***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Australia

Start a Topic! Have Your Say & Talk About Anything.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

M@verik
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Australia

Postby M@verik » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:14 am

Guys im considering moving to Australia. Can someone tell me about it in more detail? Im really interested in Melbourne. I could also be doing my honours year at Monash in Australia (Currently at the South Africa campus). All info and help is highly appreciated :)

Weight loss, tuning

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:10 am

Its the best country on the Planet.
but keep that to yourself M@verik !!!

Melbourne is Awesome.........but Sydney is better lolz!

blade888
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blade888 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:34 am

I've spent most of my time in Melbourne and Sydney of late:

I live in Sydney and there's plenty to do around here, more so than other cities. Like Oz said, it's better than awesome! Plus there lots of landmarks and great backdrops to take pics of your car with and cruise around to. It's a great mix of inner city, Suburban and bush areas to visit and look at with lots of different people to meet and greet

That said I do prefer Melbourne for the roads and general public driver behaviour and ettiquette. Sydney sadly does have the statistic of having the worst drivers in the country and in the upper range on the world stage. (-Definately not- saying the guys from Sydney here in the club are bad drivers though!) I would strongly suggest taking a defensive driver course through Driver Skills Australia or another organisation that provides such courses. Melbourne also has better shopping as it's renown for, the shopping centers and complexes are simply the best in the country.

As for the rest, I haven't traveled around those cities well enough recently to give a good opinion about them. But from what I do know, Adeliade, well.. lots and lots of nightspots for partying, nice wide roads as well. As for Darwin, well it's HOT. If you like tropical weather, it's great, the community is very close nit as well. Perth, haven't been there yet so can't say anything really.
Last edited by blade888 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sportback VR/GReddy Spectrum Elite/Advanti Medusa/K&N High-Flow Performance Panel Filter/Cusco Racing Braces

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:38 am

^^^ nick (shakes head) what are you on about!!!!

i don't think so buddy...!
& i have been driving for 20 years.

blade888
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blade888 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:54 am

Yeah but I've been witness to so many crashes along Pac Hwy all due to driver aggressiveness and lack of courtsey on the roads.

The classic "Indicate to change lanes, and the person behind you accelerates to cut you off". That alone I've seen two road fatalities cause of it. (Person indicates with ample distance, person in the other lane accelerates to prevent them, then slams into the person coming across, then pile drives into a truck ahead of them both side on, driver who was legally changing lanes dies.).

Whats sad is only 40% of the time when I indicate to change lanes with over 2 car lengths ahead of the person, they give way, otherwise they accelerate and cut me off. I'm not going slower than they are nor am I taking my time coming across the lane, the general driver public is just agressive and do not want people in front of them.

There was a 4 year study published last month about it. I think there is a link on ACA somewhere..

Sportback VR/GReddy Spectrum Elite/Advanti Medusa/K&N High-Flow Performance Panel Filter/Cusco Racing Braces

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:58 am

In my one week at melbourne I was horrified with the lack of driving skill that I saw :| from the majority of drivers, even the bus I was on!..

merging without looking or indicating and almost causing crashed A LOT
running red lights constantly
impatient drivers tailgating others, the list can go on :shock:

Don't come to Perth :P there isn't really much to do here, there's some good roads to drive on though, plenty of kangaroo's though
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

blanka
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby blanka » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:59 am

mate its great, im not much of a city boy went down to brisbane and sydney a few times and they were great but as im a country boy i perfer my city town of Cairns its paradise here lolz but overall Australia is a great country, greatful that im one of the lucky ones that got an oppotunity to come here
Uchiha Itachi

blade888
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blade888 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:15 am

Hey Graham!!! Was hoping for your input!!!
So Perth insnt that great?! How bout way of life there? Is it less hussle and bustle than syd or melb? Also it's good to see another persons opinion on driving stuff in the larger cities, especially one who isn't from the east coast cities! +1 buddy!

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:05 am

Half of Perth is already South African.... Maverick would love it - unless he's trying to escape his people!
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:52 am

blade888 wrote:Hey Graham!!! Was hoping for your input!!!
So Perth insnt that great?! How bout way of life there? Is it less hussle and bustle than syd or melb? Also it's good to see another persons opinion on driving stuff in the larger cities, especially one who isn't from the east coast cities! +1 buddy!

Perth is nice, don't get me wrong but there isn't as much to do here, if you're looking to settle down it should be okay. Definately less hussle and bussle in Perth though.
as with any other city though, at peak hour it'll be packed and traffic will be slower than normal.

But I'm sure east coast people are used to that style of driving and probably think we're dodgy too :lol:
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

lizziev1
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby lizziev1 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:05 pm

Hey Hey,

Melbourne is awesome!

I go to Monash Uni here and its great.
The Clayton campus is a bit scary cause its so big but Caufield and Berwick are great because they are smaller, it all depends on what you're studying too.

If you're doing your Honors...Melbourne's South East suburbs would be ideal because Clayton has the biggest library and 80% of the tutors are based there. :)

Deano1964
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Deano1964 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:19 pm

Melbourne Rocks!
I went to Monash Clayton!
Best Campus! It's even got its own postcode!
Now thats a uni! :)

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:36 pm

being a country boy i love the country and hate the city, but i found Melb had better drivers especially outside of the city, and sydney is just sh!t for drivers, i have seen that many people run red lights.

could move to Wagga Wagga, (half way between Sydney and Melbourne)

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:53 pm

What I like about Melbourne is that malls are open till 9 PM on Thursdays and Fridays (Sydney does it on Thursdays only). I prefer Sydney in the overall CBD atmosphere. It feels more advanced.

We have relatives in Sydney wanting us to move over to them but that won't happen until my crush marries someone else.

Driving, FYI, is bad whichever city you go to, quite unfortunately. Motoring here is a complete contradiction of a typical Aussie which is a nice and courteous person. On the road, most people are selfish, uncaring and dangerous.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:31 am

I've been in Melbourne for four years, and i love it here , apart from the speed limits :twisted:

If your looking for a slower moving pace, come to Melbourne.

The food in Sydney is awesome though, and most of the car shops i've seen on magazines are in NSW :(
Lancer Evolution 10MR

Return to “General Talk”