***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Servicing

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

bongo
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Servicing

Postby bongo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:44 pm

It amazes me how someone can buy a new Lancer, (or any car for that matter), pay at least 24 grand and then decide to do their our servicing (risking the 5 year warranty) just to save a few hundred a year. Also cant quite understand the need for mods, again risking the warranty. To me it's like an insurance policy and by following the correct servicing, I've has situations where my vehicles have been repaired for free out of warranty( thanks Ford.)

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:50 pm

but most people only do mods that can be removed back to stock so they dont know. plus the warranty on the parts usually only removes that particular part warranty.

unless they can prove otherwise. like if you change your wheels and your suspension buggers up, that's warranty unless mitsu can prove the wheels where the cause.
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:05 pm

I have paid for dealer / ultra tune servicing for the whole time I have owned my car. Mainly because I couldn't be bothered doing it myself.

Now I am competent, so why should I not be able to change oil etc... I am not a mechanic but have over 10 years experience servicing for a rally team.

I am going to start servicing my car... Getting a service every 15 weeks is getting too expensive when I am competent doing it myself

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Most on here would get book services at a dealer...

Most mods attempted on here would not detract from warranty...

But the other side of the story is pride in one's work and doing a job well.

I can't imagine NOT doing stuff myself.. the true and utter incompetence of some dealerships, using apprentices for jobs, lazy mechanics and inconsequential attitudes makes me glad I am able to do mostly for myself...

Noir
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Noir » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Yes I must admit that alot of pride in workmanship has gone in the trades now. it is sad to see the attitudes of the apprectices coming through the ranks.

If I was to take your attitudes and apply them to all trades then I should wire my own house instead of getting an electrical company to do it just in case they use an apprentice to do it instead of a trades man?

And when you think about it an unqualified person (however careful) can still make the same mistakes as an apprentice but they don't have the backing of a dealership when things go wrong.
Bad Kitty.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:44 pm

Prime Example.

My car went in I think it was for the 45,000 or 60,000 (can't remember) for its service.

While I was in QLD over new years I had to replace my brake fluid as it had boiled. When doing this I noticed that the fluid in the lines was a different colour to the fluid in the reservoir. Now the fluid was meant to be replaced. I paid for it but it wasn't done.

I am competent in car maintenance. Hell I rebuilt the engine in my Telstar, rebuilt driveshafts in another car I owned. Helped assemble countless gearboxes in my mates rally cars.

Why should I pay extra money to have my car serviced by people who cannot even do the job properly when I am more than competent in maintaining my car. I have been driving and maintaining cars since I was 14 or so...

Noir
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Noir » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:59 pm

As I said the pride in workmanship has gone is many of the trades.

If this occured whilst I was on the floor the technician would have been very close to sacked but these days it amounts to a slap on the wrist.

The main reason for this is all the litigation that can occur (bullying in the workplace, etc) so bosses just have to pay up to keep the customer happy.

In your case did you take the concern up with the dealership or MMAL?
Bad Kitty.

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:01 pm

yeah, of course they're the first to tell you that you are NOT ABLE or WILL GET IT WRONG....

pffft... bet I could do their job before they could do mine....

nuff said...

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:02 pm

I didn't bother, my car had another 20,000kms at least on it since... they wouldn't have done anything about it....

I just decided after that to do it myself, at least I know it will be done...

I am even looking at buying a hoist :P

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:03 pm

Noir wrote:Yes I must admit that alot of pride in workmanship has gone in the trades now. it is sad to see the attitudes of the apprectices coming through the ranks.

If I was to take your attitudes and apply them to all trades then I should wire my own house instead of getting an electrical company to do it just in case they use an apprentice to do it instead of a trades man?

And when you think about it an unqualified person (however careful) can still make the same mistakes as an apprentice but they don't have the backing of a dealership when things go wrong.

i'm a prime example of that, i was a first year electrical apprentice, and i wired an entire house by myself. did i make mistakes, yes i did, where they corrected, yes by the tradesman that checked over it.

BUT on another occasion. different tradesman, broke the ceiling installing a extraction fan in bathroom, i as the apprentice, didn't want to leave it like that, i advised the tradesman that he should notify the owners of the house, as they where not there; he didn't just pressed the piece back in to the ceiling and left.

now showing that just cause you are qualified you can make mistakes,

but being unqualifyed, makes it worse, much like a handyman. yes they can do the job, but they will make alot more mistakes then a qualified or part qualified person, and i can tell you that apprentices are lazy, so they will make mistakes but they do know what they are doing,

yes in Lzy_eye's case he has been working with cars for a long time. so he would know a thing or too about oil changes, probably more then some mechanics,

like in the electrical trade i have seen handymen try it and they fail bad.
in mechanics its not deadly, electrical is quite deadly, the company i am employed by, people have died from doing things wrong.

but in mechanics there isn't alot that can kill you.

its good to be able to do it yourself as its not hard, but i think you still should have an actual mechanic look at your car from time to time. if you dont like what they do, let them do it then check it yourself before you leave the mechanics, if they haven't dont what you have paid them to do, you can make them redo it. at there cost, almost every dealership/ mechanics/ panel beater places will redo the job if you are not happy with it.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:04 pm

Don't blame the apprentices or tradesman now days. That is crap sorry!:evil:

Blame managment who control the situation. The blame goes directly to them for mis-management.:evil: :evil:

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:10 pm

You are kidding right?

You go to a mechanic and say to them that they didn't change the brake fluid properly.

Now for 1, almost if not all Mitsu dealers don't have a window where you can see what they are up to. Also, how are you going to check that they have flushed through all the old fluid without bleeding the brakes.

When you take your car to a mechanic, it is a trust thing you are never going to know for certain, unless you basically service the car again to check.

Also I have to disagree. Me working on my brakes is life and death. I have my 6 yr old daughter in my car and think about that when I do anything on my car. I don't know everything but I have enough peers who help me out with info and in turn I help them with their IT queries.

Noir
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Noir » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:13 pm

Sorry Blakey I must disagree here. As a mechanic you have more than one life in your hands at all times.

If I was bleeding brakes(a simple job) and didn't tighten the bleeder correctly. This would result in the loss of the brake fluid. The the car would have no brakes. Now you have a 1100kg piece of metal travelling at speed with occupants that can not stop in a safe distance. Could this be deadly? Ahhhh YES! How many people could be killed?
Bad Kitty.

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:40 pm

I wired up my conveted shed too....(now a two-bedroom teenager's retreat with bathroom and kitchen etc)...

I am not a tradesman and could not legally connect it to the breakers. Did the right one and left all the points and lights out, so he could check my work and only connected the earth and neutral to the bar, left the active for him to do.. I can see Blakey and Adrian rolling their eyes....

He said I would have been a good tradie, everything was to code (or over)... I only read a few how-to books and web presentations.. not rocket science... Hey, I also did my own framing, gyprock laying, tile laying, plumbing, painting, flooring, insulation (well, I did the lot). I have more tools than some of them, including dumb things like a refrigeration mechanics vacuum pump for evacuating airconditioner lines... oh I have installed 4 aircons at my premises too... probably get a bagging for that as well.... I have seen fridge mechs just vent gas to clear lines of air... because they just don't care...

Not advocating people do electricals themselves, in fact am dead-set against it.. but you cannot generalise about people.. some are quite accomplished in many things. My old man has been a professional photographer, owned his own boatbuilding business (34ft cruisers and up) and is now a QBSA registered builder.. last month he was so pissed he could not get a nose cone for his 5th wheeler motorhome, he just set about building his own fibreglass one... mamoth task, but it looks OEM stock.

he also does all his own services on cars.. some people are just knowlegeable and practical...

But to say there are not useless tradies out there or they always actually do what they say is a crock....

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:23 pm

A friend of mine left his clubby at holden all day for a service and when he picked it up a 5pm he noticed the odo hadn't changed, on inspection no work had been done on the car. Holden had still charged him for the work before they gave him back the keys upon the dealers investigation they came back with 'the apperntice had sign the work sheet as they were going to do the car but had to have their lunch break first and forgot about it'. Another friend of mine always used this one mechanic to do his servicing as he would take my old oil bottles (filled with old oil) to this mechanic and say 'use my oil'. Funny thing is that they always put fresh oil in his car and not charge him for it, and the suckers always put the bottle of used oil into their boots thinking they were getting a $100 bottle of oil.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

Return to “General Talk”