***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Odd Experience with Cops-Speeding Tickets ???

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

lamn8tr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Odd Experience with Cops-Speeding Tickets ???

Postby lamn8tr » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Guys just had a strange experience with a copper (detective actually).

Read this and bare with me......

Basically followed me for a while in an un-marked car after speeding up behind me and following me on a freeway.

He claims I pulled out from some lights very fast and sped to 133km/hr...which i wasn't by the way. I was doing speed limit in that area (90 km/hr). Followed me on the freeway which I was just over the limit on the "safer" side of getting booked.

Then an actual marked cop car pulls up and sits behind us both and does nothing....weird right. The detective who identified himself initially then says that he will not write me up for 40km over but only for 20km over. He tells me he knows what "high performance" cars are capable of blah blah blah.....

Here's the strange bit....he then gives me my licence back and tells me to slow down and "be safe" and goes back to his car and drives off along with the other cop. NOT ISSUEING ME A TICKET ON THE SPOT!!!!

My question is this.....can I expect a ticket in the mail or are they supposed to issue it on the spot? Also what is the $$$ fine and points demit for 20km over.

I'll log in later to hear the responses....help please :)

Confused?????

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:47 pm

Its supposed to be on the spot, i think they were just ****ing with you, a cop i know used to do this with his partner, just mess around with people for kicks.

Wait a few weeks and hopefully nothing comes in the mail :)
Red goes faster. MUCH faster.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:56 pm

Sort of similar thing, many years ago a family member was driving and we were in the car and next thing an unmarked car pulls us over. A detective too, said family member ran through a red light when it was green. Family member was still on their P's. No ticket was given or anything but the detective took down all the details.

Few weeks later, no ticket came but a summons to go to court did instead... Case was thrown out from lack of evidence but yeah they kind of skipped the whole tickets thing and went straight for a summons instead.

lamn8tr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby lamn8tr » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:59 pm

Summons in court...

what's that all about and what does that mean??

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:02 pm

You get sent to court so the judge can decide based on the evidence.

Better as on the spot fine isnt very... appeal-able, where in court you could point out that cop is a total moron.

But thats just my interpretation. Its a shame so many cops are like this, pathetic.
Last edited by Envoke on Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Summons means your in trouble... Really it does. You usually get summons for committing crimes or not paying fines. Its the last thing you get before you get thrown in jail and all prior things had failed (aka not paying speeding/parking fines etc).

Envoke
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Envoke » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:08 pm

Makes you wonder how they can jump 5 spaces and give you a summons instead of a fine

lamn8tr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby lamn8tr » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:09 pm

@ Tim.

Now you're screwing with me i know....

How can I be summoned to court for not paying a ticket I didn't get?

Besides at this stage it's all hypothetical (if I'm VERY lucky)

Hopefully NO ticket and that is that, I will be taken my foot a little off the pedal for a while though. Definitely a bit of a scare.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:17 pm

If you pay a fine it is admitting fault.

If you do not pay the fine then you are summoned to court for a hearing. (that is why you receive the summons)

The hearing will be in front of a judge who will look at the evidence and make a conviction. Normally he will take the Policeman's word as he ha no reason to lie.

You will be found guilty and made to pay the fine plus court costs and any other fee applied by the court/judge.

If these fines are not paid then the process continues. In the end you may be made to do community service or go to jail/prison.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:22 pm

lamn8tr wrote:@ Tim.

Now you're screwing with me i know....

How can I be summoned to court for not paying a ticket I didn't get?

Besides at this stage it's all hypothetical (if I'm VERY lucky)

Hopefully NO ticket and that is that, I will be taken my foot a little off the pedal for a while though. Definitely a bit of a scare.

The 'your in trouble' bit was :lol: Rest of it wasnt though. Summons are used as a last resort and most times for a Judge to find reasoning into why your not paying your fines and why your still commuting those types of offences to determine what the next type of action to take.

I not joking though, the family member did get a summons and the case was thrown out from lack of evidence and a few other things directly relating to the detective. Family member had no previous fines or anything but got a summons...

lamn8tr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby lamn8tr » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Troy.

Let's all get one thing straight....I wasn't issued a fine (yet) so I'll try to relax and see what happens in the coming weeks.

If I do recieve a fine, what is the actual fine amount and loss of demirit points????

So I'm not off to prison yet hopefully :)

lamn8tr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby lamn8tr » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:32 pm

Tim wrote:

The 'your in trouble' bit was Rest of it wasnt though

Now's not the time for jokes...I was freakin out here.

No seriously, all I can do is wait and see. "control the controllables" is one of my favourite sayings. The ticket is now out of my hands.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:37 pm

Not sure, never had any. A couple hundred at most and 2 or 3 points. If its the first one its cheap but the second one is like doubled. Ive had more fines on public transport than I have with my own car :lol: Playing dumb worked the first time but the other two times it didnt work... Im convinced I dont have a license though, how the hell I have got through with no fines or anything I have no idea :lol:

lamn8tr
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby lamn8tr » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:40 pm

Same for me. Haven't had much trouble with speeding surprisingly.

My car does attract the cops who love to pull me over and have a chat occassionally.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:43 pm

Darren I am the same as you by the sounds of it.

I have never been in any trouble with the law, apart from a small speeding fines in 25 years.

The law is not about to lock you are for a minor offence.

As you said just wait to see what comes in the mail. If you receive a fine just pay it.

Return to “General Talk”