***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

New Proton Waja based on CJ Lancer

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

New Proton Waja based on CJ Lancer

Postby JaCe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:35 am

Not sure if anyone here follows paultan but someone has taken spy shots of the new Proton Waja (the locally made car which is a bit more upmarket/family oriented than say their Gen2 or S16/Saga or Satria). Quite clearly our CJ Lancer underneath eh!

Image Image Image

URL: http://paultan.org/2010/08/02/new-proto ... more-38004

Interestingly the last Waja which I have driven extensively was compared to a BMW e46 3 series in handling if I recall correctly (based on the huge billboard advertisements near Sydney Int'l Airport).

ps. They also have artists rendering based on the above spy shots: http://paultan.org/2010/08/02/rendering ... more-38060

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:38 am

We talked about this at the last VIC meet. Very disappointing for Lancer owners in Malaysia.

2 thoughts:
1. Wonder if buying waja spares will be cheaper?
2. Wonder if any of those in M'sia buying a waja will debadged and rebadge as a Mitsu?
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:44 am

It is like your standard model refresh isn't new front and rear bumper, MY11 lancer anyone :P :P

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:17 am

I am surprised that Mitsubishi have released the panelling and so on to Proton while the model is still current. Usually they wait until the model/body has been superseded....
ClubCJ's first Sportback

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:25 pm

Yea, I always thought Proton uses at least 2 generations behind when it came to the Wajas/Wiras or whatever. Here I was thinking the CH lancer.. but CJ? :(:(:(:(:(
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:19 pm

This is old. Its something to do with the law up there and an agreement between Mitsubishi and Proton. Plus Proton is owned by the government too.

I think it was Mitsubishi either had no regional dealer network in that country, no license to sell in that country due to restrictions or an existing model is already on sale in that region. The Lancer was brought in under Proton for it to be on sale to that region. Its an agreement that is set up to protect the local car manufacturer's much the same as the French laws that protect their local manufacturer's.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:53 pm

tjoz: With all due respect, I have absolutely no idea where you got that. Here's a link to Mitsubishi Malaysia's Lancer Page.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars

EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:16 pm

I am very sure M'sia Mitsubishi sells Lancers... and they cost about RM 90k from what I was told :o
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:06 pm

milobob wrote:I am very sure M'sia Mitsubishi sells Lancers... and they cost about RM 90k from what I was told :o

Yeap. Malaysia do sell Mitsubishi Lancers. It's more expensive there due to the government taxing on foreign cars to protect the local manufacturers.

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:20 pm

i thought of commenting about tjoz's post but too tired to lol
Lancer Evolution 10MR

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:22 pm

What I find pretty shattereing, they still get the black tail lights...
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

RyanMK
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby RyanMK » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:16 pm

whitemonster wrote:i thought of commenting about tjoz's post but too tired to lol

Lol.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:35 pm

ofey wrote:We talked about this at the last VIC meet. Very disappointing for Lancer owners in Malaysia.

2 thoughts:
1. Wonder if buying waja spares will be cheaper?
2. Wonder if any of those in M'sia buying a waja will debadged and rebadge as a Mitsu?

1. Spares should be cheap if they are locally assembled/built (labour is cheap and minimal transport costs).

2. Yes. There are so many Wiralutions and Wajalutions it's not funny. That being said some of them would eat the pants off my Evo (I've sat in 4G63's before; and they are strpiped and lightweight too compared to their Evo origins).

Also too lazy to comment on tjoz's post. It's basically a deal which Mitsu have with Proton to sell them their designs/etc to allow Proton to locally build/assemble models. Most of the local manufacturers have some sort of technology sharing agreement. Foreign import vehicles have massive taxes and hence manufacturers are incentivised to participate in such schemes so that they can still earn some revenue (i.e. royalties). The other option is to establish local assembly operations in Malaysia (or Thailand) but that is both costly and possibly not worthwhile.

That being said, MB now assemble their (current) S500 locally to MB standards so some manufacturers do see potential. But even then, it's RM1mil which is stil more exp than Aus.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

lancervr
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancervr » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:03 am

hey guys an update its official and this is what the new proton looks like.... its called the INSPIRA no longer waja.....bookings apparently have started, hel there is even alrdy a proton inspira club out even though the car hasnt even been launched and are available in 1.8 manual and cvt and 2.0 cvt.... will be officially launched in november....

~LancerVR~
Your friendly neighbourhood Red Devil (cj-red)

M@verik
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby M@verik » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:01 am

I dont know... I kinda like the bumper lol

Weight loss, tuning

Return to “General Talk”