a few Mitsubishi's running with the older G series engines and not the newer B series engines. Did accidentally find out about a 3rd Lancer body style a few years ago though; sedan, hatch and coupe. Its probably too late in the model cycle to bring in a Lancer coupe with the new Lancer series only couple years away but not too late to bring in a coupe using the Lancer platform under a global nameplate like a new FTO. Concept RA would be great as a new GTO.

I wish Mitsubishi would bring back an FTO or GTO into the line-up. Have the FTO as Mitsubishi's new entry level performance car (have it as NA, sit around the 35k mark), have your RA and Evo in the mid tier performance level and have the GTO as the halo model at around the 70-75k mark; twin turbo AWD.

Have a diverse offering under existing platforms. Have Mitsubishi split into 3 distinct line up groups; Family (Colt replacement, Lancer, Big Lancer), Off-Road/SUV (ASX/Challenger, Outlander, Triton and Pajero) and Performance (FTO, RA/Evo and GTO).

Maybe I should head up Mitsubishi's product development; supercharge everything haha :twisted: Actually if I did head up that part of Mitsubishi, I would kill off the RA completely and restructure the Evo line up with a cheaper entry level Evo to replace the RA. Something like no spoiler, lower grade suspension/wheel package, cloth trim, standard 6disc no MMCS; pretty much a bare bones Evo to come in around the 42-45k mark

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 pm

We sort of had the Galant here as the 380, and that failed. A larger version of the Lancer would be pretty awesome.

The Endeavour looks a bit like a downsized Challenger, but slightly larger than an Outlander and is quite unnecessary.

With the Eclipse, if they could do a nice Lancer coupe, then that would fill the gap quite easily.

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:54 pm

I want a V6 Lancer :P An even more upmarket aspire :D
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:45 pm

milobob wrote:I want a V6 Lancer :P An even more upmarket aspire :D

Thats where the Big Lancer comes in. In concept form it had the 2.4 in it but also able to take the V6 too for higher spec trims.

Geneva Motor Show coming up and I think Melbourne is either just before or just after. Mitsubishi got 9 cars for the Geneva show so maybe we will see something on the next lot of cars. Big Lancer was shown just after the launch of the new Lancer.

I hope an FTO comes along :)

Return to “General Talk”