***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Servicing

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

bongo
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby bongo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 pm

I'm not saying a dealer's service centre is great, in fact I've had problems too. But it maintains my warranty and the problem was rectified immediately. And everyone keeps going on about the servicing as just an oil change. While I too believe sometime that's all that happens, it's not supposed to be. Other items are supposed to be checked and maintained. As I mentioned before, it's a cheap insurance policy.

bongo
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby bongo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:37 pm

but most people only do mods that can be removed back to stock so they dont know. plus the warranty on the parts usually only removes that particular part warranty.

unless they can prove otherwise. like if you change your wheels and your suspension buggers up, that's warranty unless mitsu can prove the wheels where the cause.
I believe the onus would be on you to prove to Mitsubishi that the wheels did not bugger up your suspension.. after all, it they who will be doing the work.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:37 pm

Not cheap when you do 1000kms a week and they don't even do what they are paid....

I boiled my fluid on the way to QLD. Now I cannot blame that on the service, but if they had of changed the fluid when it was scheduled it may not have boiled...

You tend not to brake very well which is not pleasant when you are in holiday traffic!!

I will get one of my mechanic friends to sign the book.... simple...

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:39 pm

I also take my Mitsubishi's to the dealer for all servicing but my holden I do myself. The VRX and RA are the only 2 new cars I've bought and not wanting to have a sh!t fight over claims I decided to let the dealer do all work. But as the holden was second hand there was no warrenty so it makes sense to do what you can if you are cappable.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:42 pm

Speedie wrote: Another friend of mine always used this one mechanic to do his servicing as he would take my old oil bottles (filled with old oil) to this mechanic and say 'use my oil'. Funny thing is that they always put fresh oil in his car and not charge him for it, and the suckers always put the bottle of used oil into their boots thinking they were getting a $100 bottle of oil.

THAT IS BRILLIANT !!!!

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 pm

tryg wrote:I wired up my conveted shed too....(now a two-bedroom teenager's retreat with bathroom and kitchen etc)...

I am not a tradesman and could not legally connect it to the breakers. Did the right one and left all the points and lights out, so he could check my work and only connected the earth and neutral to the bar, left the active for him to do.. I can see Blakey and Adrian rolling their eyes....

He said I would have been a good tradie, everything was to code (or over)... I only read a few how-to books and web presentations.. not rocket science... Hey, I also did my own framing, gyprock laying, tile laying, plumbing, painting, flooring, insulation (well, I did the lot). I have more tools than some of them, including dumb things like a refrigeration mechanics vacuum pump for evacuating airconditioner lines... oh I have installed 4 aircons at my premises too... probably get a bagging for that as well.... I have seen fridge mechs just vent gas to clear lines of air... because they just don't care...

Not advocating people do electricals themselves, in fact am dead-set against it.. but you cannot generalise about people.. some are quite accomplished in many things. My old man has been a professional photographer, owned his own boatbuilding business (34ft cruisers and up) and is now a QBSA registered builder.. last month he was so pissed he could not get a nose cone for his 5th wheeler motorhome, he just set about building his own fibreglass one... mamoth task, but it looks OEM stock.

he also does all his own services on cars.. some people are just knowlegeable and practical...

But to say there are not useless tradies out there or they always actually do what they say is a crock....

as an apprentice i see nothing wrong with what you did with the electrical side., as its not illegal to do put the wiring in your self. and you did get a qualified person to properly connect and test it, in a way i think you can do all of it your self as long as you get a qualified electrification to test and check it, all in all the only hard part about domestic wiring it mains and probably protection for wire's ie Circuirt breakers and even thenthat is not that hard. if you know the wire limit then that's basically your CBlimit. so 2.5mm can take like 25A so you would use a 20A breaker. only really problem you hit is large runs and voltage drop. but in most houses when are you gonna get that where it affects your CB sizes.

same with aircons people the specific licence they need is for transporting and holding/using the gas, not installing and what not of aircons. iv installed a few for my old boss, in his house and in others homes, didnt gas them as we didn't have the gas but we did everything up to pulling vacuum for the gas.

but as a electrician, you have every persons house you ever do electrical work in, no to mention it can burn down a >300grand house, so there isnt just lives also property.

ok i may have been wrong in the way of danger to others, but in harm to self electrical work is not something you want to do if you have no knowledge at all about. like most handymen. trust me i have seem one that connected all 3 wires active neutral and earth all in the 1 connection point and wondered wire the CB kept tripping. hell the instructions are on the dam packet for god sake. read the packets everything comes in and you can basically be an electrician for domestic.

besides all the rules and codes for everything, you will be able to do it.

tryg
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby tryg » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:16 pm

I guess my rant means we cannot generalise about people, because some of the most talented motorcycle motor builders in my club are not mechanics and the guy who is building our new clubhouse is not a builder....

I like the idea of having a mate who is a mechanic, do the service yourself while he is having a beer at yours and get him to sign the book...

bongo
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby bongo » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:18 am

Speedie wrote:
Another friend of mine always used this one mechanic to do his servicing as he would take my old oil bottles (filled with old oil) to this mechanic and say 'use my oil'. Funny thing is that they always put fresh oil in his car and not charge him for it, and the suckers always put the bottle of used oil into their boots thinking they were getting a $100 bottle of oil.

Why would your friend go to this mechanic when he was blaintinly cheating him ?

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:44 am

Yeah, I would be wondering what else the mechanic is not doing.. Also, one day when the mechanic realises he will put the sump oil in instead of knocking it off..

slickthug
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby slickthug » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:10 am

yeh im up for a 1 year service and now im terrified sending my car back for a service after what happened on my 1st service -

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=1020

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:09 am

My car went in for it's 1 year service last month.

I insisted to stay with the car while it was being serviced and I drove the car in the test drive with the mechanic was in the passengers seat.

At no time did I leave the car or hand over the keys.

gavt
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby gavt » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:45 pm

Gotta say, the cost of servicing Japanese cars is still a loooooot cheaper than servicing Euro's... especially at dealers!

I have a polo gti at the moment (trading it in for a lancer) and an oil change costs upwards of $380!!

Major suckage!

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Amen to that. My 60,000 on the Astra was over $600!!

bongo
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby bongo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Did you have to change the timimg belt on the Astra? I remember Holden dropping the timing belt change to 60,000ks (from 1000,000) when they kept failing.

Return to “General Talk”