***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Should I Get an iPhone?

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Should I Get an iPhone?

Postby tadz0rz » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Haha im back.

Originally i posted a thread on whether i should get an ipod touch, and now that the iphone is out, im contemplating on whether or not got get one. The only thing thats really stopping me from getting it is the touch screen with texting.

Using the texting on the ipod touch, its really good for a touch screen, but i use it for internet, i dont know how id handle it for SMSing. Ive never really been a fan of touch screen phones, and i know that the iphone has one of the best touch screen user interfaces out there but im still on the fence.

Now. Down to a few questions some might be able to answer

Im currently with TPG mobile, (maybe some have seen it, some havnt, google it)

TPG mobile has no contract cap plans. Im on a $19 cap with $300 worth of calls to ANY network. Extremely good value. From what i know, TPG uses the optus network and i want to go on a plan from optus, but not use their sim card.

Now I know that iPhones come locked to the network that you get it from, but since TPG runs on the optus network, do you think it still will be locked to the optus sim card?

Second question

Im fairly geeky (work at computer store :P) and ive jailbroken my ipod touch with the 2.2.1 software and recently updated it to the ipod touch 3.0 firmware, unjailbroken because i wanted the bluetooth feature which i havnt been able to get working. But anyway.

If anyone knows how to Jailbreak the 3.0.1 or whatever the newest iPhone firmware is, can you let me know. Whether you can post it here or not, id say dont, PM me if you know.

Only thing im thinking is, since i can easily jailbreak my ipod with the 2.2.1 firmware, i might just use that as my app play around thing and the iPhone as the....whatever you want to call it.

So basicly what im asking is...

If im on TPG which runs on the optus network, and i got an optus locked iphone, would my TPG sim card work?

And

If anyone knows how to jailbreak the newest iPhone can you contact me.

Thanks =)
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:14 pm

You would really have to test your Sim in a friends optus phone to try it.... I know Virgin Sims dont work in locked optus phones or vice versa anymore.

Texting is easy if the words are in the dictionary. The predictive text makes texting easy.

Dont know about jailbreaking... haven't bothered personally....

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:22 pm

Apple in the US locking phones that were hacked. They can do it remotely. There was a big uproar about it.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

WallyD
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby WallyD » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:22 pm

What is to jailbreak the iPhone??

This post was done via my iPhone. I love it!!!

I'm on a capped $100 business plan with optus which includes $750 of calls and 800 mb of data. The data is only when use on 3g, it connects to wifi first if available then searches for 3g
Last edited by WallyD on Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:25 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Don't get an iPhone.

Jailbreak is not worth it anymore. The App Store is pretty good now. And on the iPhone 3GS Jailbreak is not really that successful.

Stick with your iPod and get a decent phone is my opinion. You already have all the great features of the iPhone (games, touch screen etc) in your iPod, so why double it up with an iPhone.

--

As for the BT in the ipod. You need a2nd Gen or newer, and it's not BT like it is on regular phones. It is only for in-game muliplayer etc.

--

Also, you do know what you can't do on an iPhone don't you?

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:37 pm

something about MMS or something like that.

Thats another thing

If i get the 3G 8GB does that have the video recorder in it?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:41 pm

There is a massive list lol

The 8GB doesn't do Video Recording as it is still the older 3G model. And it still has the 2MP Camera, slower processor etc

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:42 pm

Well maybe ill just pay the extra $7 a month for the 3Gs :P

I use the camera alot on my phone, esp the video....

if i do get it it looks like 3Gs is the way to go....

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:47 pm

If you use the camera a lot don't get an iPhone. The camera is horrible. Seriously.

WallyD
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby WallyD » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:50 pm

Mms and bluetooth photoshare us fixed with the upgrade. I don't know about the s, buy I know u can get a video app

ANDROS
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ANDROS » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:52 pm

Hey tadz..

i own a 32g 3gs and i previously owned the 16g 3g model...

1. I have the new jailbreak

2. TPG has merged with soul mobile (run on optus) .. i know for a fact that souls sim cards work with the locked (optus) iphone as i used to have one... i also reccomend to stay away from that company if you go on a new plan... if u want more info why PM me...

3. I HIGHLY reccomend this product... and have also converted my brother and dad (who were anti apple) and they now love it... plus if u have a fault in the phone 99% of the time they would replace it for a brand new one on the spot (must go to the apple store to do this)..

4. The texting is hard at first.... but it becomes second nature and u dont even notice... i find i can type faster with this rather than physical buttons now...

5. Video is not on the 3g model... only the 3gs

any other questions feel free to ask ... i know it like the back of my hand... and trust me... you will hear heaps of ppl telling u not to get it... thats just because they havent seen the full capabilities of this product... however in saying that.. this is a mobile targeted for entertainment .. and is not like your blackberries or similar products that have features u prob would never use....

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:53 pm

From what ive seen the video recording quality of the 3Gs is actually quite good.

3Gs Quality Test

ANDROS
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ANDROS » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:55 pm

yeah the video quality is decent for a phone... there are phones with far better cameras ... but there always gonna be phone cameras...

but if you wanted to take decent footage.... thats what a camera is made for :P

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:02 pm

And the iPhone has a compass so you dont get lost. Most other phones have GPS but apple will give you a compass.

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

ANDROS
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ANDROS » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:06 pm

Speedie wrote:And the iPhone has a compass so you dont get lost. Most other phones have GPS but apple will give you a compass.

Hahaha

the main use for the compass is in the GPS google maps application, when you face a particalar direction it turns the map accurately as u move... simple but other phones and gps lack this i believe.

Return to “General Talk”