***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

New 2009 TurboDiesel CJ Lancer

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:07 pm

The difference is a maximum of 10% in Australia. In the CJ, 100 is about 96 from memory. Easy way to tell is either get a GPS and look at the speed difference. Or an easier way. Set cruise control to desired speed. On a flat road, with the cruise on, reset your averages page of the dash (avg speed and fuel cons). Because you are keeping the speed with cruise, the average speed that shows up will be the same (provided road is flat). The speed shown is the ACTUAL speed you are doing, not the speed shown on the dash. Its funny, with speed set to 100 for eg, it shows 96 or something. So the car knows what the real speed is, but shows you a faster speed. My GPS has also confirmed the speed difference.

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:10 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:The difference is a maximum of 10% in Australia. In the CJ, 100 is about 96 from memory. Easy way to tell is either get a GPS and look at the speed difference. Or an easier way. Set cruise control to desired speed. On a flat road, with the cruise on, reset your averages page of the dash (avg speed and fuel cons). Because you are keeping the speed with cruise, the average speed that shows up will be the same (provided road is flat). The speed shown is the ACTUAL speed you are doing, not the speed shown on the dash. Its funny, with speed set to 100 for eg, it shows 96 or something. So the car knows what the real speed is, but shows you a faster speed. My GPS has also confirmed the speed difference.

+1

jool
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby jool » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:49 pm

wow thats interesting Info..
thankx

Vaelehn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Vaelehn » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:34 am

yea that is interesting. good info bro. still wonder if thats for all cars everywhere? or if it maybe is based on where its made?

Hoggy
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Hoggy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:31 am

Yeah it is for safety reasons and to protect the manufacturer - imagin getting caught speeding even though your speedo says you weren't.

I had an portable sat nav in one of my cars that showed the speed I was going, I would say there was about a 10% difference

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:16 pm

yep u learn something new everyday!!!!

Vaelehn
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Vaelehn » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:50 pm

interesting, i mean i knew speedometers could get off and whatnot but i didnt think they made them a little faster. makes a good argument against cops if pulled over i suppose haha

TheRents
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby TheRents » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:12 pm

you also need to allow for wear on tyres which could also change your speedo reading, that's why the cops have to give (from memory) 6% when they use radar guns and speed detecting devices! It is very rare for people to get booked doing 1 - 2 km over the speed limit!

Return to “General Talk”